Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Review of LsX After Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 11:42 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My Review of LsX After Install

Bottom line, for something so expensive, I expected better on the "little things"

1-a pain to put together, everthing is these allen head bolts with nuts. Thats ok but when you have to put the throttle body on that way that's pretty annoying, why didn't they thread the damn thing so you can put the TB on and off like normal.

2-The allen head bolts again. What a pain in the *** to put the intake on compared to the stock intake bolts. Fittin an allen wrench under there straight up and down isn't exactly enjoyable,took 6 times as long to put the intake on.

3-As I've seen mentioned before, the MAP sensor. What moron decided to not include a retaining clip like the GM design. I now have a small vacuum leak from the sensor flopping around in there and have to figure out how to fix that.

4- This intake leaked like a noodle strainer when it first went on. The car didn't hardly want to run it was leaking so bad. I had to go around and keep cranking down on the bolts to get it to seal..the top half of the intake didn't even want to seal to the bottom half, I had to really dick around to get it all to work right.

Maybe I'm just a picky bastard, but that kinda stuff annoys me when you spend good money on a part. Its the little stuff that matters to me along with other things.

On the plus side, car feels good, guess I'll find out when I get it on the dyno and to the track though
Old 03-01-2004, 11:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think for costing that much it should be a little better than what you described, or many your just biased
Old 03-02-2004, 12:25 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

I agree 100% .... for something that cost basically double what a normal intake would, it should work/install flawlessly.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm...... Texas Speed has LS6 intakes for $360. Maybe I should reconsider, and spend the extra money elsewhere.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:18 AM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
I agree 100% .... for something that cost basically double what a normal intake would, it should work/install flawlessly.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've got the 90mm version and when I put the top half back on I used the old start in the center and cris-cross tightening the bolts outward and it seated to the bottom half just fine. On the map sensor just use a thin bead of silicone to make sure it stays in place, and yes there should be a retaining clip.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was just looking at a magazine I think it was Car Craft and saw a article on this. If I read correctly it stated 15hp and 7tq. I was just skimming though so I could be wrong. They really liked the performance of it from what I saw but I didn't read the whole thing.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

So is this LSX better then the LS6 intake manifold. I am looking to buy one But I don't want to spend all that money on the LSX if its not worth it. Also what ever one I get it will be installed the same time the heads and cam go on.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:23 AM
Motorboater

It does seem to be making decent power over the ls6 for cars with at least heads and cam work, I just wasn't very impressed with all the monkeying around I had to do to get the thing to work, and its still leaking, hopefully its just the sensor.

I will silicone the MAP sensor when I get a chance to get back over to my garage where the car is.

I think its a good mod, car does feel good. Like I said, I'm just picky about parts I spend alot of money on, I expect the little things to be thought of.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Interesting writeup!

Old 03-02-2004, 09:58 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the insight! I'm about to install mine & it helps to hear what others have stumbled across. I noticed the TB bolt situation. But I thought you re-used the stock intake bolts. Guess I better look again. NO problems with TB opening to 100%?
Old 03-02-2004, 10:03 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for the price you pay it should jump out of the box and install itself

will be interested to see new dyno's and times
Old 03-02-2004, 04:10 PM
Motorboater

or as my friend says for the price you pay it should give you a *******.

not sure on the TB opening all the way, mine was trimmed before because i had a problem with my cable last year, haven't put my Autotap on it yet to find out how far its opening.

if it works at the track i'll be happy.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:20 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Did the instructions for the intake come with torque specs?
Old 03-02-2004, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fast SS on TNT
Hmmmm...... Texas Speed has LS6 intakes for $360. Maybe I should reconsider, and spend the extra money elsewhere.
And they will keep getting cheaper as time goes on.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:36 AM
Motorboater

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I remember there being instructions of some kind in the box but I managed to lose them in my place somehow so when it was time to bring the manifold over to my garage i didn't have them. i read through them quick though and dont' remember seeing anything about tq sequence or specs. i have a small inch/lbs tq wrench that i could use,too.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:29 PM
TECH Veteran

for the price you pay it should jump out of the box and install itself
aint that the truth
Old 03-03-2004, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Yes mine did, first pass 30in/lbs final pass 50in/lbs.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
4- This intake leaked like a noodle strainer when it first went on. The car didn't hardly want to run it was leaking so bad. I had to go around and keep cranking down on the bolts to get it to seal..the top half of the intake didn't even want to seal to the bottom half, I had to really dick around to get it all to work right.

Maybe I'm just a picky bastard, but that kinda stuff annoys me when you spend good money on a part. Its the little stuff that matters to me along with other things.

On the plus side, car feels good, guess I'll find out when I get it on the dyno and to the track though

It says right in the instructions- Caution: Over-torquing will damage the manifold and cause improper sealing! I hope you didn't torque yours past 50in/lbs since you didn't have the instructions.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:24 PM
Motorboater

i dunno, i'll have to check. wish i didn't lose those ******* instructions but of course i did.

how do you put a tq wrench on an allen head bolt anyway? a tq bit won't go in there i'm sure and my bits are for 3/8 anyway..this inch lbs wrench i have is 1/4" i think