General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window rattle

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 01:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Window rattle

I looked through all of the old discussions, without any luck. Here's my problem...There's a roller that tracks in the vertical channel, at the rear of the door. On my driver's door, this roller has gotten really loose, apparently due to wear. I'm unsure how to get at this, in order to replace it.

I looked on the "Shoebox" tech page, and although there's a slick video showing how the window assembly operates, it appears that this roller is "hidden" by other parts of the window assembly. Has anybody ever been able to replace this roller? Any advice?

TIA!
Old 07-09-2011, 06:06 AM
TECH Veteran

...bump
Old 07-09-2011, 07:03 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 328 Likes on 300 Posts

You unbolt and remove the stop at the top of the vertical track and then unbolt the track. With the window half way down you can remove the track and expose the roller.

The common issue is the post holdng the roller breaking entirely. Very low possibility that your problem is a worn roller...
Old 07-09-2011, 01:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by wssix99
You unbolt and remove the stop at the top of the vertical track and then unbolt the track. With the window half way down you can remove the track and expose the roller.

The common issue is the post holdng the roller breaking entirely. Very low possibility that your problem is a worn roller...
Thanks for the info!

Actually, I had the door apart earlier this year, looking for the source of the noise. The "stud", or post is still in one piece, but the roller wobbles all over the place. After I got that far, it took a while to track down a pair of the rollers. Now, I have to track down some time to get the door apart again.....
Old 07-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Save the manuals!

Where did you find the rollers? Dorman used to sell them but has discontinued the part.

Once you have the before/after, please post a pic. As the cars age, worn rollers will become more common.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by wssix99
Where did you find the rollers? Dorman used to sell them but has discontinued the part.

Once you have the before/after, please post a pic. As the cars age, worn rollers will become more common.

I took the interior panel off last fall, to check out the issue, and that's when I found the problem. It took a while to track down what I thought would be the correct part, as you mentioned, a lot of these parts are being discontinued. Also, I had put the interior panel back on, so I could drive the car, so I was looking at pictures of parts, trying to guess which one was what I wanted.

By the time I finally had gotten a pair of the rollers, winter had set in which means two things for me...1) it's gets pretty cold in the garage, colder than I want to be, while working on the car; 2) I have two cars "shoehorned" into a car-and-a-half wide garage, so getting a door wide open to remove the interior panel again, isn't going to happen.

I was going to tackle it yesterday, but it was around 90* out, and I said "the hell with it", and stayed inside, in the AC. It's amazing how you change over the years...when I was in my 20s and 30s, I didn't care about the temps, icy cold or hellishly hot, I worked on the car. Now that I'm pushing 60, I just don't quite have as much drive as I used to have. I'll work like a dog, once I get started, but sometimes I just don't feel the urgency.

Nonetheless, the rollers I was able to get my hands on, were Dorman p/n 74407. Hopefully, the shank portion of these things is the correct length.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Save the manuals!

Please let us know how it matches up when you get to it. I saw that part when I was doing my search but balked because the F-Body isn't in Dorman's cross reference. It sure looks like the right thing...