Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for input gear/convertor

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for input gear/convertor

I have a 01' WS6 A4 that has a 3.23 gear currently and stock torque convertor.
I am making plans to change my gear to a 3.73 (moser) and no plans currently to change TC since I do not want to void a tranny warranty.
I would like to know if my thinking is in line with getting a better 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile? And, how important is the TC upgrade? And, recommended gear?

Also, maybe this should be at the gear post???? I wanted to cover both gear and TC.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ActionJack
I have a 01' WS6 A4 that has a 3.23 gear currently and stock torque convertor.
I am making plans to change my gear to a 3.73 (moser) and no plans currently to change TC since I do not want to void a tranny warranty.
I would like to know if my thinking is in line with getting a better 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile? And, how important is the TC upgrade? And, recommended gear?

Also, maybe this should be at the gear post???? I wanted to cover both gear and TC.
I think if your gonna do gears then 3.73's are your best bet. You'll gain a few tenths I think and feel a little better down low. But a 3500 stall torque converter will net you five tenths and the SotP feel will be far greater then upgrading gears. Normally I would suggest to keep 3.23's and just get a TC. But you have a warranty issue so that is perfectly understandable. If you got a ways to go on your warranty then I would say you got the right idea. Get some 3.73's and hold off on a TC until your warranty expires. Just make sure you eventually get a torque converter so you can beat up a few M6's

BTW the 3.73's will go nicely with a 3500 stall down the road. I plan on keeping my 3.23's for awhile but might change them out next year if the TCI 3500 feels too "loose" for me. Should know soon enough. I can't wait!

Good Luck
Old 03-01-2004, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a 2001 Z28, and I coupled my 3.73's with a Y3000 2.0 STR converter, and the vehicle responds FAR different than when I just had the gears alone.

I notice in you sig, that you have a 2001 model vehicle also, so just a heads up, you WILL need to have your shift points & TM manipulated in order to have the vehicle run properly.

SteveC
Old 03-01-2004, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very impoertant for us A4 guys , best mod hands down.

The TCI SSF 3500 is a great converter for the money, do a search you will see some impressive results.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SteveC
I have a 2001 Z28, and I coupled my 3.73's with a Y3000 2.0 STR converter, and the vehicle responds FAR different than when I just had the gears alone.

I notice in you sig, that you have a 2001 model vehicle also, so just a heads up, you WILL need to have your shift points & TM manipulated in order to have the vehicle run properly.

SteveC
I have the Hypertech III Programmer to adjust for the gear mod. Ithink this will be enough. Is there something I am forgetting?
Old 03-02-2004, 07:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ActionJack
I have the Hypertech III Programmer to adjust for the gear mod. Ithink this will be enough. Is there something I am forgetting?
The HPPIII will not address the TM, you can adjust the shift points with it though. Having the speedo recalibrated only solves part of the problem.

After my TC change, I experienced "idle hunt", "stalling", and "locking & onlocking" between 3rd & 4th gear when coasting. THESE ARE VERY COMMON PROBLEMS WITH 2001 & 2002 MODELS.

SteveC
Old 03-04-2004, 10:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Stick with the 323's & get a Yank or similar 3500-3600 stall.....
You WON"T regret it.
Rode in a friend of mines 02 Firehawk with that set up and i was sold.
currently have the 323's and the converter in my shop. that along with a good tranny cooler and i have the perfect summer toy.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:42 AM
Teching In

What kind of $$$ am I gonna have to fork over for labor (generally) to install a TC and a trans cooler? The TC/trans cooler is second on my list of mods after I decide which exhaust/header to go with. Best bang for the buck, I'm hearing. I'm "only" shooting for about 350 to 400 rwhp, and will probably keep the stock gearing, any opinions as to which converter(s)/stall speed I should be looking at? B&M for the cooler, right?