Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Interesting rental....

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Interesting rental....

The wife and I decided to head to the keys for the rest of the week, and we rented a convertible. The lady gave me the keys to an Eclipse but gave me the spaces where I could do an upgrade for a couple bucks a day... Uh, that was a hard decision.... The first was a 6 cylinder. Then I saw those 2 letters...SS. Uh, yes please! So far...still not in love with the looks a pillar back, dash is blah, and sticker price is ouch...but the car rides great and stock power is great....

Off to Ft Lauderdale and then the Keys....

Old 07-12-2011, 11:25 PM
FormerVendor

Saw it in person today! Thanks for swinging by our place
Old 07-12-2011, 11:51 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You shoulda dyno'd it with a temporary dry kit just for fun
Old 07-13-2011, 05:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

where did you rent it from?
Old 07-13-2011, 07:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Lol @ Whistler. Everyone has said the same thing! I don't have time or I would at least run it. So far I can assure you only that the heads up display reads 3 digits :-). I got it from either Budget or Avis - they are the same. About $500 for the week including taxes.

Erik - thanks for the hospitality and the tour! Awesome shop!! Good luck and I am sure I will see you again!
Old 07-13-2011, 08:11 AM
TECH Regular

have fun man! safe travels!
Old 07-13-2011, 09:32 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by kwiksilverz28
Lol @ Whistler. Everyone has said the same thing! I don't have time or I would at least run it. So far I can assure you only that the heads up display reads 3 digits :-). I got it from either Budget or Avis - they are the same. About $500 for the week including taxes.

Erik - thanks for the hospitality and the tour! Awesome shop!! Good luck and I am sure I will see you again!

Anytime!

Erik
Old 07-13-2011, 01:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not a vert fan, but if you're heading to the keys for a week, you made the right choice
Old 07-13-2011, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice im wanting to rent one for my wedding had one booked with hertz but would like to get a vert plus i can only get the hertz one the day off. Called Avis and they said to just call a week before hand and they will make sure they have one so we shall see. thanks for the info have fun
Old 07-13-2011, 07:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! Thats the way to go!!

I've yet to drive the 5th gen when I was going to rent one last year with hertz I made the Res but something happened and it wasn't ready yet. So they had these 5 c6 verts and I said how about you give me the vette for the price of the Camaro and she said sure. So for 2 weeks I had the vette, best part is, it was for work so I paid NOTHING. At the time I was working the BP project and I put like 1400 miles on it. On I-10 I hit 140 and didn't hit the limiter. I will say at the time I had a new 5.0 keeping up stride for stride. Kind of pissed me off.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't want to say that I dislike this car, BUT. It pulls good up top but with this many hp and the traction turned off, it should annihilate the rear tires. It did not even bark them with the convertor loaded a little. Second, paddle shifters are stupid. Give me a clutch pedal and a shifter. What is this 6sp auto for? MPG? My 98 with cam, blower, and quite a bit more weight that stock gets 26 highway. I would be happy with 18 with the top down in the keys (55mph or lower...).

On the other hand, for a touring sedan, this car is ok. Smooth ride, creature comforts, and it does scoot. Am I happy with the rental? Heck yea! Would I buy one? No way.

I warned the wife before I turn it in, I will be abusing it a little more :-)
Old 07-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Teching In

A side trip to OSW???
Old 07-15-2011, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wish I could Ron. We are leaving Key West Sunday am and have to return the car by 11p. Not enough time or trust me, I would!
Old 07-15-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It only like a 4400 lbs Vert so it needs like 600hp to do anything good !!!My 08 Vette w/ the paddle shifters smokes the tires shifting threw the gears like a stick car !!!!Like u said it a cool cruiser but thats about it !!!!!!!
Old 07-15-2011, 01:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanSws6
Nice! Thats the way to go!!

I've yet to drive the 5th gen when I was going to rent one last year with hertz I made the Res but something happened and it wasn't ready yet. So they had these 5 c6 verts and I said how about you give me the vette for the price of the Camaro and she said sure. So for 2 weeks I had the vette, best part is, it was for work so I paid NOTHING. At the time I was working the BP project and I put like 1400 miles on it. On I-10 I hit 140 and didn't hit the limiter. I will say at the time I had a new 5.0 keeping up stride for stride. Kind of pissed me off.
C6 has no speed limiter....not even the rentals

Sounds like a great 2 weeks...

Originally Posted by kwiksilverz28
I don't want to say that I dislike this car, BUT. It pulls good up top but with this many hp and the traction turned off, it should annihilate the rear tires. It did not even bark them with the convertor loaded a little. Second, paddle shifters are stupid. Give me a clutch pedal and a shifter. What is this 6sp auto for? MPG? My 98 with cam, blower, and quite a bit more weight that stock gets 26 highway. I would be happy with 18 with the top down in the keys (55mph or lower...).

On the other hand, for a touring sedan, this car is ok. Smooth ride, creature comforts, and it does scoot. Am I happy with the rental? Heck yea! Would I buy one? No way.

I warned the wife before I turn it in, I will be abusing it a little more :-)
Swing it by here, gimme 3 minutes and I'll get it to smoke the hides from a dig no problem

these cars have a lot of TM and torque limits on the autos to keep them in one piece.

Quick Reply: Interesting rental....