Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger + LT1 w. HotCam?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Procharger + LT1 w. HotCam?

I came across a 8psi Procharger P-1SC kit for my LT1. With my mods in the sig and the procharger, where do you think I'll be power wise? And do you think $3,000 for the whole kit with very very little miles is a good deal?

Also, what supporting mods are required and which are recommended? I figured a tune would be required, and I'm guessing fuel pump and bigger injectors, right?

Stock bottom end I imagine would be okay at 8psi or no?

Thanks guys!
Old 08-03-2011, 01:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

3 grand seems like a good deal for the kit especially with it having low miles. You will need to upgrade your fuel system including pump and injectors so your already in the right direction as far as thats concerned. Of you will need a tune as well. And I would take it easy on the boost with the stock bottom in that thing, maybe 6 lbs. or so should get you in the 400's no problem.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The hotcam should work well with boost too since it doesnt have much if any overlap.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1quickTransAm

Thanks guys!
NO. There's a 99% chance you would be better off putting a grenade in the intake.

Now, if you get some big chamber heads and drop the compression, and run it on good fuel, and TUNE IT PERFECT. Then yes it could live and make some good power.

But I absolutely would not do it on stock compression.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How many miles are on it?

It can be done on the stock bottom but you will need to run 110 at the track or for any kind of spirtited driving where heat soak can occur. LTX's hate heat soak, and s/c motors hate heat soak even more and are 10x more prone to it than a N/A motor.

Ask Bob how it's done, he has a stock bottom end LTx with a procharger on it with a braked TH400 that run's 10's with the stock cam. Granted it has like 7k on the whole car, it can be done, and he has the stock optispark.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:47 AM
10 Second Club

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Brute-Spe...ed-Formula.htm

read and learn young padowan
Old 08-03-2011, 02:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06

I dont need to read and learn a damn thing. I know the brute speed car well. What you have to realize is that is a very low mile car, and it is assembled and managed by very competent folks.

It's tuned by Ed Wright and I'm sure the tune is perfect.

That is the 1% I mentioned. You let the average person throw a procharger kit on a 100K mile LT1, put in normal pump fuel and run a half *** tune, then start beating it on the street. It's not going to last very long.

Nor would the brute speed car under the same circumstances. Why would you want something that is a ticking time bomb?

If you do, more power to you. Boost away.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:15 AM
Banned

Im also a strong believer that it can be done.I had a p600b 114k miles on car when installed 8psi of boost bone stock internals 60lb injectors single 255 intake,and tune on cali's 91oc... With no issues drove the car for 2-3 years light wot a few freeway runs and heavy donuts/light to light pulls.definently can be done....TUNE IS KEY...Do alot of research dont let a few guide you in the wrong direction..My rule of thump is you either have to have a shop or self experience/sig before I take anybodies reply serious!!!

OH IF YOU HAVE EXTRA $$ INVEST IN A METH KIT

Last edited by LTXBOI; 08-03-2011 at 03:21 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gregrob
I dont need to read and learn a damn thing. I know the brute speed car well. What you have to realize is that is a very low mile car, and it is assembled and managed by very competent folks.

That is the 1% I mentioned. You let the average person throw a procharger kit on a 100K mile LT1, put in normal pump fuel and run a half *** tune, then start beating it on the street. It's not going to last very long.

Nor would the brute speed car under the same circumstances. Why would you want something that is a ticking time bomb?

THIS IS WHAT OP ASKED-

I came across a 8psi Procharger P-1SC kit for my LT1. With my mods in the sig and the procharger, where do you think I'll be power wise? And do you think $3,000 for the whole kit with very very little miles is a good deal?

Also, what supporting mods are required and which are recommended? I figured a tune would be required, and I'm guessing fuel pump and bigger injectors, right?

I SURE HOPE HE DOESN'T PAY FOR A HALF *** TUNE
Old 08-03-2011, 10:38 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gregrob

Did you read my first post? I was showing him if he carefully took his time with the tune and set-up it can be done....

And I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to the OP, but since you took it that way, oh well, spilled milk to me.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:00 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've been involved with a lot of LT1 ProCharger installs over the last ten years, and 8 psi with a good tune is generally very reliable. Mileage on the engine usually isn't a concern as long as the engine is healthy.
To the OP, you are correct. Fuel pump and larger injectors and a tune are required. 42lb injectors will work just fine for you. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-07-2011, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks to everyone who replied. Sorry the little brawl started

Reliability is very important to me, and I am willing to trade some power for it. I do waaaaaaaaaay more fun driving on the street than wheel to wheel racing so I am just looking to have fun. So to the point about I would need to run 110 at the track and spirited driving, this set-up needs to work for "very spirited" runs on the street on 93 octane pump gas. Whatever it takes to do that is what I'll need to build.

The motor is very healthy and has 100,00 miles on it. The bottom end will be rebuilt at some point, but I wasn't sure if 8psi put me in the league of "you really need to do it first" or "8psi will be fine but build it up if you want more". It sounds like 8psi is possible with the stock bottom end and while I doubt that I am better off putting a grenade in my intake it does sound like it might be rolling the dice especially based on the tune. I have no idea who would tune it yet, but I will certainly make sure that it is done by a competent person.

And for my dumb question - what happens when the stock bottom end goes on boost? I know I've seen pics of the fried and broken pistons. Would the rebuild be the same as what it would be if I were to build it up now, or do the costs become greater? That is a newbie question I know. FI is new to me.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1quickTransAm
Thanks to everyone who replied. Sorry the little brawl started

Reliability is very important to me, and I am willing to trade some power for it. I do waaaaaaaaaay more fun driving on the street than wheel to wheel racing so I am just looking to have fun. So to the point about I would need to run 110 at the track and spirited driving, this set-up needs to work for "very spirited" runs on the street on 93 octane pump gas. Whatever it takes to do that is what I'll need to build.

The motor is very healthy and has 100,00 miles on it. The bottom end will be rebuilt at some point, but I wasn't sure if 8psi put me in the league of "you really need to do it first" or "8psi will be fine but build it up if you want more". It sounds like 8psi is possible with the stock bottom end and while I doubt that I am better off putting a grenade in my intake it does sound like it might be rolling the dice especially based on the tune. I have no idea who would tune it yet, but I will certainly make sure that it is done by a competent person.

And for my dumb question - what happens when the stock bottom end goes on boost? I know I've seen pics of the fried and broken pistons. Would the rebuild be the same as what it would be if I were to build it up now, or do the costs become greater? That is a newbie question I know. FI is new to me.
Brawl? What brawl?

As long as a rod doesn't go through the block then the re-build would comprise the same as any normal rebuild. Depending on how bad the cylinders were scorched, gouged, valves hitting pistons, detonation melting pistons etc. it would be a normal re-build.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The thing that really hurts these engines in when you suspect you have a problem, but keep driving it. Years ago a customer drove from Kansas City to the old shop because he had an engine miss. That engine miss was caused by a spark plug that had it's electrode smashed shut by a piece of the piston which had cracked. Somewhere along the line the piston smashed this broken off piece into the block and cracked it. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-09-2011, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

8psi on a great tune will be ok as long as you have enough fuel to support it. From what i've read, most usually start to crack the piston ringlands (especially #7 for whatever reason), so I'm always monitoring my scanmaster for KR. Biggest enemy is detonation, run an FMIC or meth injection to cool down those intake temps.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...-going-485734/

Just an interesting read.

Quick Reply: Procharger + LT1 w. HotCam?