Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

hurst shifter

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hurst shifter

so i purchased the hurst short throw, drove it for a little less then a week and it was fine. then i was at a stop sign, took off, tried to shift into second and it didnt engage! thought it broke after a week. i couldnt get it in gear or anything. so i got it towed home and pulled everything off, the bolts that held thee front of the shifter broke and took metal pieces with it. ill post pics but what the hell do i do!!??
also seems like the place where the ball on the shifter engages dropped down a little

Old 07-18-2011, 01:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the troubles. If you'd done a little research you would have seen the Hurst is prone to break and isn't considered a very good shifter. There's a plastic piece in there that has issues too. GMM, MGW and Billet are the only serious shifters for our cars.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

the hurst itself didnt break. thats why im posting this. im trying to find out what actually broke. can anyone help out? what do i need to replace?
Old 07-19-2011, 12:45 PM
12 Second Club

That picture is of the stock base that the Hurst bolts onto. If I recall correctly the Hurst reuses most of the stock base and just bolts on top of it so either the Hurst is broken or you need a new stock base. You won't be able to get pieces for the base if that is actually it. There are some that haven't had issues with the Hurst but it's known for not being a good option. If that part you're holding came from in the circular place on the lower part of that picture it's part of the Hurst. Hurst USED to be a good name. They got bought by Mr Gasket before this thing came out
Old 07-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

the bolt im holding mounted the hurst to the top part of that picture. the bolt itself didnt break but it got pulled out and broke off a piece of metal (still on thread of bolt) from that picture. does that make sense?
is there a way to change out that plate?
Old 07-19-2011, 02:17 PM
12 Second Club

The "plate" you have still mounted is the lower half of the stock shifter. The Hurst only replaces the linkage part and not the whole thing. If it's NOT the Hurst that's broken your only option is to find someone with a stock used unit to sell you. Shouldn't be too hard as an awful lot of guys have switched to the GMM, Billet or MGW that replaces the whole thing. Go to ls1gto.com and post in the wanted to buy section.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Teching In

get the gmm race shifter yes its $ but is so nice
Old 07-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by svede1212
The "plate" you have still mounted is the lower half of the stock shifter. The Hurst only replaces the linkage part and not the whole thing. If it's NOT the Hurst that's broken your only option is to find someone with a stock used unit to sell you. Shouldn't be too hard as an awful lot of guys have switched to the GMM, Billet or MGW that replaces the whole thing. Go to ls1gto.com and post in the wanted to buy section.
thanks for your help! what exactly is the name of that part i should post about?
Old 07-20-2011, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

well i guess im going to buy the gmm or billet. dont want to waste money on that base and have it break again -__- shouldve just paid the extra money in the first place. which one do you recommend?
Old 07-24-2011, 09:37 AM
11 Second Club

Go with the MGW

That piece you broke is a GTO specific, adapter plate, to the top of the trans. Its just because of the position of the console/shifter base
Old 07-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

Curious, did you have to use loctite on those bolts? I have the Hurst (for about 3 years now) and I seem to remember having to loctite someting in there. Can't remember.

Quick Reply: hurst shifter