Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 knocking loud!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls1 knocking loud!!!

I have a ls1 with ls6 heads on it. The other day i was out in it and did a burnout which bounced the rev limiter a bit. right after the motor started knocking. My girl said it was smoking a little bit. It barely stays running but no engine lights on. Do you think i bent a valve or collapsed a lifter or is it possible that its a rod? My pushrods dont seem to be bend. Please help!!!
Old 07-07-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Pull the serpentine belt and get a socket on the crank and try to turn it over . . . It doesn't turn all te way you found your problem. Or drain the oil and check for metal chunks.

Good luck with it!
Old 07-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Didn't they tell you your not supposed to do burnouts @ Max RPM...
Old 07-07-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man it could be all sorts of things. Spun bearings, bent push rods, broken valve springs, broken piston, lifters..... Man the list just goes on and on. If it's bearly running and is making a loud knocking sound its probably time to start pulling covers until you find something. Start by draining your oil. See if there is anything of interest in there such as large metal shavings, or a large amount of shavings. Maybe even peices of something. If that draws up nothing pull your valve covers. See if you have some bent up pushrods, broken valves. Just start with the basics and go from there. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

its revlimiter not revrider, it not a turbo civic where u can riiiiiide the limiter. sorry for your loss

sorry for my dick comment too, good luck
Old 07-07-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by King Nothing
Pull the serpentine belt and get a socket on the crank and try to turn it over . . . It doesn't turn all te way you found your problem. Or drain the oil and check for metal chunks.

Good luck with it!
Yes this also. See if it will turn by hand or using a wrench and socket. Like I said man, start with the basics.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Teching In

oil pressure? It has a misfire.. Valve hit a piston after valve float...
Old 07-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
Man it could be all sorts of things. Spun bearings, bent push rods, broken valve springs, broken piston, lifters..... Man the list just goes on and on.
Agreed, there are way too many things that could have happened so it is impossible to say its one particular thing. Like everyone else already said, start with draining the oil and check the basics and keep taking it apart until you find the problem.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys. I noticed if i shake my lifters they make noise so wondern if i wrecked them. But so far no bent push rods, and valves look good. If i did wreck the lower end i am gonna get a 383 stroker kit. But hopefully i didnt hurt it bad. Thanks again guys for ur help.

Quick Reply: ls1 knocking loud!!!