Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

CA emissions, new cars vs old cars

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA emissions, new cars vs old cars

have some questions regarding CA emissions...

new cars, like my 98 wrangler... what is required of it to pass? smog?
check engine lights? (it has one, i messed up the speedo gear)
visual inspection? it's about time to get the registration renewed, and as of now it's registered in AZ.

also, what's the rule with older cars? i'm thinking of picking up an old little car to rip around in on the weekends, i'm thinking a Datsun 510. So what is required for a 1970's car to be driven legally? Original motor? smog? i hope neither of those lol.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:47 PM
10 Second Club

CA smog is the strictest out of all the other states that require smog. They will do EVAP test, Visual, and OBD 2 check. That means your Fucked if you got a check engine light on. Don't even bother to go smog it if it does, cause it will fail automatically. Get the light fixed first.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

yeah that's what i figured. or just sell the POS and get something else, which has also crossed my mind lol.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1974 and before has no smog inspection. Anything after does have to do a sniffer and visual. That includes the bitchin 76 trans am that had all that crap removed thirty years ago before you bought it and brought it into CA.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 'WHEELS'
yeah that's what i figured. or just sell the POS and get something else, which has also crossed my mind lol.
In CA it is illegal to sell a car that will not pass smog and it is the sellers responsibility to get it smogged so you got to find a sucker or just sell it real cheap.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:09 AM
10 Second Club

You have to smog the car prior to selling it in the wonderful state of CA. There is not escaping taking it up the *** from CA. Why do you think the homos love this state?
Old 07-06-2011, 02:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TurbopigB4C
1974 and before has no smog inspection. Anything after does have to do a sniffer and visual. That includes the bitchin 76 trans am that had all that crap removed thirty years ago before you bought it and brought it into CA.
I think its 1975 smog exempt.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
You have to smog the car prior to selling it in the wonderful state of CA. There is not escaping taking it up the *** from CA. Why do you think the homos love this state?
You can sell it as is if you tell the buyer. Still the vehicle must have been smogged within 90 days to recieving new tags.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Not only do you have to clear the check engine light, or ses light, your need to drive the vehicle x amount of cycles before the code or codes are cleared from the memory. Disconnecting the battery does not accomplish this feat.

SteveC
Old 07-06-2011, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

well god damnit. looks like i'll be fixing the speedo gear in an apartment parking garage. sweet. i guess it needs to be done anyways.

i wonder if i could just keep it registered at my AZ address for now? how much trouble comes with that trick? the tags expire next month, and as of lately i have no time or resources to work on it.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

I will fix it for you since your loaded and i need work lol.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:21 PM
11 Second Club

well god damnit. looks like i'll be fixing the speedo gear in an apartment parking garage. sweet. i guess it needs to be done anyways.

i wonder if i could just keep it registered at my AZ address for now? how much trouble comes with that trick? the tags expire next month, and as of lately i have no time or resources to work on it.
This is Arizona's way of getting back at you for moving to California
Old 07-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOLcommunistcali
Old 07-07-2011, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

hey AZ haters, pound sand!!! (see what i did there?)

Ivan i may just take you up on that...
Old 07-07-2011, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by C5natie
You can sell it as is if you tell the buyer. Still the vehicle must have been smogged within 90 days to recieving new tags.
Na man. Even if you sell it as is, the seller still has to smog it before it is sold. The "as is" is in case the car has mechanical problems or any other problems that may arise after a vehicle is sold.

Straight from the CA DMV site:

"When selling a California registered vehicle, the registered owner of record must:

Provide the purchaser with evidence of a valid smog certification, if applicable.
Smog certificates are good for 90 days from the date of inspection. The smog certification is not required if the owner or buyer signs a statement that smog certification was submitted with renewal fees within 90 days prior to the transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification)."

http://dmv.ca.gov/vr/vr_info.htm
Old 07-07-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 93Z28rare
Na man. Even if you sell it as is, the seller still has to smog it before it is sold. The "as is" is in case the car has mechanical problems or any other problems that may arise after a vehicle is sold.

Straight from the CA DMV site:

"When selling a California registered vehicle, the registered owner of record must:

Provide the purchaser with evidence of a valid smog certification, if applicable.
Smog certificates are good for 90 days from the date of inspection. The smog certification is not required if the owner or buyer signs a statement that smog certification was submitted with renewal fees within 90 days prior to the transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification)."

http://dmv.ca.gov/vr/vr_info.htm
The op said his car is registered in Arizona not Cali, what you quoted specifically states "California registered vehicles", would there be any difference for a car not registered in Cali but sold there.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You have to find a sucker who doesn't know or just sell it real cheap so they don't care. You could always sell it in Arizona and then not have to worry about it.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

nah that's too much hassle. I like the Jeep, I'd like to keep it for the weekends at the beach. I guess I'll just get it fixed and CA smogged. I thought it about keeping it AZ registered but that just sounds like trouble and that's the last thing i need.

as for the pre '75 cars, there's no smog but what about visual? does everything have to be original, or "present"? I'm looking at 70's datsun's and beetles, i'm pretty sure none of them have half the original parts on them lol.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

If it's smog exempt you can do whatever you want to it, no visual no 'inspections', that's an east coast ****-state thing
Old 07-08-2011, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by proporio
The op said his car is registered in Arizona not Cali, what you quoted specifically states "California registered vehicles", would there be any difference for a car not registered in Cali but sold there.
Oops, forgot about that. Guessing the rule wouldn't apply in this case then. But then I would think the buyer from AZ would have to smog it once he gets it to CA, and before it can be registered here.