Sponsored by:

Car Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car Won't start

Guys,

Have a question about getting my car started. To start off I'm using an EFI connections LS1 conversion kit for my Camaro (1985 SBC).

Basically the car cranks, injector pulse etc. Car starts for a split second and then dies. I'm using a 2002 PCM with HP tuners 2-bar MAP calibration.

My question is with this calibration do I still need to have a MAF sensor in the car?
I don't because of the conversion, but if needed I can put one in.

Just trying to make this thing run. I've gone thru the wiring harness pin by pin, and also have an injector tool (light) to verify injector pulse.

Any ideas, suggestions.

Thanks

Mike
Old 07-12-2011, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why the 2-bar calibration, you running a blower?

You'll want the MAF in place and functioning, at least until you get it stable enough to VE tune in speed density mode.

I'd go to a stock config, MAF working, and start from there...assuming you're running a basically stock engine.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Default Car won't start

Yes, have a blower & with my old setup I was running MAP. (730 ECM). I figure like you said start from the beginning ie. stock, MAF installed stock bin/config.

What about VATS? I don't use it for the starter solenoid. I have it disable in the PCM as far as I know.

How does VATS function? Will the car start then die, not start at all?
Old 07-12-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VATS will shut down your fuel pump if not disabled. Hook up your fuel pressure gauge and watch it while cranking, should make 58psi.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Teching In

OK, I'll give it a try & post back. I think I have fuel pressure. Hard to look at the gauge & crank at the same time. (by myself)
Old 07-29-2011, 03:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Any updates?
Old 07-29-2011, 07:33 AM
Teching In

Sorry guys got busy with some things. I re-pinned my MAP snesor & re-flashed the PCM making sure theat the VATS was disabled. I now have injector pulse. Car still won't start. I tested the injectors & found out that one has now stuck open & I filled a #4 cylinder with fuel. Order a new injector, just waiting for it to arrive. Also testing the coils to make sure things are good ther. Need to now change the oil (has fuel in it), and going to put a fresh set of plugs in to be sure. Once I get things ready again will post. Hopefully the injector comes soon.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Try soaking that injector in some sea foam.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:31 AM
Teching In

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I was going to tap it a bit to see if it will un-lock. Will have some time this week to do a few things. Will post with results.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by crainholio
VATS will shut down your fuel pump if not disabled. Hook up your fuel pressure gauge and watch it while cranking, should make 58psi.
Doesn't VATS disable the injectors not the fuel pump? Either way, if you want to verify that it is a fuel issue rather than a spark issue you can have a buddy crank it while you spray some starter fluid (or anything else combustible) in the throttle body. If you can keep it running with the starter fluid then you know it's not getting fuel.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:45 AM
Teching In

Just waiting to get my new injector to do some testing. I'm pretty sure that VATs disables the injector pulse. The way I have my conversion done I'm not tied into the fuel pump or starter relay with VATs.