Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Need help no voltage to Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help no voltage to Fuel Pump

Okay need help, Just put in new pump, supercharger, and Racetronic Fuel wiring kit. Put fuse back in went to start the car and nothing. Started trouble shooting. I am able to get fuel pressure and run the car when I jump the 2 heavy gauge red wires on the Racetronic Harness. Made sure the ground was good still nothing. Thought maybe Thieft System was causing problem because it showed a problem on the Nav Screen. However reset as per manual and still nothing.

Thanks,
Jimmi
Old 07-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Default Solved

Let me start off that I think the Racetronic's harness is a good product however I can not say the same for their Customer Service and Tech Support. Let me start with that they only have Tech Support via a Forum so if you want fast answers or only have access by phone only you are out of luck. Below is the conversation between myself and Racetronic's. During the week I only have access to internet either very early in the morning or late at night, which is why I wanted to talk to someone over the phone.

Me: Installed a FPWH-027 - 2003-2008 Cadillac CTS / CTS-V on 05 CTS-V.
When starting car I am getting no voltage to fuel pump, however if I pull
relay from harness and jump from red to red wire fuel pump works. Checked
stock fuse and there is voltage. I need help with this, is it possible that new relay
is bad. I did check for voltage on gray wire at relay but there was no voltage.

Installed a Maggie supercharger and need to get this finished.

Thank you,
Jimmi

Racetronic: This was all they sent:

http://www.racetronix.com/supportforum.html

Racetronix
www.racetronix.com
sales@racetronix.com
Notice: This communication is intended for the use of the recipient(s) named above. It may contain information that is privileged, confidential and subject to copyright. Any unauthorized use, copying, review or disclosure is prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately if you have received this communication in error and destroy all copies. Thank you for your assistance and co-operation.

Me: Not to sound bad, but if I had the time to go on a forum to talk about what could be wrong this
would be Great. I have 3 companies, last night I worked outside in high heat till 5am. I gave
good detail and am looking for answer. The company I am working with right now I have no internet
access for most of the day and I need to get this car done when I get back.

I have power at the fuse box, at the fuse for the fuel pump, fuel pump works when jumping from
red to red at the relay. The only thing I can think of is either a bad new relay or a wiring problem
with the new harness, which the second of the 2 will require dropping the drive shaft, rear cradle, and
fuel tank. Please help with out referring me to look on a forum.

Thanks,
Jimmi

Racetronic: Sorry, our techs can only respond on our forum. For the amount of time it took you to send the e-mail below you could have been activated on the forum. The reasons for using a forum are clearly defined in our registration link.

Racetronix
www.racetronix.com
sales@racetronix.com
Notice: This communication is intended for the use of the recipient(s) named above. It may contain information that is privileged, confidential and subject to copyright. Any unauthorized use, copying, review or disclosure is prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately if you have received this communication in error and destroy all copies. Thank you for your assistance and co-operation.

Me: If you don't have a phone number to call and this is the only way, I think that is bad business.

Racetronic: Your opinion is noted...

Me to the forum: Originally Posted by JimmiB
Installed a FPWH-027 - 2003-2008 Cadillac CTS / CTS-V on 05 CTS-V.
When starting car I am getting no voltage to fuel pump, however if I pull
relay from harness and jump from red to red wire fuel pump works. Checked
stock fuse and there is voltage. I need help with this, is it possible that new relay
is bad. I did check for voltage on gray wire at relay but there was no voltage.

Racetronic: If there is no voltage on the gray wire when the pump is suppose to prime then you have an issue with the factory wiring. Does the fuel pump run when you plug the factory harness back into the module?
If you require GM diagnostic info for your factory wiring please let us know and we will post it.

Me: I am not sure if you know how hard it is to get to the wiring on top of the tank on a CTS-V, driveshaft off, exhaust down, rear cradle lowered, fuel tank dropped almost out.

The Car had No problems prior to putting in the Racetronic Harness only added it because we put on a Maggie Supercharger and didnt want to over tax the stock pump. So we added the harness and a Aeromotive pump.

I doubt that any wires got pinched as the fuse is good. So if I take the time to remove and drop things to plug the stock harnes back in and it works as I am sure it will, what next?

Racetronic: The factory fuel pump power wire feeds the gray wire in the Racetronix harness which in turn powers the Racetronix relay which supplies +12V from the alternator to the fuel pump module.

You can test the Racetronix relay by supplying +12V to the coil on terminal 86. If the relay turns on and powers up the pump the Racetronix harness is OK. It is very unlikely that there is a problem with the relay as the harness passed testing. Check the chassis ground to make sure the connection is good and that none of the wires are pulling out. Relay ground runs from terminal 85 on the relay to the ring terminal.

GM diagnostic info has been posted here:
http://racetronix.info/showthread.php?t=238

Me: Checked the ground and it is good via volt meter. How is the gray wire wired in? What I mean is if I plug the factory harness in and the pump works and ground is good, relay is good, and all of the wires are in, how is the gray wire tied into the factory wiring? I know that both of the factory plugs plug in to the Racetronic's harness.

Racetronic: The wire that use to supply switched +12 to the factory module plugs into the RX harness and supplies +12V to the relay coil via the gray wire on terminal 86. Terminal 85 is relay coil ground. Terminal 30 is B+ and 87 is output to the module.

Did you plug the Racetronix harness into the top of the module?
Are you sure your in-tank is wired properly?

Me In bold: Did you plug the Racetronix harness into the top of the module? All connection were connected to the best of my knowledge. one connection made at alternator, one at the ground, one at relay, and 2 too harness, and 2 too tank. Am I missing one? Very hard to get to the harness and relay
Are you sure your in-tank is wired properly? As I stated if I jump red to red at relay the pressure is 50-60 psi and car will start and run. If it was hooked up wrong I would think that wouldn't be the case. right?I am out of town on business and fly back Friday, I will look at on Saturday after I remove all parts needed and lower rear cradle and gas tank. If I plug in the stock wiring and it works what would you say I do next?

Racetronic: Before you go that far you can jumper terminal 86 to 87. This will allow the factory harness to supply power directly to the pump if it is working properly.

Me: My guys removed and lowered gas tank so I plugged the stock harness back and fuel pump works fine. Which means the problem is either the harness, which no visual signs, or relay is bad. Do you have a part number for NAPA Auto parts that I can get? So I can try a new relay.

Racetronic: Never heard back at this time.

Me: A $10.00 relay, we tore the car apart for a $10.00 relay. A suggestion would be to make the wires on the relay longer because there is not enough wire to mount in a safe easy access place or I would have done the test of jumping from one to the other besides doing it on the red wires. You have been good, however the person I talked to to get the forum info was very non- business friendly. I feel sorry for anyone who orders parts from your company and doesn't have internet access. There should a be a phone number for tech support I feel one call would have resolved this in less than 10 minutes. Also since I was able to jump the 2 red wires and the pumped worked Racetronics should have offered to send a new relay or atleast give me a part number to go to a auto store to buy one. Just my input as a Business owner.

Racetronic: If you would have followed our instructions in step #8 above all the above work would not be required. We can RGA and replace the suspect relay. Relays failures are VERY VERY RARE especially since the one you have is new and was bench tested on the harness.

Me: I dont get it, Not a sorry just point a finger when it was your product that was bad. Yes, relay's are usually not bad when new, but a car that has only 25,000 miles on it usually do not have an issue with its wiring. Especially when I had power at the fuse and I could jump the 2 red wires, that are easy to see to make the fuel pump work. I explained the the wiring harness is not long enough to be able to see what you need to to hit the 2 terminals you wanted me to jump. If the wires were even a foot longer the relay could be in a safe area that was easy to work on but I have already been told that this harness was made for a different car and is listed for the CTS_V because it will basically work. Sorry, if it was one of my customers I would have sent out a relay or at least give him/her the part number for one he could go get at a local auto store.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Default Solved

Also I wanted to send what Racetronic sent not knowing I already got on the forum:

Me: Another suggestion:

If you guys are going to make us use a forum to find out our possible
problems you might want to include all vehicles you sell parts for like
the CTS-V.

Racetronic: The CTS-V is the same as the F99 harness!
We post data based on request / priority.
Stop wasting time sending us messages here.
If you need something on the forum ASK FOR IT and you will receive in short order!

Racetronix
www.racetronix.com
sales@racetronix.com
Notice: This communication is intended for the use of the recipient(s) named above. It may contain information that is privileged, confidential and subject to copyright. Any thing unauthorized use, copying, review or disclosure is prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately if you have received this communication in error and destroy all copies. Thank you for your assistance and co-operation

I don't like bad mouthing any company so I figured I would let you read what happen and you decide if you want to do business with Racetronic's. They are not a Customer friendly company like Tom at Hendricks.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where did you buy the harness from? I bought my racetronix pump and harness through Lonnie's Performance on here. I never installed it and sold it but if i had any problems i can guarantee Lonnies would have been more then willing to help. Just for future reference should something come up again.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

Bought it thru Racetronic. This has been an intresting project with this harness, Areomotive pump, and the Maggie. Almost done now just working on the programmer for the Maggie. For some reason Magnasum sent me a programmer for 06 LS2 instead of my 05 LS6. They have been working with me.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JimmiB
Bought it thru Racetronic. This has been an intresting project with this harness, Areomotive pump, and the Maggie. Almost done now just working on the programmer for the Maggie. For some reason Magnasum sent me a programmer for 06 LS2 instead of my 05 LS6. They have been working with me.
Projects are never easy lol, i just pulled my mustang otu for the first time, and within 30 mintues i had a flat tire and a broken clutch fluid reservoir line lol. Im sure itll pay off, why do you need the programmer though? Your gettign a dyno tune anyways right.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

which aeromotive pump? hope your not using the 1114* stealth pump (especially in the stock V basket).

Im hoping you didnt go ahead with this anyways, considering you started this thread: (You will get very good at dropping the tank...)
https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...n-11142-a.html
Old 07-25-2011, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

Default Solved

Well I guess I am in trouble with Racetronics..... I didnt know that I could not repost my forum conversation with them. Like I said I wasn't trying to bad mouth them just let others make their own decision. Instead of getting a Sorry or we would like to know what we could do better from them this is what I got:

You have been banned for the following reason:
FORUM POLICY VIOLATION - REPOSTING INFO ON PUBLIC FORUM LS1TECH

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

Nice....

As far as the Aeromotive Pump, I have worked with them and did what their suggestion were. I have setup so I can have fuel pressure reading right out of the pump and at the engine. Both are reading the same. Stock power wiring 50 psi at pump and at engine. Thru the Racetronics harness 60 psi. I did mods to the stock basket to allow extra fuel into the basket not to starve the pump. Will let everyone know how it goes once I get the programming under control and can drive it. Don't know anyone in the far west suburbs of Chicago who do dyno tuning. Any suggestions would be Greatly appericated, that way I might be able to drive this weekend....

Jimmi
Old 07-25-2011, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Speed inc is 45 minutes from chicago. Hands down the best in your area.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:51 AM
Staging Lane

Do you have a phone number?

Thanks
Old 07-26-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

As far as the Aeromotive Pump, I have worked with them and did what their suggestion were. I have setup so I can have fuel pressure reading right out of the pump and at the engine. Both are reading the same. Stock power wiring 50 psi at pump and at engine. Thru the Racetronics harness 60 psi. I did mods to the stock basket to allow extra fuel into the basket not to starve the pump.

Jimmi
I was under the impression that the pump flows too much (not a starving issue) but rather forcing it to run at the fuel required rates at such a low psi (in this case ~60psi) based on the flow... causes the pump to burn out...like fuel backpressure so to speak caused by the regulator...
maybe I mis-understood.
So you talked to Aeromotive and found a work around or solution?

Also, why would stock wiring provide 50psi on your rails? No matter which wiring or Pump, you should see 58psi as the system is regulated. that doesn't make sense.

Shitty about the banning... that is crappy.

Last edited by vmapper; 07-26-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:14 AM
12 Second Club

F racetronix. That is a load and not very professional.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Aeromotive wasnt sure if the pump was pumping to much and causing back pressure that is why they wanted me to get the pressure right out of the pump and at the fuel rail to see if it was higher at the pump, which it is not so we should be good. As far as the pressure goes it might have been the same or slightly less. When I plugged in the stock harness it was a quick look to see if the pump was working.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do you have a phone number?

Thanks
Here you go.

http://ls1speed.com/

Just had my 2011 dynoed there last week. Nice guys. Too bad it was 99 degrees with 80% humidity. Plan on having then do a dyno tune with or without some goodies. Haven't decided yet.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

4 to 5 weeks WOW

Thanks thou
Old 07-26-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you take any pics of the basket modification? I didn't modify mine, but I cut a trap door under the seat so I have easy access.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

I drilled extra holes in the top of my basket, also opened up the port on the top of the basket where the basket feed line connects. I also try to keep the fuel above 1/4 tank.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Aeromotive wasnt sure if the pump was pumping to much and causing back pressure that is why they wanted me to get the pressure right out of the pump and at the fuel rail to see if it was higher at the pump, which it is not so we should be good. As far as the pressure goes it might have been the same or slightly less. When I plugged in the stock harness it was a quick look to see if the pump was working.
Good to hear...
Should work out for you then...
Old 07-26-2011, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

I took pictures of everything and once I get everything done and I know it works I put pictures up.

Quick Reply: Need help no voltage to Fuel Pump