General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

SLP lid question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SLP lid question?

So I am wondering how well a SLP lid actually works and does it make any difference in power ? I would like to know before I drop the money on one plus the smooth bellow ... Let me know your input please
Old 06-28-2011, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Almost all lids do the same. Some say the SLP lids rub on the hood a bit. If you don't plan on going FI, grab a cheap one. Does it increase HP? Yeah, a small amount. The bellow isn't necessary.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Teching In

When i got my car it had a K&N Drop in filter and everything else was bone stock.. i recently put on an slp lid.. and honestly.. didn't notice a diff in power but maybe its because i had the K&N. One thing i noticed was that the intake has a nice growl, something you prob wont notice if you have exhaust. I would say its worth it as every bit of hp counts but you're prob not gonna notice it with your butt dyno.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Every little bit helps. Plus they look a lot nicer under the hood than that disgusting stock intake
Old 06-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for.the advice . I do have a k&n filter but yall def answered my question . I prob will end up getting one. Basically for the looks if anything Haha
Old 06-28-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup,
a whisper lid flows a lil better, reduced weight form that stock setup, and looks cleaner.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Launching!

i agree with above. looks cleaner. anything else is a +
Old 06-28-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
yup,
a whisper lid flows a lil better, reduced weight form that stock setup, and looks cleaner.
thats what i have. do they still make them? mine is over 10 yrs old.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
yup,
...3 ounces?
Old 06-28-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by IIILuisIII
When i got my car it had a K&N Drop in filter and everything else was bone stock.. i recently put on an slp lid.. and honestly.. didn't notice a diff in power but maybe its because i had the K&N. One thing i noticed was that the intake has a nice growl, something you prob wont notice if you have exhaust. I would say its worth it as every bit of hp counts but you're prob not gonna notice it with your butt dyno.
The reason for the increased noise is that any aftermarket lid eliminates the stock baffles under the hood.

And ALL lids flow the same and do the same thing, just pick a brand that you like the looks and price of and you will be golden.

And a lid is a starter mod that will help support bigger mods down the road and will help some now. You have to crawl before you can walk, just like you can't expect to throw huge mods at a car and get maximum gain. Be sure to do basic bolt-on's in order to get the maximum performance out of a car. And just because you can't feel it doesn't mean the cars not faster, its nearly impossible to "feel" a 10 HP difference in a car, but that doesn't mean its not there
Old 06-28-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
The reason for the increased noise is that any aftermarket lid eliminates the stock baffles under the hood.

And ALL lids flow the same and do the same thing, just pick a brand that you like the looks and price of and you will be golden.

And a lid is a starter mod that will help support bigger mods down the road and will help some now. You have to crawl before you can walk, just like you can't expect to throw huge mods at a car and get maximum gain. Be sure to do basic bolt-on's in order to get the maximum performance out of a car. And just because you can't feel it doesn't mean the cars not faster, its nearly impossible to "feel" a 10 HP difference in a car, but that doesn't mean its not there
Exactly, nothing wrong with throwing a cheap lid on it, and as previously stated, they all will net you just about the same gains. They all do the same exact thing, they just look different. It's really one of the easiest and cheapest power gaining mods you can do and a lid is always one of the first actual mods that people recommend you invest in. Plus, they sound sweet too
Old 06-28-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
thats what i have. do they still make them? mine is over 10 yrs old.
I doubt it, they had some nice carbon fiber ones tho
Old 06-28-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by V68Sweep
...3 ounces?
cmon, it weighs a lil more than that
Old 06-28-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have my old lid before I went to a FTP 104mm you can have for $50 shipped. It's a no name but like new. Let me know and I can send pics Thursday but outta town tomorrow. mooth bellows looks good but does nothing for power...
Old 06-29-2011, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

Well I have a MTI lid with a k&n filter .. but I just like the looks of the SLP cause of the other SLP parts I have.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lance-Hughes
Well I have a MTI lid with a k&n filter .. but I just like the looks of the SLP cause of the other SLP parts I have.
I have an SLP lid at my house id be willing to sell. It is in great condition... i kept it from my old car but my new car I bought already had a brand new SLP lid. Lemme know.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:53 PM
11 Second Club

I dropped .3 in the 1/4 mile with my slp lid..... i think its worth the hundred bucks went 14.1 to 13.8 with a 2000 DA both runs were within 15 min of each other
Old 06-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by edub80
I dropped .3 in the 1/4 mile with my slp lid..... i think its worth the hundred bucks went 14.1 to 13.8 with a 2000 DA both runs were within 15 min of each other

I didn't think it would make that much a difference that's actually impressive for just a lid...
Old 06-29-2011, 04:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lance-Hughes
I didn't think it would make that much a difference that's actually impressive for just a lid...
Yea i was surprised too.... its well worth the 100
Old 09-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Teching In

I know this thread is months old but i have a question relating to the thread and don't feel the need to start a whole new thread.

I installed my SLP Lid and smooth bellow a couple months ago and i have noticed when i get up to 40-50 mph, i hear kind of a high pitch moan when i have the throttle open. As soon as i take my foot off the gas, the noise goes away and the noise will come right back if i give it gas. Is this the noise that would normally be covered up by the baffles or resonator or do i have another problem? I don't remember hearing the noise with the stock setup.

BTW, i agree about not really feeling the horsepower but the lid looks a million times better than the stock lid.

Thanks for any help or suggestions

Quick Reply: SLP lid question?