Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Luck???

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 12:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad Luck???

i have a 2000 ws6 bird with a 4000 stall 4l60e.this weekend i unhooked my battery for about 30 minutes for the first time since ive had the converter(about 2 weeks).once i hooked it back up i did a little driving and the trans is acting retarded.not sure if its fried or not but it doesnt lock up anymore and its slips a little and at one point the car was bogging bad like it wanted to cut off like a dying fuel pump.also it was flaring on the 2nd to 3rd shift.then itll get to the point where it flat out wont move anymore.ill cut the car off and restart immediately then all will be well for the next couple hundred feet shifting thru all gears as long as im babying it then it gets gay again.took it for a ride the other night and had to restart car about 20 times to make it home lol.What the hell happened when i unhooked the battery? or is it just coincidence my trans took a crap?
Old 06-21-2011, 01:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Moving this to AT.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:11 AM
Launching!

It sounds like a coincidence. The forward clutches are wiped out or the clutch in the converter is wiped out which plugged the filter either way the trans needs to come out and be inspected.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

do not think any of problems are cause by "unhooked my battery ", the PCM may/will require a few driving cycles to relearn it's tune, after relearn all should be as before "unhooking"

Johnny
Old 06-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Launching!

Disconnecting your battery has no affect on the trans engagements.If the vehicle moves a few hundred feet or so and stops that is a mechanical problem.Especially if it was slipping before it crapped out.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 72blownvert
Disconnecting your battery has no affect on the trans engagements.
Well now actually that's incorrect. Shutting the car off and/or pulling a battery terminal will reset a "limp home" condition.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

OP, did you check the trans fluid level...?
Old 06-22-2011, 07:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Well now actually that's incorrect. Shutting the car off and/or pulling a battery terminal will reset a "limp home" condition.
You are incorrect. The post says the car stops moving.Limp mode is 3rd gear and the car would be sluggish but would always engage.When the car stops moving that is a trans problem not limp mode.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well then you would be incorrect again, limp mode is not third gear. Coming from someone who's 4k stall could throw a trans into limp mode at will, I think I know just a little about the subject.

And to add to that, starting from a gear other then first with a 4k converter would be.......................dun, dun, dun........sluggish. Jeez.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:51 AM
Launching!

Its not sluggish the car stops moving read the post again smart guy.And yes limp mode is 3rd gear whether you have a stall or not.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

No, it isn't third. I can't make this more clear. And what internal transmission problem do you know of that fixes itself when the computer is reset hmmm? Please do tell.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:28 AM
Launching!

Please tell me what limp mode is because to me limp mode is 3rd gear its news to me that it is not.There is no internal problem that will be fixed from reseting the computer.What is happening is the trans started to slip then stop moving the filter is plugged solid when you shut the car off for a few seconds and start it up you get enough fluid through the filter to drive a few more feet then it stops moving again hense the internal trans problem.Resetting the computer has nothing to do with that.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

"Limp home" is 2nd then 3rd, no 4th, 1st, or lock-up. I have been in it 20 times or more. The trans will shift 2>3. What you don't get is me and him PM'd several times and after me explaining it he does believe that very well could be what the trans is doing.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:00 AM
Launching!

Thats a default then true limp mode is 3rd gear only meaning no 12v to both shift solenoids.If that is what he said it is doing ok but in his first post he said the car would flat out not move anymore. I am not trying to get in a pissing contest just trying to help out by the description of the problem on 1st post it is obviously doing something different.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:44 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Hmm Ok Limpmode is a default to 3rd gear only however you can manually select second so both of you are correct in a way, If you have the shifter in D or OD then it will start in 3rd gear. However manually you can selct 2nd gear you will not be able to get 1st or 4th eith the exception of the installation of the transgo kit then while you can select 1st it will be as if the brake is applied (low reverse and 3-4 clutch applied) .
As for the OP the best test is to place in reverse if it wont move there then the filter is clogged, I would drop the pan and see whats in there myself but it does sound like a dead trans and likly the converter to now
Frank

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-22-2011, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

When my trans tripped the code 0757 (IIRC) shift solenoid failure for applying heavy throttle directly after the 2>3 shift the trans went into default/limp mode or whatever it is you want to call it. In D or OD, the car would start in second, and shift once to third. The ability of the trans was flawless using those 2 gears. It would shift using those gears in the same way and fashion I could imagine a Powerglide would. It was not stuck in third and did not lose the ability to shift. You could pull over, shut the car off, restart it and all functions were back 100%. Applying heavy throttle (with a 4k converter) directly after the shift made the fault set because the computer sees that a shift did not occur when calcuting the current rpm vs. trans output speed. It makes perfect sense and thats exactly how it goes down. It was repeatable indefinitely until I eliminated that test report for specific code under the trans section. NOW, it may very from different years of transmissions/cars, but thats exactly how it went down in my 01.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes i checked my fluid level is fine and not burnt and i have a nice big cooler on it...i checked codes and it had nun related to the tranny,or do i have to have a scanner like a Tech 2 to check tranny dtc's?

its just weird as hell that this didnt start untill i unhooked the battery.i wont have time to drop the pan right now. if my forward clutches are shot why does the trans go back to normal after restarting car.i thought when a clutch is gone,its gone? something is triggering this "limp mode" but with no codes i have no idea.....and to performabuilt...why would my brand new converter with less than 500 miles be shot already?
Old 06-23-2011, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Update!!!!!!!! well today i had a little time so i dropped the pan....no shavings,no excessive glitter,no burnt smell.no nothing that pointed to trans problems....other than a dirty *** filter.installed new filter and gasket and the trans is feeling great!!!!!!!!! shifts even firmed up a little...either the filter was dirty anyway or the new clutch in the stall let off a little break in material and clogged an already dirty filter.thanks to all who gave input,hopefully i wont have to come back to this section with bad news lol......