LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Just in time for the shootout greaaatttt!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Just in time for the shootout greaaatttt!!!!!

Well as alot of you saw the post i put up earlier this week about the grendaded rotor and cap........it gets worse..........

i have a fresh air hose hooked to engine vacuum that pulls fresh air through the cap at all times.......

i replaced the cap and rotor and fired the car up tonight........things popping and farting through the exhaust like i doesnt' want to run.........shut it off after about 8 seconds..........plugs are fine........seems to be compresison leaking out of a cylinder into the exhuast system...........

what im thinking now is a piece of the rotor when it shattered got sucked into the motor on #8 cylinder......all i need is to hang a valve open .040 and i will make contact and bend a valve.....which im thinking is what happened.........apparently the piece made it in past the intake valve and got stuck in the exhaust valve on the way out............gonna run a compression test tomorrow and if its what i think start ripping it down friday night so i can fix it and get it to the shootout.........

lucky me lol.......gotta love racing.........

ill post up tomorrow what the compression test shows........im expecting about 90psi on cyl #8 instead of the 270 it should be
Old 07-27-2011, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

That's not cool, best of luck. Hope it's an easy fix.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shesh man thats extremely shitty! Hopefully its something much easier to fix then a bent valve. Good Luck
Old 07-27-2011, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought you were going with the coil per cylinder setup?
Old 07-28-2011, 07:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

With the filter/flow reducer and check valve on the opti vacuum hose, how does any foreign matter get sucked into the engine? You can't run straight vacuum to the opti. It can cause the cap to collapse in on itself (rotor and cap destruction).
Old 07-28-2011, 07:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by shbox
With the filter/flow reducer and check valve on the opti vacuum hose, how does any foreign matter get sucked into the engine? You can't run straight vacuum to the opti. It can cause the cap to collapse in on itself (rotor and cap destruction).
Mike V. doesn't use an optispark.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:28 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Mike V. doesn't use an optispark.
what joe said^ lol...........its got an msd pro billet dizzy on it and i vented it to aid in reducing cross firing in the cap because its so small.......worked perfectly fine untill this happened...........

going to compression test it tonight.........if my assumption is correct the damage should be on cyl 8 where the port for the vacuum is in the intake........im figuring worst case scenario the valve bent and damaged the seat.....so it would need a valve and id send the head back to AI for a seat repair...,........ill make it to the shootout but my testing time just got wayyyyy reduced........
Old 07-28-2011, 07:43 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey Quick, looking at your sig, you must be an experienced builder and motorsports enthusiast who knows what he's doing but I was thinking what shbox was with the vacuum line size. And you are assuming this little piece made it all the way to the valves in cylinder 8.

As freshman as this may be, it sounds to me like you've simply mixed up the spark plug wires for 6 & 8.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:54 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Hey Quick, looking at your sig, you must be an experienced builder and motorsports enthusiast who knows what he's doing but I was thinking what shbox was with the vacuum line size. And you are assuming this little piece made it all the way to the valves in cylinder 8.

As freshman as this may be, it sounds to me like you've simply mixed up the spark plug wires for 6 & 8.
no i ran a 3/8" vacuum line and its only about a 4 inch piece of line to the intake runner, i was moving alot of air through there.......and with a Piston to Valve clearance of .040 it doesnt take much of a piece to cause issues for me....hanging a valve open .040 will cause piston cotnact..........and as the rhynite material it would've stayed hard even under a pretty high temperature.........

and trust me i checked all the plug wires lol......a few times.......and i also verified my timing at 32* BTDC so thats not it either.......

again this is just an eductated guess at this point we will see what a compression test yeilds for results tonight........
Old 07-28-2011, 08:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Still, running full vacuum to it does not sound like a real good idea (especially if it can suck foreign matter into the engine). Apply the same rules as for the opti. Seems common sense to me.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:20 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by shbox
Still, running full vacuum to it does not sound like a real good idea (especially if it can suck foreign matter into the engine).
well full vaccuum for me is about 5 inhg if im lucky lol...........as for the debris thing i screened the fresh air side of the dizzy........but i didn't think about the rotor grenading and sending in pieces like that............needless to say im going to filter the vacuum side now..........
Old 07-28-2011, 08:25 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds like you've checked everything. Good luck!

LOVE that color!
Old 07-28-2011, 09:21 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Sounds like you've checked everything. Good luck!

LOVE that color!
thanks!!! ill be posting up pics of what i find and the fix
Old 07-28-2011, 09:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
well full vaccuum for me is about 5 inhg if im lucky lol...........as for the debris thing i screened the fresh air side of the dizzy........but i didn't think about the rotor grenading and sending in pieces like that............needless to say im going to filter the vacuum side now..........
It's a crappy way to learn isn't it? Guess you wont be coming to LVD Sat.? Good luck man.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
but i didn't think about the rotor grenading and sending in pieces like that............needless to say im going to filter the vacuum side now..........
Atleast it wont happen again now. The world is trying to prevent you from kicking ***, its lame. Hope you get it all fixed quickly!
Old 07-28-2011, 10:41 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mystery Bird
It's a crappy way to learn isn't it? Guess you wont be coming to LVD Sat.? Good luck man.
prob not unless the compression test comes out ok and it winds up being something stupid......

Originally Posted by ZFreie
Atleast it wont happen again now. The world is trying to prevent you from kicking ***, its lame. Hope you get it all fixed quickly!
yea tell me about it and its doing a pretty good job at it!!!

thanks!!!
Old 07-28-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Try buying one of those kits for the shopvac, if ya dont already have one, that are for detailing. You could then remove the plug (have to anyways) and insert the tip of that tool and suck the cylinder out. If there is anything in there that will get it out. Just a suggestion.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear this news hope its an easy fix bro
Old 07-28-2011, 12:22 PM
9 Second Club

ok good news!!!!!!!

......compressoin test shows 265-275psi on all 8 lungs..i went home and did it at lunch time i had to know lol......no bent valves or internal issues!!! also just noticed that the base of my dizzy is scored....looks like the dizzy got pushed about .5" foward when the rotor grenaded.....its about 40* off which means the rotor was prob sending spark to the cylinder behind where it should have been if it was sending it at all........and it seemed like retarded timing when it was running too.......looks like possibly and easy fix!!!

gotta love the good ole bulletproof LT1 mechanical parts!!!!

gonna re-phase the dizzy tonite and i could be back out terrorizing the streets soon !!!
Old 07-28-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was gonna say your timing was just off, like 180 or apparently 40 off. All you gotta do is rephase. I bet thats a relief.