Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

ls3 into an fbody (i know theres a sticky but dont shoot me)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 02:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default ls3 into an fbody (i know theres a sticky but dont shoot me)

im thinking about putting an ls3 crate into my fbody.....now i read the sticky and seems like theres a lot of stuff in there that i dont need....

i have a few questions also....

-can i reuse my ls1 map and mount it right on the ls3 intake without an extension harness?
-if i run the ling converter box do i still need to swap out the front cover?
-for the time being, can i put my cable actuated ls1 tb on the ls3 intake?

is this every single thing that i would need to do the swap

-lingenfelter converter box
-reuse my ls1 balancer and accesories/waterpump
-my fbody oil pan, pickup, and whatever else is in there
-ls1 manifolds

thanks in advance
Old 06-30-2011, 09:58 AM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

Old 06-30-2011, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would like to know also...
Old 06-30-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can answer some of your questions... I'm not sure about the map sensorbeing the same, the front cover will still need to be swapped because the ls3 uses a cam sensor mounted on the front of the engine therefore the cover is different. You will absolutely need the follwing harnesses.
CAM EXNTENSION
MAP EXTENSION
KNOCK SENSOR EXTENTION
the knock sensors on the ls3 are located on the side of the block so the stock ones dont reach the map sensor harness on an ls1 is meant for the rear of the intake so it is also too short. The cam extension as mentioned earlier is required because the sensor is located on the front of the engine instead of the back. The lingenfelter box you listed is also required. The ls1 accessories will also work. You tb will not work either because the ls3 mount is a 4 bolt unit hile the ls1 is a 3 bolt.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by redbird555
I can answer some of your questions... I'm not sure about the map sensorbeing the same, the front cover will still need to be swapped because the ls3 uses a cam sensor mounted on the front of the engine therefore the cover is different. You will absolutely need the follwing harnesses.
CAM EXNTENSION
MAP EXTENSION
KNOCK SENSOR EXTENTION
the knock sensors on the ls3 are located on the side of the block so the stock ones dont reach the map sensor harness on an ls1 is meant for the rear of the intake so it is also too short. The cam extension as mentioned earlier is required because the sensor is located on the front of the engine instead of the back. The lingenfelter box you listed is also required. The ls1 accessories will also work. You tb will not work either because the ls3 mount is a 4 bolt unit hile the ls1 is a 3 bolt.

thanks for the response...i no the extensions are all needed, but i dont beleive the cover needs to be swapped if your using the lingenfelter box....that translates the new cam sensor and the 58 toooth reluctor the the pcm.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the LS3 already has the correct Gen IV timing cover and cam sensor, you can leave it be and plug in the Lingenfelter conversion box.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Whistler
If the LS3 already has the correct Gen IV timing cover and cam sensor, you can leave it be and plug in the Lingenfelter conversion box.
yea thats what i thought the conversion box was for........if you swwap out the cover for an ls2, and change the reluctor wheel the box is no longer needed.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Floorman279
thanks for the response...i no the extensions are all needed, but i dont beleive the cover needs to be swapped if your using the lingenfelter box....that translates the new cam sensor and the 58 toooth reluctor the the pcm.
I think I misunderstood what you were saying I thought you were wanting to use your old ls1 cover instead of the one that came with the ls3. Idk why I thought that but yes just use the one that comes on the motor and you'll be fine
Old 06-30-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was able to use the stock map wiring by unlooming it a little bit. The wire actually goes by the front of the motor then to the back, so by making it exit earlier in the loom it is upfront where it needs to be.

I used my stock map but I have an l76 manifold. Same as the ls3 but it doesn't have a beauty cover and it uses the clip in style map (same as ls1). The ls3 uses a bolt in map. I've heard of people doubling the map o ring and making it fit an ls3 manifold. I can't commment as I didn't go that route.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

anyone know the ls3 map part number
Old 07-01-2011, 04:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default MAP sensor and camshaft extension

On the MAP sensor, your LS1/LS6/LS2 type MAP sensor will not fit the LS3 intake manifold. You can remote mount the stock LS1 MAP sensor by taking the rubber seal off the MAP sensor and putting a vacuum hose on the sensor and then attaching the vacuum hose to a port on the intake. The other option is to just switch to an LS3 MAP sensor. Remember you need to also change the calibration in the PCM if you change sensors (LS3 and LS1/LS6 MAP sensor do not have the same calibration curve).

On the camshaft sensor extension harness, if you are using the LPE trigger conversion box then you don't need the camshaft sensor extension harness because our box has added length in those harnesses already.

You can't switch to your LS1 front timing cover because the LS1 timing cover has no front camshaft reluctor sensor position and you can't put the sensor at the back on the LS3 block. Even if you change the reluctor on the crankshaft, you need to keep the LS3 timing cover and change to a half-moon style single tooth front camshaft reluctor (DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU ARE USING OUR TRIGGER CONVERSION BOX).

A combined knock sensor/camshaft sensor harness exists. If you don't need the camshaft extension harness, knock sensor only extension harnesses exist too. You will want to mount the LS1 style knock sensors on the side of your LS3 block (as someone else already mentioned). You don't want to try and use the LS3 knock sensors with the LS1 PCM.

Hope this helps,

Jason
Old 07-01-2011, 04:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default LS3 MAP sensor part number

The LS3 MAP sensor is:

GM part # 12591290

AC Delco part # 213-3842

Originally Posted by Floorman279
anyone know the ls3 map part number
Old 07-01-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Jason Haines @ LPE

You can't switch to your LS1 front timing cover because the LS1 timing cover has no front camshaft reluctor sensor position and you can't put the sensor at the back on the LS3 block. Even if you change the reluctor on the crankshaft, you need to keep the LS3 timing cover and change to a half-moon style single tooth front camshaft reluctor (DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU ARE USING OUR TRIGGER CONVERSION BOX).

A combined knock sensor/camshaft sensor harness exists. If you don't need the camshaft extension harness, knock sensor only extension harnesses exist too. You will want to mount the LS1 style knock sensors on the side of your LS3 block (as someone else already mentioned). You don't want to try and use the LS3 knock sensors with the LS1 PCM.

Hope this helps,

Jason
so just to sum it up,when using that box, i will not need to do any swapping of the cover if i use that box correct? also, for the knock sensors, not sure if anyone will know this but does the ls3 crate include knock sensors? are the ls1 sensors a direct replacement? thanks for the part numbers
Old 11-08-2013, 06:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where's the sticky?
Old 11-08-2013, 07:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Reno's2fastestfbodys
Where's the sticky?
..... right on the top of the gen IV page where it says l/92/l76/ls3 into 99-02 fbody

Quick Reply: ls3 into an fbody (i know theres a sticky but dont shoot me)