Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1984 chevy pick up dual tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 chevy pick up dual tank

so i am in the pickle of trying to negotiate prices and to publicly do it is impossible with out threads. so i am here to say i am doing an 84 chevy pickup conversion with a 5.3/6.0 out of a 99 1500/2500 with a 99 4L60E 4x4 trans behind it as a DD. i am hoping to have this conversion completed very soon. i have dual tanks so dual tank guys stay with me as i will be letting you know how to do this swap as cheap and reliable as possible. any parts that might be of help (motor mount adapters, wiring harness, and computer) will be nice if you have one. shoot me pm and price. thanks ya'll.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=doubeys_nova;15230991]so i am in the pickle of trying to negotiate prices and to publicly do it is impossible with out threads. so i am here to say i am doing an 84 chevy pickup conversion with a 5.3/6.0 out of a 99 1500/2500 with a 99 4L60E 4x4 trans behind it as a DD. i am hoping to have this conversion completed very soon. i have dual tanks so dual tank guys stay with me as i will be letting you know how to do this swap as cheap and reliable as possible. any parts that might be of help (motor mount adapters, wiring harness, and computer) will be nice if you have one. shoot me pm and price. thanks ya'll.[/QUOTE

What transfer case are you using?
Old 08-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Teching In

i am hoping to use the stock transfer case as long as the output shaft is the same spline/diameter. if not a guy down the road from me will let me try an extra one he has and i also have a 2 speed push button from a blazer for emergency backup. i am not sure model if that was your question though.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:21 PM
Launching!

why dont you just use an inline pump it would be much easier
Old 08-04-2011, 06:56 AM
Teching In

i am trying to figure all that out. the high pressure tank selector switch is wicked expensive so i am probably going to pull right after the switch. so the system would basically have the switch, then pump, pressure tank, then filter/regulator, but i accidentally junked my pressure tank. so now i have to find another one.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because my pickup is an '83 Chevy c-10 with dual tanks, I've given this some thought. Here's my method: dual in-tank TBI pumps, through external filters, into bypass regulators, then to the switcher, then into the high pressure pump, then into the fuel rails. But my return-style rails have the pressure regulator.
Maybe not the cheapest, but certainly safe and no worries.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Teching In

i have both style intakes. i am probably going to go without the regulator there. still trying to decide whether to go 4.8L or 6.0L. my brother has put a lot of time into trying to figure out the cheapest and most effective way to do the fuel system. in a couple weeks i will have one completed so pictures will be coming to show how it was done. i made my bed removable to help with doing the fuel system and any repairs/mods that come later on down the road. hope to have the setup in soon so ya'll can get an idea from it though.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Go and check out the LS swap section on http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=206

Lots of great info and if you give me an email address I have a complete pdf file of all the parts required for the swap.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:55 AM
Teching In

me and my brother found this site. tons of info. hopefully picking up parts next week. gonna clean the frame and stuff up and probably paint can it. gonna keep this as low budget as possible.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Teching In

i am pulling the motor whenever i get spare time. then i am going to work on getting it set in. i have a 99 4.8L with a 05 intake and fuel rail so i can put an inline regulator in to keep the amount of fuel line to a minimum. the 05 intake has a discharge tube where the 99 tb has one. so i am keeping it in the intake and filling the one on the tb. single or dual pumps is still kicking me in the nuts. i am against the dual pumps completely but i need to research and see it the low pressure setup can handle the flow rate of a high pressure pump. i dont see why it wount be able to. saved the pressure tank out of a 99 parts truck. i want to integrate that into the fuel system to keep it as simple as possible. hopefully i can start getting parts.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Teching In

so military 6.5L turbodiesels have a low pressure pump that feed the high pressure pump to keep constant fuel supply... i might try running a low pressure high volume holley blue pump into a pressure tank and then a high pressure high volume pump into a regulator(regulate the fuel back into the pressure tank) and then a single line to the fuel rail... anyone think this would not work?(i already have the blue pump so that is a no cost item for me) any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Teching In

dropping a tank and going single tank for now. ordered engine adapter mounts. as long as nothing comes up i will be ordering a wiring harness and getting a np241, or 231 cant ever seem to remember, soon. then driveshafts and a tbi pickup with walbro 255 and vette filter regulator. i should be fine running -6 AN fittings and line.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

I'm doing this same thing, and the hardest part is the fuel system; I'll agree there.

While two pumps might seem like a waste, I figure you're better off in the longrun.

I'm be running two walbro pumps, one in either tank. Using plain old rubber high pressure fuel hose to connect to tank switching valve. Not far from tank switching valve is the corvette regulator, and a single feed line up to the engine. While the initial cost is higher for two pumps and high pressure switching valve, you're saving in the longrun. Internal pumps are quiet, and as, if not, more reliable than external. While they may be a pain in the *** to change, you shouldn't have to do that often, so long as you have a proper sock fitted to the intake of the pump. Having two pumps improves reliability. If you loose one, you still have the other, which could get you out of a pinch. You could carry a spare external pump if you ran one that way, but you still have the noise to deal with.
Tbi pickups like you stated, are made for low pressure pumps, and its a simple matter of swapping low pressure for high pressure pumps.

This is would be much easier than running two low pressure, then high pressure pump setup. If a low pressure pump quits, you still have to drop the tank and replace it, since the high pressure pump will have to work very hard to suck fuel from the dead pump tank. I will have mine done in the new year, and will post pictures when I'm finished.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Just run an inline pump like the Walbo 255 and put the tank Selector on the feed side of the pump.. the the pump can feed in the corvette filter for the return.. this is what we are doing and it works good..
Old 01-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Teching In

that is what i did. engine isnt running yet. pictures are at the following link- http://www.centralstreetscene.org/fo...ad.php?t=63061

there are some pictures and updates to what i have done so far. this is a local site for me. not as many people do daily bumps and overwhelm the forums like this site. i will check this site regularly for input and possibly try to transfer all that here and update both at the same time. i ran one external pump which is not loud at all. the returning fuel going in the tank is pretty noisy though. lol. once it is running and exhaust is installed i really doubt if i hear it at all.

i ordered a harness from ssp wiring a month ago and still sitting waiting on them. i explain a little more on that link with links and pictures. i am going to check the reliability of the external pump and next year if it hasnt went bad i will run just one inline pump and pull fuel from either tank.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Teching In

i got some more pictures up yesterday. i got the fan shroud in. still waiting on the harness. seems to be a common problem with ssp from what i have heard.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Old 01-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Teching In

finally got a response from ssp. they are testing and then i would imagine it will get shipped.

i am going to start working on getting the seat brackets made later today. i will post pictures of everything as the process is going on. i dont think there is a very clear breakdown on how to put the 99+ seats in 73-87 trucks. i will try to clear it up a bit. i know there are dimensions and what not but still not a real breakdown like there is for other stuff.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

Looks good so far. I will be completing my 5.3 swap this coming weekend. Current build thread going on I haven't touched in a while, but I will upload some info when its complete. Might see some help there. I to, will be driving mine daily.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:13 PM
Teching In

shipped friday. will hopefully get it running by the first week of february.

Quick Reply: 1984 chevy pick up dual tank