Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My Last Spohn Perfomance Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Last Spohn Perfomance Purchase

Well Long story kinda short- I ordered a set of Spohn/Qa1 coilovers for my 2001 Trans Am. Installed them and everything looked great and worked perfect. After about 1500 or so miles of driving…SNAP goes the lower mounting bolt. Coilover falls to the pavement, tire goes into the fender well and I’m stuck on the side of I-35 Left with a screwed up tire and a $300 tow bill. Not to mention when the coilover fell it ran up against my sway bar screwing all the threads up on the body of the QA1 shock. So I called Spohn who makes this coilover conversion and told them my problem. The problem with this system is the bolt they are using as a stud on the lower bracket needs to be tacked in place in order to tighten up. Well instead of just a tack they put to heavy welds on either side of the head of the Grade 8 bolt. What happens to a grade 8 bolt when you do that….makes them brittle and loose there temper. I was nice and wasn’t worried about trying to get money for a tow bill or tire just wanted my coilover shock replaced. I cut the broken bolt out and installed a new grade 8 bolt and lightly tacked it in place enough to hold until I tightened the nut down to fix it. I called Spohn and talked to a lady who said she could help me with the problem I was having. Told her the problem and all she could tell me is “well we don’t offer any kind of warranty on our products” –NICE. She said “We have been selling that coilover kit for years with no problems” –of course that’s always my luck. I told her my car had a Moser 9 inch rearend. Suddenly she had something to blame it on. “Something seems like there is something going on with your rear end, even if it is a factory replacement, they are not always up to factory specs.” –ok everything was just fine with my factory coils and shocks on my car and no geometry of the rear axle has been changed so you going to have to find another excuse. I explained to her what the deal was with the bolts and she understood but didn’t want Spohn to take fault on the situation. The conversation ended with her telling me I could order just the shock part of the coilover kit and fix my problem. Well that’s just great $550.00 coilovers and I have to buy another one. This will be my final purchase with Spohn and hope this helps others with making decisions on what coilover brand they put on their car. Qa1 is a great shock and have no problem with them, only Spohn who made these brackets and plates to put in a F-body. Pics don’t lie so enjoy!!! If they feel like taking care of this problem shoot me a PM for a phone Number.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm sorry this happened to you, it really sucks....

Unfortunately what happened here is the reason that actual coil over shocks aren't a good idea in the rear of this car. With the spring on the shock, all the weight of the car is supported by the shock and the one bolt holding it on. It wasn't designed that way, and 700-800 pounds of weight on each is a lot, let alone when it's getting pounded up and down driving down the road.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-04-2011, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Yeah and now i dont know what im going to do. I have those plates mig welded up in the upper spring pocket that would have to be removed before i could go back to a shock and coil setup. They are welded in really good and there is nearly no room to work to grind the welds out. Im probably going to weld the lower brackets to the rearend housing which would be better than just a bolt stuck in them for now.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I think that welding the lowers would be best. And PLEASE buy the best bolts you can for the mounts.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I think that welding the lowers would be best. And PLEASE buy the best bolts you can for the mounts.
Agreed. If you notice all places a coil over works are double shear (like the one that is through the shock itself in the picture) or a tension arrangement (like the upper mount on the fronts).

What you had is simply the failure of a poor design. Just make sure someone who can actually weld properly does the work for you - this is your suspension.

Good luck.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Agreed. If you notice all places a coil over works are double shear (like the one that is through the shock itself in the picture) or a tension arrangement (like the upper mount on the fronts).

What you had is simply the failure of a poor design. Just make sure someone who can actually weld properly does the work for you - this is your suspension.

Good luck.
Just got the lower brackets all welded up, I have a nice mig welder and have been welding for about 15 years so im not worried about my welds. Should have done this when i installed them, then again i should not have even bought them and went with something else.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

I'm sorry about what happened dude. I have heard nothing but bad things about spohn parts
Old 08-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Coal Mining Director

I wouldn't quit asking for help until Steve Spohn told me no personally.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Launching!

I havent had any problems with mine but it dosnt see many miles. I am going to have to keep a eye on mine going forward.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No quarter panel damage occured? The tire didnt contact the quarter? If so your lucky. Regardless Spohn should send you a replacement. Their part failed because it was a poorly designed mount.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

these are exactly the issues why i have not and will never buy a spohn suspension part (or anything from them in general)
Old 08-06-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just deleted their link in my favorites bar. I hope the will help you out even a little. I can't believe ALL the weight is on one tiny bolt like that. I think everyone needed to weld them like you did. Maybe the fabricators who make rears could add it as an option if they knew about it.

Hope you get everything fixed and running well .
Old 08-06-2011, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Damn. Thats sucks. Really nice looking car though
Old 08-07-2011, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

no quarter damage thank god. Just got the tire into the inner quarter lip, if i would have rolled them i woulded have any tire damage right now...but i was never planning on my suspension breaking and falling to the ground.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

That sucks, I was planning on buying that kit but no way now.

Quick Reply: My Last Spohn Perfomance Purchase