Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Master, or slave, or who knows lol

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Master, or slave, or who knows lol

So I just wanted to see what would happen if I went and started up my car and tried to drive it. Fired right up and went into all gears perfectly. Pedal still feels a little mushy but for some odd reason it went into gear perfectly today after months of not going into gear. Which makes me wonder what the hell is truly wrong with my car. I have replaced the master cylinder once already and it still wouldnt go into gear. However today for some odd reason went into all gears smoothly and I drove it around for about 10 minutes no problems. Ideas? Thoughts?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe air slowly bled out of the slave as the car sat dormant for so long.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RADEoN
maybe air slowly bled out of the slave as the car sat dormant for so long.
Seriously is that even possible?
Old 06-09-2011, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dirty fluid could be your problem? how many miles on the clutch? sounds like you solved your problem now just bleed the hell outta it and you should be fine
Old 06-09-2011, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MJs1FastSS
dirty fluid could be your problem? how many miles on the clutch? sounds like you solved your problem now just bleed the hell outta it and you should be fine
Fluid is brand new bro.....I replaced it with DOT4 myself. There are only 46k miles on the clutch, however its the standard cluth that came with the car from 2000. Im wondering should I just go ahead and change out the slave cylinder? Also Im wondering since they have to drop the tranny to get to the slave should I go ahead and get a performance clutch installed at the same time?
Old 06-09-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigBadVoodoo Daddy
Fluid is brand new bro.....I replaced it with DOT4 myself. There are only 46k miles on the clutch, however its the standard cluth that came with the car from 2000. Im wondering should I just go ahead and change out the slave cylinder? Also Im wondering since they have to drop the tranny to get to the slave should I go ahead and get a performance clutch installed at the same time?
that would be the best bet
Old 06-09-2011, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MJs1FastSS
that would be the best bet
I know what you're saying bro, Im just asking cause I was planning on putting the money I would use for a clutch on headers.....so thats why I was asking if you thought it was worth it to go ahead and get a performance clutch put in right now.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigBadVoodoo Daddy
I know what you're saying bro, Im just asking cause I was planning on putting the money I would use for a clutch on headers.....so thats why I was asking if you thought it was worth it to go ahead and get a performance clutch put in right now.

yeah headers can always come later and easy to do...rather than dropping the trans and knowing everything is done right all at once for self reassurance.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:31 PM
FormerVendor

If the fluid level is constant and the fluid is clean, and if the pedal is consistent in regards to effort then it wouldn't hurt to try driving it a bit to see if anything else happens. If the problem returns then it is best to examine the parts and find the cause of the issue. If you change the slave then do the clutch at the same time as it requires the same labor. Let me know if you decide you need a clutch and I will be happy to assist you. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2011, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
If the fluid level is constant and the fluid is clean, and if the pedal is consistent in regards to effort then it wouldn't hurt to try driving it a bit to see if anything else happens. If the problem returns then it is best to examine the parts and find the cause of the issue. If you change the slave then do the clutch at the same time as it requires the same labor. Let me know if you decide you need a clutch and I will be happy to assist you. Thanks!
So I have gone on 2 joy rides so far, and still no issues. Clutch feels strong and vehicle goes into gear normally. I have no idea why though. Do you think I should still go ahead and install a new clutch and slave cylinder?
Old 06-22-2011, 01:48 PM
12 Second Club

I was having a similar issue, I would have a really hard time getting it into gears, and reverse was just impossible. After letting the car sit for a week, I came out and it shifted incredibly easy, even when I beat on it. After driving it for a few hours and some hard runs, it was hard to get into gear again. A week of sitting, it was perfect again. So I think its very possible that air escapes on its own, or the dirty fluid finds its way to the top and the clean into the slave? No idea, but it happens every time. I'm replacing the clutch and slave in a week or so, I'll see if that solves the issue.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gatsby
I was having a similar issue, I would have a really hard time getting it into gears, and reverse was just impossible. After letting the car sit for a week, I came out and it shifted incredibly easy, even when I beat on it. After driving it for a few hours and some hard runs, it was hard to get into gear again. A week of sitting, it was perfect again. So I think its very possible that air escapes on its own, or the dirty fluid finds its way to the top and the clean into the slave? No idea, but it happens every time. I'm replacing the clutch and slave in a week or so, I'll see if that solves the issue.
Yes this is EXACTLY what is happening.....please keep me updated on your progress as Im curious about your results. Im probably just gonna go ahead and replace the clutch and the slave myself.....better safe than sorry

Quick Reply: Master, or slave, or who knows lol