Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86 vet e rod ls with 700r4 throt by wire?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 vet e rod ls with 700r4 throt by wire?

I have an 86 corvette with a 406 small block, and a sweet shifting 700r4 from bowtie tranmisions. this is my fifth tranny and second engine. i just recently got this tranny and i love it. it perfect for my needs.

I have been contemplating on dropping in a new e rod ls3 crate engine. after doing hours of research i have hit a major snag that i have not been able to figuere out. how do you connect the tv cable, which is highly needed for the 700r4, to the throttle by wire on the new ls3 crate engine?

i know that the number one solution would be to remove the throttle by wire and just put in a throttle by foot manual throttle body, but this mod will void the smog carb eo status. so i cant go this route. the whole point of dropping in this engine is becuase is it comes carb approved and will bring my 86 vet to new emission standards.

the second solution for this would be to have my tranny converted to full manual valve body, i drive my vet to work almost every day. it has over 168k miles. this would not work for a daily driven vet.

the last solution is to drop the additional cash for a new 4l60e. but my tranny is new and i really dont want to do that. any of you ls gurus have any ideas?
Old 08-02-2011, 02:32 PM

anybody?
Old 08-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

Well the problem is that your engine has no throttle linkage to attach the TV cable to so there is not going to be any way to reference the transmission line pressure to the engine load. Orrrr, you indeed will have to go to a full manual unit that locks down line pressure. I do not advocate that for a daily driver though... you'll be tearing up soft parts with some regularity.

The only solution you have is to go with a 60e. In my experience you're going to be much happier with it in the long run anyhow. Point being, there is nobody I know that can shift a 700 or a 60e as efficiently as a PCM can at WOT.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:05 AM

well, i recently have thought of another solution. what if i attach a cable to the throttle by wire pedal. the pedal effort should still be same since its actuated by your foot. the position of the throttle blades is moved electronically but referenced by the foot as well as the cable. i think the only little glitch is that the tranny will receive input from the foot just a little faster than throttle body since the throttle takes a slight second to catch up.

what do you guys think?
Old 08-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah that's an idea.. hmmmm. Keep in mind that all the tranny needs to see is an input that references engine load. So it needs to be a constant, it cannot fluctuate otherwise you'll risk cooking the soft parts.

The glitch you mentioned isn't too big of an issue as all it serves to do is raise line pressure... which overcomes governor pressure. It might get tricky around some quick snap throttle events when you're looking for a downshift... but let me put some thought into it for you. Feel free to shoot me some p.m.'s and we can kick it around more.

Last edited by Heads-Up-Outlaw; 08-03-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:14 PM

im going to call the guys at bowtie trannys and see what they think, they should be able to give some good input.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:24 AM
Teching In

Im currently basically in a very similar situation. Curious what solution you came up with for this? If any. I too was thinking of the same thing as far as using the pedal.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

any update
Old 02-01-2018, 08:26 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Sorry I missed the original post, but I wanted to say that converting to DBC (Drive by Cable with a manual throttle body) is not an option because the GM LS3 ECM absolutely does not support that.

Switching to a 4L60E seems like the obvious and best solution. Kludging up a cable to the pedal seems likely to go badly and ruin the 700R4 at which point you will be back to installing a 4L60E.

Quick Reply: 86 vet e rod ls with 700r4 throt by wire?