Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

1st time at the Dragstrip!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st time at the Dragstrip!

So I took my 05 V to the strip on Friday, and I was disappointed. I can def use more practice because I was terrible.

My best time after 4 runs was a 13.78. Coincidentally that was my 1st run, which is my 1st run ever at a drag strip in any car. I had wheel hop the first run but I powered through and it wasn't too bad. My 2nd run I was easier on the throttle and got a 14.07.

My problem then became that I let the car sit for about an hour and by this time the track cooled off and so did my tires. My 3rd run I forgot to take traction control off so that was terrible. Then the 4th and final run I was up against a Volvo and lost. I spun through 1st, 2nd, and into 3rd gear. I almost caught up by the quarter mile but lost by 2 tenths.

I felt as though I was easy on the shifts my 4th run but the wheel hop was terrible. Do you guys think besides getting gforce axles is there anything I can do with my style of driving to help the wheel hop?
Old 06-13-2011, 09:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not horrible for your first time. Practice, practice, practice. My last vehicle was an AWD Yukon Denali. Not technique required, just mash the pedal. Haven't got my 2 week old 2011 V to the track but I am assuming I will need practice as well since I can easily spin the tires.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

you need more tire sir. Or better tires. or both.

I have yet to take the CTS to the strip and never did drag my Legacy(dayum weak subaru transmissions)...

But i have taken other cars to the strip and even in a SpecV sentra better tires made a huge difference.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, the wheelhop sucks esp. if you still have the factory runcraps. My best time was 13.60@106.85 with the factory tires. I've been tempted to get axles but I don't plan on going back to the strip often.

EDIT: Now I have Hankook Ventus V12's in stock size so it is a bit more sticky. I haven't launched the car since the new tires.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bish
Not horrible for your first time. Practice, practice, practice. My last vehicle was an AWD Yukon Denali. Not technique required, just mash the pedal. Haven't got my 2 week old 2011 V to the track but I am assuming I will need practice as well since I can easily spin the tires.
Good to know my times weren't too terrible. If all the parts come in soon, my cam should be installed hopefully this week. I'll get some better tires and hope my times improve somewhat.

What is it about the strip that makes wheel hop so bad? I had way better traction on the street outside the strip?
Old 06-13-2011, 10:37 AM

More traction than the axles/suspension can handle. Our cars are independant rears(better for handling but shat on the strip) and they allow the tires to independtantly move up and down.

Easy fix is Gforce axles.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hnic91
Good to know my times weren't too terrible. If all the parts come in soon, my cam should be installed hopefully this week. I'll get some better tires and hope my times improve somewhat.

What is it about the strip that makes wheel hop so bad? I had way better traction on the street outside the strip?
You generally don't launch as hard on the street I think, plus the launching pad at the strip is probably alot stickier/warmer than the street.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:47 AM

VHT is a good thing but can make it harder to NOT break things. hard launching your car on good tires with a sticky track is a good way to find the weak point in your driveline.

Honda drag cars are always more reliable away from the track until they get HUGE on the axles because the extra traction at the track will mean they hook great but that just puts all the stress on the axles.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pharoh
You generally don't launch as hard on the street I think, plus the launching pad at the strip is probably alot stickier/warmer than the street.
Axles are definitely in the future, I didn't think that I launched too hard at the strip for fear of breaking something. I am looking into getting the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:07 AM

Do some research. For one on street tires, DO NOT BURN OUT!!!! most that is needed is a quick chirp of the tires. Full burnouts actually over heat most street tires and decrease grip.

Avoid the waterbox. Unless you do a GOOD burnout you will inevitablly have water left in the sipes and channels in your street tire. THen as you stage this water gets under your tire and BOOM no traction
Old 06-13-2011, 11:12 AM

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5202304AAOTgoc

Little more insight
Old 06-13-2011, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CTSVBiggie
Thank you, I tried to avoid the water but I think I might've still driven in it some. Didn't realize it was such a big deal.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:28 AM

would you dump your clutch in the rain?

Your burnout on MOST street tires should be dry and just a chirp for 1-2 seconds at most. just clean debis off and heat em up a little. They wont hold the heat but doing too much can over heat them and lead to chunking.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

That's a bummer about the water. Guessing it had no effect on my AWD Denali I ran last time. Problem with Route 66 Raceway is you really can't run around the water as it covers both lanes and then some.

So, a chirp for 1-2 second is what I am looking for I guess.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

would you dump your clutch in the rain?

Your burnout on MOST street tires should be dry and just a chirp for 1-2 seconds at most. just clean debis off and heat em up a little. They wont hold the heat but doing too much can over heat them and lead to chunking.
Well I never dumped the clutch. I did go somewhat thru the water which was stupid, but I think what I did is after the car was in gear I didn't ease in on the throttle enough. I'll have to practice not mashing on the gas once in gear. I baby my car on the street so I haven't really had much practice launching the car.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:36 AM

From all the research i have done over the years yes. I am by far no drag strip guru(only dragged FWD low power cars and only a handful of times) but I tend to read up on things a lot.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing all the other guys said. No burnout on street tires, avoid the water box (I always had people asking me "why didn't you burn out, yo?!" "Uh, because I'm not on drag rubber..." and they never understood it). Now when I autocross, I always hot dog it off the line to warm up the rears a bit and make sure they get grippy quick, but no burnout.

Also where are you shifting? Before or after the power starts to drop off? Always want to keep the car where it's making power, and shifting as it starts to drop.

Learn to feather the clutch with a bit more throttle. It'll lead to premature clutch wear, but will help with controlling the car better.

I had a little fwd turbo car that was a beast to hang onto if you didn't feather the clutch right.

Talk to the F-Body guys and get some tips There's usually a gaggle of them out there on drag nights

And don't "power through the hopping." That's how you break expensive ****, and then you look like a jackass when your *** is getting towed off the track/home.

-meaty
Old 06-13-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am yet to see one drag strip result post where someone is actually not dissappointed with how the car performed. Hell I was more happy with being able to drive the car home then run a good time.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:37 AM
Launching!

you need more tire sir. Or better tires. or both.

I have yet to take the CTS to the strip and never did drag my Legacy(dayum weak subaru transmissions)...

But i have taken other cars to the strip and even in a SpecV sentra better tires made a huge difference.
I miss my SpecV sometimes. That thing was a blast to beat on. Surprised quite a few people in that thing.

I needto get the new V to the track. I want to be disappointed too! LOL
Old 06-14-2011, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by itsslow98
I am yet to see one drag strip result post where someone is actually not dissappointed with how the car performed. Hell I was more happy with being able to drive the car home then run a good time.
lol I was def scared of breaking something. Here is a qik video of a run. Not great quality.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....15454&comments

Quick Reply: 1st time at the Dragstrip!