Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Exhaust

Ok, so i posted this in the newbie tech and didnt get much of a response. I am hoping someone hear can put there two cents in. I bought the Magnaflow Catback (dual tips) and have it sitting in the garage for about a week. I purchased American Racing Headers and a Catted Y pipe yesterday. The gentlemen on the phone mentioned to me that i would have to get an additional piece to fit between the 3" y pipe and the cat back exhaust as the magnaflow is not the same size? Anyway, has anyone run into this in the past or am i worried about nothing? Should i have gotten a different cat back that would bolt right up?

Anyway, please help a guy out, as my headers and y pipe should be in my garage sometime tomorrow.

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you saying that the daimeter of the Y-pipe is larger than the cat-back piping? If this is true, then yes you'll need an adapter (simply a piece of metal that will merge the 2 different sizes and can be welded in between). But this is not big deal, any exhaust shop can do this. Of course it's preferable to have a continueous diameter for the exhaust, but you'll never notice any real difference, so nothing to be worried about
Old 07-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

I guess i assumed that the magnaflow cat back dual tip exhaust was the same thickness all the way through. I knew that the y pipe is 3" and i know that the cat back was 3". However, it sounds like the pipe that ties into the Y-pipe is actually 2.75". I am not sure why this is?

Like i said, i assumed that the cat back was 3" all the way through. Is this the case for all cat backs, or only on the Magnaflow?
Old 07-20-2011, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Some manufacturers offer slightly different exhaust diameters, but usually between 2.5"-3". I don't know every company's cat-back diameters-oh, and no, Magnaflow is not the only one to offer that size. But if you're looking at 2.75" at the end of your Y pipe, you're totally fine-this is still really common.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the Magnaflow (and other aftermarket catbacks) are usually bolt on - to the stock y pipe/system, unless noted otherwise. If you change the y to non stock, you will prolly need a piece if tubing to transition the two pieces.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

I have a magnaflow with a texas speed y. there was a short piece of the magnaflow mid pipe that was smaller which allowed it to slide into the 3 inch outlet of the y pipe. the rest is 3 inch till it comes out of the muffler then its 2.5 inch at tail pipes.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

Also... i have read that Poly Motor Mounts are a must on a header install. Is this the case even for a low mileage car (14,000 miles). Please advise. Not sure if this is something i should do? If so, any suggestions?
Old 07-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Teching In

I recently installed 1 3/4" American Racing Headers with Cat'd Y-Pipe (no EGR or A.I.R.) and a MagnaFlow Cat-Back system (single tips) on my 2000 SS Convertible. The Y-Pipe and Cat-Back mated up just fine. The headers and y-pipe tuck up close to the car (which is why I bought them because I'm lowered with Strano springs and Koni adjustable shocks). I will eventually upgrade my intake, heads, and Cam and was concerned that the extra HP and torque might cause the y-pipe to bang against the bottom of the car, so I installed Prothane motor mounts while installing the headers. I can't imagine trying to install them with the headers already in, so now is a good time to install them if you think you will ever need them.

I am very happy with the American Racing Headers and the MagnaFlow Cat-Back.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

I did my mounts when I did my headers. At the time my car had about 30,000 miles on it (a couple of years ago). One of the motor mounts was starting to tear. I am glad I took the advice and did the mounts. They are a bitch to do (didn't have any helpers) but worth doing them when nothing is in the way.

Good luck!!

don
Old 07-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

donman...

1. did you get a tune following your exhaust being installed?
2. what size 02 extensions did have to purchase? Obviously the rears can be tuned out, however i am not sure what size i need to get for my set up.
3.What is the part number for the prothane mm's? How long did they take for you to install?

Last edited by BLKZ28VERT; 07-20-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Yes I did get a tune. I sent my PCM into Frost. Best money I ever spent (really awesome if you have an A4).

I can't find my purchase for the O2 extensions, I want to says they we 24". Looking at ws6store.com they have the 24" ones, which is probably where I bought them from.

I got the mounts from Byunspeed (this was in 2009)

1 x Prothane Motor Mounts, Black (1998-2002 Camaro & Firebird LS1) 7-512BL $49.95 $49.95

Well the mounts took me longer than a normal. I wasn't in any hurry as my car is not a daily driver, and I didn't have any help. I had my car on jack stands and my motor must of moved when I unbolted the drivers side. So I could not get the bolts to line up. My daughters fiance showed up and helped pry the motor forward while I got the bolts started. The passenger side wasn't too bad. I know it was a few hours probably of changing them, I am sure others have done theirs more quickly. There is a good write up on here on the process of doing it. I had to move my alternator and air conditioner to get the motormount bolt out. Neither one was that bad.

As far as the headers go, I have Pacesetter's and the only thing I had to do was grind a little off the tab on the back of the block on the drivers side. Then it slide right in. The passenger side was not bad at all.

Some of the other parts I used,

3" band clamps
air pipe gaskets
new GM exhaust gaskets (from a vendor that is not a sponsor)

I think that is it.

Oh, I bought the O2 simulators because I didn't know you could tune them out. They are still on my car even though they are tuned out.

Good luck, post if you have any questions..

Don