Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

a4 to m6

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a4 to m6

does anyone have a complete parts list of what is needed to swap my a4 to a m6? Also does anyone know what would be the cost of doing this in parts only, i am not sure if i want to pay to have it done or not.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with myself doing all the work (except for the $50 i paid for a PCM reflash) i paid almost $3K on the dot. Thats a new clutch, Tick Master, new slave, and built transmission, so going all used parts seems to be around $2K.

As for what parts are needed, look in the sticky in the manual transmission FAQ. It has a complete list on one of the first few pages.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RedRallyeZ
with myself doing all the work (except for the $50 i paid for a PCM reflash) i paid almost $3K on the dot. Thats a new clutch, Tick Master, new slave, and built transmission, so going all used parts seems to be around $2K.

As for what parts are needed, look in the sticky in the manual transmission FAQ. It has a complete list on one of the first few pages.
okay thanks a lot im not sure if i want to sell my car and get a 6 speed or just swap it. im not sure what would be cheaper. mostly because the market is very high right now...
Old 06-27-2011, 12:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Looks like you have had several M6s in the past. Throw a Yank 4k in that car and have fun. Don't change over.

Expect 2k in parts on the used market.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Looks like you have had several M6s in the past. Throw a Yank 4k in that car and have fun. Don't change over.

Expect 2k in parts on the used market.
yeah i know what you mean its just that i do use it as my daily right now and i know that i would get much better fuel mileage, and also i like being able to feel the power more driving down the road. also i know itll be a couple grand in parts but after i throw a converter in along with building the transmission itll end up being at least the same amount of money. although i do know that my quarter will be much better. so i guess my mind is not made up yet and i need to do things right so i can go 10's unlike i did on my last car.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I understand your general ideas. I don't understand the "feel the power while driving" though. There is nothing better then feeling the speed from the torque multiplication during converter flare and the shift extension pull after a shift in an auto. It is low maintenance haul ***. You press your foot down and you go, no matter what gear, what rpm. The converter and trans take care of everything else. A manual needs to be in the right gear/to be in the powerband, and IMO rear gears. It needs a good clutch or it won't take a beating very nicely. It has no torque multiplication, and locked in rpms (as opposed to converter flare). Some say autos are boring to drive. Mine isn't.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I understand your general ideas. I don't understand the "feel the power while driving" though. There is nothing better then feeling the speed from the torque multiplication during converter flare and the shift extension pull after a shift in an auto. It is low maintenance haul ***. You press your foot down and you go, no matter what gear, what rpm. The converter and trans take care of everything else. A manual needs to be in the right gear/to be in the powerband, and IMO rear gears. It needs a good clutch or it won't take a beating very nicely. It has no torque multiplication, and locked in rpms (as opposed to converter flare). Some say autos are boring to drive. Mine isn't.
well ive always noticed when driving friends cars they feel slow in normal day to day driving and going down the track even though they are putting down 450, 460, 470whp... ect.. and my last car just felt like i put me back in the seat so much more and it was so much more satisfying to drive but like i said i still have to think about it.. thanks for the input
Old 06-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

I just switched over to a t56 from a broken 4l60e. At the track, my car is slower. and you know what? I DON'T CARE! I LOVE driving it to work. and I feel even better when I beat someone with the t56 especially considering that you could make a double-decker sandwich between my shifts, I'm so freakin slow. I love my m6 car and I'll never go back.

I got a freakishly amazing deal and got every single part relating to the shifting of a Camaro for the low price of 1500 bucks everything from the plastic to the performance clutch to the tick stage 2 trans & tick master, to the pro 5.0 and Lou's stick, to the clutch and all bolts bagged and tagged. I must emphasize, that price was freakishly low and was acquired from a man who was leaving for the air force very shortly. DO NOT EXPECT TO GET WHAT I GOT FOR EVEN REMOTELY NEAR THAT PRICE. expect to spend in the neighborhood of 3 grand.

my advice: If it ain't broke, don't **** with it! take it from someone who went through it. it's a complete pain in the ***.

Last edited by wornoutshoes; 06-30-2011 at 01:57 PM.

Quick Reply: a4 to m6