LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Trying to get opinions and what you think this motor is worth.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Trying to get opinions and what you think this motor is worth.

So I think I may have found a deal on a motor that I wanna pick up. I'm trying to figure out what people think of it (parts and quality) and what you would think the value of it is.

The run down:
Built by Cappola Motorsports
0 Miles

eagle forged rotating assembly balanced
eagle 5.7 h beam rods w/ARP 8740
bolts eagle forged crank 3.480 Srp .040 over -24 dished blower pistons
with hellfire rings.4 bolt billet mains and billet front main with arp
studs zero decked block pistons are .002 in holes.

Clearances,
mains
#1 .0025
#2 .0025
#3 .0026
#4 .0026
#5 .0034
clevite H bearings

Rods
#1 .0022
#2 .0022
#3 .0021
#4 .0023
#5 .0021
#6 .0022
#7 .0022
#8 .0021
clevite H bearings

Ring gaps

Top .022
second.023

Rod side clearance .020

Crankshaft endplay .004
Comp cams solid roller 230/244 .586/.589 115 LSA w/1.6 rockers
lt4 heavy duty timing set with front cover
opti spark delete plate
Canton 8 quart race pan with melling high volume pump w/adj pressure
billet drive

Now I am going to be replacing the solid roller cam with a hydraulic roller cam from LE and going the nitrous route instead of FI.

What do you guys think of it?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems sweet. What cam from LE are choosing?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not the best idea unless you are going turbo/supercharger.

Nitrous loves compression, and I wouldn't pick a -24cc dished blower pistons for a nitrous build.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Puck

Nitrous loves compression, and I wouldn't pick a -24cc dished blower pistons for a nitrous build.
Nailed it on the head!
Old 07-26-2011, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Plan for a turbo or SC next stage
Old 07-26-2011, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I spoke with the engine builder today and he said that the way the rings are capped it should be more than fine for my plans of a 150-200 shot of spray. I'm curious to see how it will run N/A once I talk to LE for a cam
Old 07-26-2011, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Puck

it will work but it won't perform as well as it would if the c/r was stock or higher. are you going to have lloyd tailor the cam towards n2o or N/A?
Old 07-26-2011, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by am_muscl
Well I spoke with the engine builder today and he said that the way the rings are capped it should be more than fine for my plans of a 150-200 shot of spray. I'm curious to see how it will run N/A once I talk to LE for a cam
That builder is an idiot then! Or perhaps all that he meant was not relayed. There is also the possibility that he is not LT1 literate as well.

So let me clarify for you:
The rings are capable of handling nitrous. The problem is the compression ratio is nowhere near ideal fro an N/A or nitrous only application. These cars are 10.5:1 from the factory (chill guys I used it for sake of even numbers). That is with a flat top piston. Now you take a -24 cc dished piston and you are well below optimal compression. Consider the fact that molst of the folks upgrading there motors are also upgrading the compression. Most are AT LEAST 11.5:1. NITROUS LOVES COMPRESSION.

It is your money, your car. If you go this route you will not be happy and it will perform like a turd! Now if you want to use a turbo or supercharger this would be the ideal route, but until it is aided by either of those options you will not be a happy camper at all!
Old 07-26-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've built a throw together 10 to 1 nA motor that ran good optimal. No. I wouldn't waste my time and money
Old 07-26-2011, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am thinking I will have Lloyd taylor the cam more towards nitrous because although I don't have the nitrous setup right now, I will have it down the road and I don't want to have to swap cams again to go with nitrous.

Now if all I need to change is the pistons and rings to be more compatible with nitrous, then I can do that and sell the piston/ring setup that is in there now. I am getting what I feel like is a stupid deal on this motor so if I have to spend a little more to get it exactly setup for nitrous, then I will do that. and like I said, the engine builder said that the way the rings are gapped it was setup for a supercharger but he said it should have no problems handling a 150-200 shot.

the shop is Coppola Motorsports in NY. google them, they specialize is LSX and LTX applications
Old 07-26-2011, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and so for a nitrous route, which pistons/rings would you recommend that .040 over??

Something like these?.....http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SRP-138082/
Old 07-26-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contact Corey Clayton and get some cp pistons like I have.... they started as custom but are now a off the shelf piston...... pics speak a thousand words....

Old 07-26-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am thinking I will have Lloyd taylor the cam more towards nitrous because although I don't have the nitrous setup right now, I will have it down the road and I don't want to have to swap cams again to go with nitrous.

Now if all I need to change is the pistons and rings to be more compatible with nitrous, then I can do that and sell the piston/ring setup that is in there now. I am getting what I feel like is a stupid deal on this motor so if I have to spend a little more to get it exactly setup for nitrous, then I will do that. and like I said, the engine builder said that the way the rings are gapped it was setup for a supercharger but he said it should have no problems handling a 150-200 shot.

the shop is Coppola Motorsports in NY. google them, they specialize is LSX and LTX applications
If you don't mind changing the pistons, and can get a really good deal on it, then go for it. Just don't expect to be able to sell those pistons for much - not many people are looking for big dished low compression pistons.

Just to reiterate, I wouldn't even bother running it as-is without force induction. CR will be way too low.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Launching!

Sorry to hi jack this.

If you are looking for a good NA motor, I am selling the little motor out of my car.

Its a 356.
I have it listed on Racing junk.com
AD #2231781

I am also in IL. I live just south of Joliet very close to Route 66.

thanks
ken
Old 07-28-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's a really nice setup you have but it's a little out of my price range at the moment. That's why I feel like the motor I'm getting is a great deal and I'm making a road trip out of it with my gf to go pick it up. I'll have pics this weekend
Old 07-28-2011, 08:04 PM
Launching!

That's a really nice setup you have but it's a little out of my price range at the moment. That's why I feel like the motor I'm getting is a great deal and I'm making a road trip out of it with my gf to go pick it up. I'll have pics this weekend

No sweat. I just thought I would throw it out there. I had another guy spend a bunch of money and get terrible results before he knew that I had my old motor for sale.

Good luck with everything.

Ken
Old 07-28-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok I will bite.....how much is this great deal?
Old 07-29-2011, 06:46 AM
TECH Regular

i know the builder , i work with him . that motor was being built for a f1 blower set up . and has a veryyyy stout bottom end . is it ideal for no2 ? not really but it will run well . what ya think ya cant run a shot thru a 9.5 c/r motor ? lolol what did ii do in all my old stock third gens lol . stop hatin on tthe motor even if he does have to by pistons to make it ideal for what he is gettin the motor for its not huge . he is buying the motor for what the crank and a few rods are lol . o/p if ya want to ask anymore questions call nick and get my number , im not biased in any way and ill tell ya the truthdude . long story short coppola has been doing lt1,s since most of us knew what they were . christ we just sold his 8 sec c5 zr1 . with his work my stock motor with a cam broke 11,s . like most people on here its not totally ideal for spray but it willl work and ya can give it a good shot as well . coppola is currently building my 396 solid roller setup for my car with a 14-1 c/r bult for no2 .
Old 07-29-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 93v8clone
i know the builder , i work with him . that motor was being built for a f1 blower set up . and has a veryyyy stout bottom end . is it ideal for no2 ? not really but it will run well . what ya think ya cant run a shot thru a 9.5 c/r motor ? lolol what did ii do in all my old stock third gens lol . stop hatin on tthe motor even if he does have to by pistons to make it ideal for what he is gettin the motor for its not huge . he is buying the motor for what the crank and a few rods are lol . o/p if ya want to ask anymore questions call nick and get my number , im not biased in any way and ill tell ya the truthdude . long story short coppola has been doing lt1,s since most of us knew what they were . christ we just sold his 8 sec c5 zr1 . with his work my stock motor with a cam broke 11,s . like most people on here its not totally ideal for spray but it willl work and ya can give it a good shot as well . coppola is currently building my 396 solid roller setup for my car with a 14-1 c/r bult for no2 .
I think I was most critical of the motor. That being said, what I stated was correct in every way. Yeah you can spray the motor and yeah it will be fine, but it is not what he is looking for and if he thinks that it will work that way then the problem is all his. What we were trying to convey to him is the setup is not optimal for him. We never said the motor was POS, and the comment I made about them was to put pressure on the OP, that either we weren't getting the full story or something wasn't meshing. Like I said not my money, not my problem. But if and when someone asks for a truthful opinion thats what I will give them. I also believe it was stated the motor was a purpose built FI motor. Never meant to disrespect anyone, even tho it may have come off like that.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Regular

how is it not a correct way . blower pistons and no2 pistons are very simaler . both have a thick deck to handle the abuse etc etc . comp ratio is fine for what he doing etc etc

Quick Reply: Trying to get opinions and what you think this motor is worth.