Notices
Vehicle Classifieds This an archive of the older vehicle classifieds, please create a new listing in our Marketplace.
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (State):

Color:

Transmission:

Drivetrain:

LS Engine?:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Part Fits:

Location (State):

Item Condition:

Engine:

LS Engine?:

1998 LS6 firebird project

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 LS6 firebird project

Year: 1998
Make: Pontiac
Model: Firebird
Price: $4000
Mileage: 165000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (State): MA
Color: Black
Transmission: Manual
Drivetrain: Rear Wheel Drive
LS Engine?: Car has LS engine

These pics are from last summer, I drove the car for part of that time but its mostly been under a cover. The car is nowhere near as clean as it is in the pics and the lighting is favorable.

Summary: 1998 firebird (165K) with low mileage (2006) built drive train, bad paint, worse interior and some minor electrical/cosmetic issues. Mechanically sound driver that would make a perfect track toy or, with some cosmetic care could be restored to its full potential.

Putting my black 98 formula up for sale. The car runs and drives but needs work to be perfect.

car has quite a few issues:

Biggest concern is that a mouse took residence over the winter, as far as i can tell i managed to scare it off. Working on the car right now to clean out what I can.

intermittent electrical issue, power is lost to the doors and dash, does not throw a code or impact driving and usually resolves shortly after it starts. This was an issue when I bought the car.

one of the headlight motors is not working, but can still be raised manually.

the car has a leak in the windshield, carpet should be replaced, interior is stripped (though i do have most of whats been removed).

Brakes are fine for now but will need to be replaced in the next 5-10K

The engine runs fine but could use a few things to achieve its optimal performance. I spoke with the engine builder and he said that new plugs/wires would be in order to bring back full power, as well as a maintenance retune.

The paint is in rough shape, front clip has some chipping and flaking, as well as scratches.

Rear axle is utterly insufficient for anyone looking to run sticky tires and cut sub 2.0 60’ times, the car has been to the dragstrip once but never launched for this reason. The one time it did go i believe my best 60' was 2.4 or so, notably on 215 blizzak snow tires.

The horn doesnt work

It is LOOOOOUD. If you are looking at 400+hp HCI cars you are probably already aware of this but most inspection stations (in MA, atleast) wont even look at the thing as soon as they hear it idling.

THE GOOD:
If I had the resources I would part the car out, because the drivetrain is relatively fresh (installed in 2006) and has never given me an issue (not that ive stopped biting my nails since the day I bought it). The engine is fully documented and was assembled and installed by a professional LSx tuner in MA. The block has a forged bottom end, with a CR decrease this would be an ideal mill for a mean power adder setup.

428rwhp
20K on HCI LS6 crate engine
18K on rebuilt trans
1K abuse free miles on Nitto NT555s on Z06 rims
car runs and drives fine

So yeah, significant cosmetic issues and some minor electrical/maintenance are the extent of what the cars next owner will face. On the other hand the drivetrain is fantastic, the crate engine was a $10,000 purchase on its own when new, the transmission was completely rebuilt and the combo has lots of room for further modification.

I'm sure I have missed something (other than pictures), ill keep updating the thread. I need this thing gone ASAP, asking $4000 OBO.

If you are really interested in the car I can be reached at 978-495-0916, please leave a message if i dont pick up as cell reception around my house is poor.

Regards,

Sam Murray

Last edited by smurray; 07-08-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

Any pics?
Old 07-05-2011, 05:05 AM
Staging Lane

Ill post pictures soon, bump.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

bump..
Old 07-07-2011, 06:55 AM
Staging Lane

buuump
Old 07-07-2011, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

pics?
Old 07-07-2011, 06:55 PM
TECH Regular

Where be the pics??
Old 07-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Teching In

VERY VERY interested. I have a couple of questions

What was done to make the motor fit in the Trans Am? did you need to put a trans am Oil pan on? is it using the F-Body t56?

thanks