Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Few bolton on 99 Trans Am Vs Legacy Gt

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Few bolton on 99 Trans Am Vs Legacy Gt

So my buddy who has a 2005 Legacy Gt wants to race my 99 trans am. He is a full blown GM hater and talks smack about my car every chance he gets. My car has LT's, catback, and a Lid (its also an M6) His car is a 5spd with a on the fly programer, exhaust, and is running about 20psi. I've riden and drove in his car and it seems like it will in no way keep up with my car. He says he only wants to race from 0-60 or 20-80..wtf? He cant launch his car very well and I belive I will still rip him out of the hole. Any thoughts on this?? Im gonna do my best to get this race video taped. I have a feeling he's gonna back out anyway, but nothing makes me feel better than shutting someone up. Im not one to argue to with someone when it comes to whos car is faster, Everytime he tells me his car is making 430awhp I have to just smile and nod.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dyno-gues...ing-forum-150/
Old 08-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Whoops this needs to be switched to that thread.....
Old 08-05-2011, 11:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SnakeEaterTA
So my buddy who has a 2005 Legacy Gt wants to race my 99 trans am. He is a full blown GM hater and talks smack about my car every chance he gets. My car has LT's, catback, and a Lid (its also an M6) His car is a 5spd with a on the fly programer, exhaust, and is running about 20psi. I've riden and drove in his car and it seems like it will in no way keep up with my car. He says he only wants to race from 0-60 or 20-80..wtf? He cant launch his car very well and I belive I will still rip him out of the hole. Any thoughts on this?? Im gonna do my best to get this race video taped. I have a feeling he's gonna back out anyway, but nothing makes me feel better than shutting someone up. Im not one to argue to with someone when it comes to whos car is faster, Everytime he tells me his car is making 430awhp I have to just smile and nod.
Tell him to stop being a ****** ricer and race you, a "passing gear" demonstration isn't a race.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Damn, just whoop his *** already!
Old 08-05-2011, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not cool of your buddy to trash talk like that.

I've owned both.. I owned a 2005 legacy GT 5EAT for 4 years and put 80k miles of abuse on the clock. It's a tough car with a lot to go on, subaru has my respect (except the new ones that look like toyota vomited into a blender with honda..)

Sounds like racing on his terms is an excuse for him to "beat" you. One thing he may not realize is that cars like ours can't really race to 60 beacuse it comes too fast.

if he's a stage 2 (sounds like he's "stage 2" with UP, DP, custom tune and a turbo back) he could be in the 300-370HP range at the ENGINE.. iirc subarus see about 25% loss in the 5MT. They're pretty lossy powertrain wise cos.. well they've got so much powertrain to go to heh, but that doesn't mean they're slow..

at 80 he's cruising 3k rpm so he's running at boost at 80 and can EASILY go without downshifting. 0-60 he's gonna be slow until he hits 3k, but he'll PROBABLY launch it if he's not afraid of breaking his diffs..

I agree.. if he wants to race do an ACTUAL race.. these terms are too weird.

btw.. if he has an aftermarket IC he COULD be running higher numbers, but I think to REALLY put 430 to the wheels he'd need a bigger turbo, FMIC (or a bigger TMIC) if he's got a stock IC he's gonna blow his end tanks before he puts that kinda power to the ground.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Teching In

My vote says it wont even be close.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DarkFox118
Not cool of your buddy to trash talk like that.

I've owned both.. I owned a 2005 legacy GT 5EAT for 4 years and put 80k miles of abuse on the clock. It's a tough car with a lot to go on, subaru has my respect (except the new ones that look like toyota vomited into a blender with honda..)

Sounds like racing on his terms is an excuse for him to "beat" you. One thing he may not realize is that cars like ours can't really race to 60 beacuse it comes too fast.

if he's a stage 2 (sounds like he's "stage 2" with UP, DP, custom tune and a turbo back) he could be in the 300-370HP range at the ENGINE.. iirc subarus see about 25% loss in the 5MT. They're pretty lossy powertrain wise cos.. well they've got so much powertrain to go to heh, but that doesn't mean they're slow..

at 80 he's cruising 3k rpm so he's running at boost at 80 and can EASILY go without downshifting. 0-60 he's gonna be slow until he hits 3k, but he'll PROBABLY launch it if he's not afraid of breaking his diffs..

I agree.. if he wants to race do an ACTUAL race.. these terms are too weird.

btw.. if he has an aftermarket IC he COULD be running higher numbers, but I think to REALLY put 430 to the wheels he'd need a bigger turbo, FMIC (or a bigger TMIC) if he's got a stock IC he's gonna blow his end tanks before he puts that kinda power to the ground.
One major thing I forgot to add is that he has a Brian Nickels Turbo (not sure the specs on it) but apparently he's the mack daddy of all suburu turbos builders. And also forgot to mention the kid who owns the Legacy weighs in at 430pounds. I myself weighs about 160-165. Im good friends with this kid he's a great guy and really funny to be around, but his arrogance towards GM and Suburu overwhelm me somtimes.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow, big dude! How tall is he?

If he's got an aftermarket turbo he could be up there! The 05 LGT had the same shortblock as the STI. They weigh in about 3800 iirc? Stock 0-60 is high 5s low 6s so they're no slouch even there for a stock car.

Still, if he doesn't have an aftermarket IC, he's risking blowing his end tanks. The stocker is top mounted and has plastic end tanks that are sort of sandwiched onto it.

If he wants to race turbo to turbo.. you could give the guys at modular turbo a call. They'vew got a front mount single for $500! Then see who's talking.

Subaru's a great car with a great engine. He's probably got a sweet ride. Hell, give em a straight up run in a 1/4 or something. A friend of mine has a 5MT LGT. He once ran a stock ford lightining. Said he was able to hold his own till about 60 then the truck started pulling on him, this was stock to "stage 1" though.

If this guy's got an aftermarket turbo and custom tune he's way beyond "stage 2" heh.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Oh boy well maybe this will be an exciting race.... Maybe I should give him a heads up on getting a front mount for that thing. It feels like a slouch when I rode in it and even drove it. But that was before he put the exhaust on. It would'nt really build boost tell after 3k. I'll try to get this thing recorded.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:05 PM

I Used to have a Legacy GT as a daily a few years back. Nice cars for the winter, but as expected they have no top end due to the awd. Race him from both a roll and dig, I'm curious to see the results... Are you taking the video tonight?
Old 08-05-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea man I wanna see a video of this.

I love LGTs. I never raced mine.. just drove it like I stole it all the time.

well the stock turbo spools at about 3k. If he's got an aftermarket turbo, like one more like the wrx or the forrester XT they spool a lot more suddenly, so you'll have it as a complete slouch until it reaches spool.. then.. hold on.

They're REAL sensitive to heat too. in a summer they're a DOG. In the winter.. much better.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

I can tell you those cars CAN be relatively fast. I found one waiting next to my car at the grocery store. Really dark windows so I couldn't even tell anyone was in it but when I left they followed me and lined up beside me on the road. Being cocky, stupid and overconfident, I allowed this to occur from 40 mph (stock-stall A4--40 roll=don't do this) and that car walked right by me. It was a good car length ahead before I started to gain back some of the distance, approaching 90 mph. Sure I would have passed it eventually but this was not a safe location for such speeds and I had to end it.

Again, very dark windows on that car; couldn't see in, so I just have to hope there's not a video out there of me getting my *** handed to me by that car. What I could tell about that car is it had very loud, upgraded turbos, so I would assume they can be modded similarly to the Impreza WRX cars.

I wouldn't underestimate it, but I'd guess the other guy would eat up 30 or 40 extra horses with his weight if he's as fat as you say.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Regular

On the stock turbo at 20psi, he isn't even making 300whp.
It most likely is making 275 or less if he's on the stock turbo.
Race him and get it on video.

Quick Reply: Few bolton on 99 Trans Am Vs Legacy Gt