Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Harbor Freight Polisher

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Harbor Freight Polisher

Okay, I've read several of the polisher threads and I am well aware that buying pretty much anything from Harbor Freight is a crap shoot - that's why I only buy stuff from HF that is non-critical or non-safety issue fasteners, jackstands, etc. But is the HF polisher really all that bad? I understand the Porter Cable polisher is the best way to go and practically idiot proof, but I just can't swing the $130 right now for something that I might only use once or twice a year, plus I think I'm a little above the "idiot" level when it comes to power tools (all eyes, fingers and toes so far). Also my car is not a show piece but I'd like to make it look a little better than what can be done with an Black and Decker orbital.

So if anyone has had any ACTUAL experience with the HF polisher, what do you REALLY think, taking into consideration that the thing is practically disposable at $35.

Now if someone wants to sell me a PC for around $75, I'm all ears.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had mine for 3 years. Works great. I don't see why people complain about em.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Swiat34
I've had mine for 3 years. Works great. I don't see why people complain about em.
So you're saying your car didn't just melt into a puddle as soon as it touched the paint? From what I've read people either think there is a risk of burning the paint or the things practically burn out as soon as you turn them on.

Last edited by Cheap Guy; 07-24-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

LoL Well it doesn't cone with a polishing disc, just a foam pad for the wool pad. So if you use that, it's pretty course and can cause damage. I bought 3M pads at O'Reillys. It IS variable speed so if you're inexperienced, you can run it slow and careful until you get the hang of it. HAHA And it didn't melt my car, slime the paint nor did it burst into flames when I used it. LoL Some ppl get so wrapped up in brand names...
Old 07-24-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
So you're saying your car didn't just melt into a puddle as soon as it touched the paint? From what I've read people either think there is a risk of burning the paint or the things practically burn out as soon as you turn them on.
Personally, I think you really have to TRY to burn your paint. Just gotta watch out for edges. I've been running a cheap-o Ryobi buffer for years. It works fine for me.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 07-24-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude, go for it. I have had mine for a couple years now and I use it WEEKLY. The variable speed works great. It can go very slow or way to fast and anything in between. I do a lot of painting, and use it to cut and buff. If/when it goes out, I'll be buying another. If sure isn't a PC, but dude for the price you can't go wrong at all. Even the pad that comes with it is decent.

Also, I used it last week to completely strip down and polish a massive industrial stainless steel countertop. Ran it for at least 2 hours straight with a lot of resistance. FAR more than any car would ever need. No problem.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Same here, I just bought the $59 polisher on sale for $29 and it worked fine on the slowest setting. I like Harbor Freight for stuff that is used infrequently. My 4 1/2 grinder from there has lasted over 10 years.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Used a buddies..and going to get my own.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:08 AM
Launching!

I personally have used and own(ed) both, and from experience, I thought the HF one was so sick when I first got it, but at the time I used that foam padding and the bungie rag applicator, the thing always fell off, the foam was not wider that the backing pad so I effed up the paint when the corner hit the center of my ram air hood, just gave up on it and got a porter cable... Gotta say it was well worth the 130, I also had problems dropping that much but it is literally 100x better, the dual action makes the compound go on sooo smooth and effortless. I don't believe it's something I can fully explain to you without you getting hands on, don't waste the money on a HF, Mine just sits in the garage now. Get a porter cable the end!
Old 07-25-2011, 02:18 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

agree with blackbird,pc or bust
Old 07-25-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

The foam pad that comes with the HF Polisher isn't for polishing. Just for padding under the wool pad. I have never seen someone use the EDGE of a polisher so that sounds like operator error.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

X2^^^

Go online and buy a LC pad with the edges that roll over the backing plate. ~$14 shipped. They are the only pads I use.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:04 PM
FormerVendor

Which 'polisher' is it? HF sells a couple of tools.... one is a rotary which if you don't have any experience with you could very easily burn thru paint with.

The other is an orbital, but the problem is its cap speed UNLOADED is like 3000opm, effective polishing happens north of 5000opm so its almost useless if you intend to do any REAL polishing.

Last edited by Matt@adams; 07-25-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use the rotary. I use an old Black & Dicker orbital for buffing wax and that's about it.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Rotary here.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

I went and picked up the HF polisher today for $35. It was cheaper a few weeks ago but still not a wallet breaker, lol. Again, I'm not too worried about damaging my finish, especially with following the advice from people who have used it or similar variable speed polishers. I'll also get a little practice on my Jeep Grand Cherokee, ha ha.

Like some one mentioned above, I plan on getting quality pads, along with quality polishes after doing some more research in this forum. Suggestions welcomed.

Again, I'm not arguing that the PC isn't a better device, but I'm thinking I can get decent results with the HF.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I prefer Meguires 105 and 205, but it's expensive.

Evercoat makes really good inexpensive compounds, so they are #1 for bang/buck in my book.

AutoMagic makes decent stuff too. Pretty cheap. I think I paid $15 for a quart of compound last week and works well.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Launching!

I know that it was my fault for not seeing the edge of the backing plate but what my point was that the pc was well worth the money. I wasn't aware id need to buy a backing plate and pads when I got the HF. The pc is far superior in my opinion
Old 07-25-2011, 09:59 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
I went and picked up the HF polisher today for $35. It was cheaper a few weeks ago but still not a wallet breaker, lol. Again, I'm not too worried about damaging my finish, especially with following the advice from people who have used it or similar variable speed polishers. I'll also get a little practice on my Jeep Grand Cherokee, ha ha.

Like some one mentioned above, I plan on getting quality pads, along with quality polishes after doing some more research in this forum. Suggestions welcomed.

Again, I'm not arguing that the PC isn't a better device, but I'm thinking I can get decent results with the HF.
Hey... do what you gotta do, just offering up information take it for what it is.

Definitely spend some time to practice on something you don't care about much and don't go crazy using aggressive compounds. Practice, practice, practice - a rotary isn't something you just pick up and are good with.

Perfect example popped up on our forum today, guy took his truck to the bodyshop for a panel repaint. Their "detailer" did a rotary buff job on his fender - this is a perfect example of what improper/bad technique will net you (Note the holograms/buffer trails. Most common side effect of inexperienced rotary polishing)

Heres the same panel after one pass using a white pad, fine machine polish and an DA polisher:

There are 3 things that dictate cut when polishing:

Type of Tool: PC or similar being least aggressive // Rotary being most aggressive
Type of Pad: Range from 0 cut waxing thru heavy compounding & wool
Type of Chemical: Range from finishing/finesse polishes thru heavy cut compound

Using a rotary tool your need for polishes and pad combo are going to be fairly low, many people make the mistake of picking up a heavy cut compound and aggressive pad to use with a rotary for minor swirl removal.

In other words DON'T USE A BAZOOKA TO SWAT FLIES.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have one. its chicago brand. i tried to burn the paint with the wool pad and polishing compound however the rotary was not strong enough. i practiced on a stock z28 spoiler intentionally trying to burn it but i wasnt able to.

so anyways yes i was able to relieve major swirl problems on my paint with it

Quick Reply: Harbor Freight Polisher