Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Want SS suspension for Z28, but how?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want SS suspension for Z28, but how?

Hi, I'm sort of new to this forum, only been here a few times. I own a 2001 Camaro Z28, A4. Just rolled over 66,000 miles. I have noticed in the last 5,000-10,000 miles that the ride quality is decreasing and so is the handling. What I want is a fresh suspension. However, I've read that the SS models came with a stiffer and sportier supsension. Does anyone have any ideas on where I can get factory OEM, or better than SS replacement parts? And what all parts should I replace?

I'm feeling I should replace the front and rear struts mainly. Possibly the tie rods, to stiffen up the steering...and maybe the sway bars. Any suggestions?
Old 07-20-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

springs and shocks...check the vendors on here and do a search. there are way too many different combos for different purposes.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why would you want stock ss parts? Get some good aftermarket shocks/springs/sway bars. How much money are you looking to spend?
Old 07-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Banned

But a lot of these vendors don't exactly specify what springs/shocks they are selling. They say 1998-2002 Camaro. I can't be sure if I'm getting the shocks from a base V6, a Z28, an SS, or just some aftermarket part. I would like OEM SS suspension or aftermarket that is improved over the SS suspension.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

The only suspension difference from a Z28 to SS is sway bars unless they were SLP optioned with Bilstiens and Eibachs.

Replace all bushings and do a spring/shock/sway bar upgrade and you'll love it. Bilstiens if your on a budget or Konis if you have the $. I love my konis with vogtland springs.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Banned

Well I have stock Z28 parts right now, so if I got fresh SS suspension that'd be a good step up for me. I'm looking at spending up to $600.

Thing that really bothers me is the car feels shakey at high speeds, and the sharpness of the handling is decreasing. I want it to feel sharp and nimble again, preferably better than when it was brand new.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Banned

Bilstiens or Konis. Thank you, I will have to check those out.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
Well I have stock Z28 parts right now, so if I got fresh SS suspension that'd be a good step up for me. I'm looking at spending up to $600.

Thing that really bothers me is the car feels shakey at high speeds, and the sharpness of the handling is decreasing. I want it to feel sharp and nimble again, preferably better than when it was brand new.
Has it been to an alignment shop? Do your tires have plenty of tread left on them? Are the ball joints, tie rod ends, and bushings in good shape?

I would check those things first.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01

Z28 has the exact same suspension as a SS besides the fact SS has bigger sway bars. Get a good set of springs like Stranos and go with a set of Koni 4/4s and your car will feel like a whole new animal. Stock decarbons are junk. Also look into a set of sway bars. I'm going with Strano Hollow bars personally.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

if you want nimble steering a set of strano sway bars and some bilstein HD's would def inprove what you are talking about and should fit in your budget
Old 07-20-2011, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

is there a difference in the handling of the solid 35mm sway bars and the hollow 35mm ones?
Old 07-21-2011, 12:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
is there a difference in the handling of the solid 35mm sway bars and the hollow 35mm ones?
Probably not enough to really notice. Hollow bars are ALOT lighter.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:56 AM
On The Tree

Strano is the guru on f-body suspension and a sponsor here. Send him an email or give him a call. Nice guy who's willing to work with you and not oversell you stuff you don't need...
Old 07-21-2011, 03:00 AM
On The Tree

Strano!! the way to go..I have KYB's with Sportlines..nice drop with rear heater hose mods but rides like **** with the Eibachs right now...gonna get some Strano's than either Bilsteins or Koni's in the future.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I just got my my strano springs/bilstein shock combo, which I thik is one of the best all around for street performance for the price. The word here is that stockers are junk.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$600 is a good amount of money to start off modifying your suspension. However, if your car is unstable at high speed you may have something worn, tie rod, ball joint, etc. You may want to check those basic wear items out first before you start spending money on aftermarket items.

If your car checks out fine I would definitely look at getting a set of shocks. With $600 you can easily get a set of SLP bilsteins, which would turn your Z28 into a completely different car. Sadly your just short of being able to afford a set of springs, which again would COMPLETELY change the car. However, when lowering an F-body there are other misc. items that you *should* get but aren't necessarily required (panhard rod, relo brackets, etc.). Good luck
Old 07-21-2011, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
I just got my my strano springs/bilstein shock combo, which I thik is one of the best all around for street performance for the price. The word here is that stockers are junk.
+1
I love my strano/bilstein set-up.
They will also be right in your $600 price range too.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

hey whiteknight you want it tightened up?? get you some good subframe connectors . i hav e weld in spohns chromemoly tightened up my car $300.00 wellspent
Old 07-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
Has it been to an alignment shop? Do your tires have plenty of tread left on them? Are the ball joints, tie rod ends, and bushings in good shape?

I would check those things first.
I'm glad this thread is getting a lot of attention, it's helping me out a lot.

I have taken it to an alignment shop, they say the alignment is fine. But here's the really tricky thing about it. I live in the deep south, Mississippi, it gets in the upper 90's and low 100's here often. During the day time when it's VERY hot outside, the car feels a little sloppy, it doesn't change lanes as quickly. But once night comes, and cools off to the 70's or so the car feels sharp and nimble again, feels like a true sports car. A friend from I know, who is a real car guru himself says that for these cars that as the suspension parts age and get more mileage they become more susceptible to the heat, expanding slightly with the heat and thus decreasing their capabilities. He says that new parts won't be affected by the heat...as much.

Anyone else have any insight on this?

By the way, the car just passed 66,000 miles.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by oldmano2z
hey whiteknight you want it tightened up?? get you some good subframe connectors . i hav e weld in spohns chromemoly tightened up my car $300.00 wellspent
I have heard of the sub-frame connectors. Can you tell me about how much the cost? What would the install of them cost as well? Also, are there any cons or negatives to installing them?

Most people say they are a great mod and tighten the car up a lot. Which I would like, the car does ride pretty rough, and feels shaky. Part of that I blame on it having T-tops, part I blame it being a Camaro and having that type of suspension, and part I blame on it having 66,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Want SS suspension for Z28, but how?