Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BorlaMouth Owners...INSIDE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation BorlaMouth Owners...INSIDE!!!

Did any of you guys or shops have problems with fitment of the Borla muffler? I brought it to a shop today and they're like, i want to show you something. The LM Resonator is 4", the Borla 5". There's like a 1/2 inch of clearance from the SLP Resonator to the driveshaft when the rearend is dropped. The Borla will need special fitment.

They said they'd have to cut the Y in the back, and the I just after the Y up front. Make some new pipes to get the clearance with the Borla, to move it off of the driveshaft a 1/2" like the SLP. There's like 4" of clearance when the tires are on the ground. I can understand what they're saying though.

Anyhow they qouted me at $240 for 3 hours. Seems pricey. They wanted me to come back first thing in the morning tomorrow to get it done.

So BorlaMouth guys- Was this the same procedure you guys had to go through when doing this mod or what??

$103 Muffler shipped from Jegs + $240 for installation =

Last edited by Kev98Ta; 03-01-2004 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn!!! Add those prices up with the original purchase price of the LM and you're getting into Borla/Corsa/GMMG territory. Sounds kinda rough to me. TTT for ya, because I'm getting ready to turn my LM into a BorlaMouth, so any input from you guys who have done it would be great.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

B.S. as long as you ordered the 40085 round muffler, there is no need for clearance....Mine went in without any problems at all.....no modifications to nothing.....sounds like they do not want to fool with it so take it somewhere else......

John
Old 03-01-2004, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

I've got the 40085 muffler. Dude i went into the shop and looked underneath my car. There was only like a 1/2" clearance from the resonator to the driveshaft, with the rearend dropped, while on the lift. Like i said there's a GOOD 4" of clearance w/ the tires on the ground. My LM is also welded, so they said they wouldnt be able to get any play because of that. Btw- It's only spot welded. But i still thought BS.

I guess i'll just wait a couple months till i get headers & ory and have Speed Inc. do it all.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Smile

Originally Posted by Kev98Ta
...I guess i'll just wait a couple months till i get headers & ory and have Speed Inc. do it all.

Good Idea I had Speed Inc weld my Borla muffler in place of my LM resonator and have had no isues at all. They should be able to take care of you with no problems
Old 03-01-2004, 11:20 PM
12 Second Club

Thats why you should of gotten the Borla XR1 muffler instead.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bad Blu Formula
Thats why you should of gotten the Borla XR1 muffler instead.

Sorry man...

Thats what this thread is about. Part #40085 is the Borla XR-1 Round Sportsman.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kev98Ta
I guess i'll just wait a couple months till i get headers & ory and have Speed Inc. do it all.
As already stated, that is what i would do then.....good luck....

John
Old 12-13-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

yep, the revival of an old thread....i just put in pacesetter longtube headers and ory. i had corsa sport exhaust that sounded sweet, but now it sounds like ***. does this borlamouth thing only work with loudmouth or could it work for the corsa too. im not too sure how the loudmouth is made....ive got to get rid of this rasp!!!

also ive searched EVERYWHERE for a XR-1 muffler and nobody has it in stock for another month. im pretty desperate to get it done by this weekend. here is the alternative i might have found...

its cheaper, and its made exactly like the borla to my knowlege. its shorter but its 1" bigger around. this is going on a silverado so there wont be any clearence issues. think this will do the trick?
Old 12-13-2005, 07:37 PM
TECH Junkie

The XR-1 will work wonders for the rasp. would be worth it to wait till someone has them in stock. I'll have an oval XR1 for sale in the next few weeks. PM me if you are interested.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

i hated the way my xr1 fit. it would either rub the drive shaft or touch the body and vibrate the hole car.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by REDWS6ROCKET
i hated the way my xr1 fit. it would either rub the drive shaft or touch the body and vibrate the hole car.
this is going on a truck so there shouldnt be any clearence issues. i figured the magnaflow would do as good of a job because the xr1 and magnaflow are both made almost exactly the same... any reason why the borla does a better job?
Old 12-14-2005, 08:53 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

The *** end of my XR1 hangs down. I didn't have access
to a welder and cut everything by guess and took it to a
shitty little shop here that charged me $20 to weld it.
I don't do big city and speed bumps that often so it
means nothing to me. It sounds great. WTF.
As far as mods to "tuck it up", any dumb *** with a
sawzall/bandsaw and a MIG/TIG/stick welder can get
it up pretty close to the driveshaft with enough
clearance.
BTW, 5" round Borla compared to 4" round resonator
= only 1/2" of clearance loss up top. Think about it.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
this is going on a truck so there shouldnt be any clearence issues. i figured the magnaflow would do as good of a job because the xr1 and magnaflow are both made almost exactly the same... any reason why the borla does a better job?
Probably not. I'm not sure how well the Magnaflow flows, but I would guess its pretty good.

But of course here on the internet every one will swear the most popular thing is best, even when they have no frigging clue.

I say go for.

Quick Reply: BorlaMouth Owners...INSIDE!!!