LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 ECM Programming Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LT1 ECM Programming Problems

Has anyone experienced issues with corrupt data taking out an OBD1 ECM? We managed to corrupt two ECM's after each successfully took 5 to 6 updates before crapping out. The battery had plenty of charge, no disruptions made during the flash, and TunerCATS showed a successful data flash in all cases. Was surprised to find that I was left a car that wouldn't start & fans that kick on immediately after you turn the ignition on. No rhyme or reason that we could find causing the issue. Has anyone experienced this in the past, or have any idea's where to look?? Is it possible to program the chip external from the ECM?? I had a TPI car, that I could flash the chip separate from the ECM...not sure if there is away to do that for an OBD1 computer from a 94 to 97 LT1 car. Can a corrupt ECM be salvaged?? Replacing ECM's is getting expensive. Nothing like getting twice on the dyno today..... Any help you can pass along would be appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old 08-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't there an ecm recovery option in the software?
Old 08-07-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JL_94z28
Has anyone experienced issues with corrupt data taking out an OBD1 ECM? We managed to corrupt two ECM's after each successfully took 5 to 6 updates before crapping out. The battery had plenty of charge, no disruptions made during the flash, and TunerCATS showed a successful data flash in all cases. Was surprised to find that I was left a car that wouldn't start & fans that kick on immediately after you turn the ignition on. No rhyme or reason that we could find causing the issue. Has anyone experienced this in the past, or have any idea's where to look?? Is it possible to program the chip external from the ECM?? I had a TPI car, that I could flash the chip separate from the ECM...not sure if there is away to do that for an OBD1 computer from a 94 to 97 LT1 car. Can a corrupt ECM be salvaged?? Replacing ECM's is getting expensive. Nothing like getting twice on the dyno today..... Any help you can pass along would be appreciated. Thanks!!!
The problem lies with why do you have corrupt data? I have flashed my PCM over 100+ times tuning my car over the past 10+ years with ZERO flashing issues. Check all your grounds, make sure your battery (car) is good and laptop is on A/C power and all Virus programs and power mgmt programs are turned off. Where are you getting your .BIN files from? Mail order?
Old 08-07-2011, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

My .bin files are created by a friend who dyno tunes professionally. I completely trust those. I started tearing into the factory wire harness yesterday, focusing on ground feeds to the PCM. Is there a recovery file or a way to salvage a PCM? Is there a way to program the EEProm out of the car like in the older gen's?
Old 08-08-2011, 02:42 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got spare pcm with a tune already on it, u can have it for 50 bucks shipped
Old 08-08-2011, 06:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

My .bin files are created by a friend who dyno tunes professionally. I completely trust those. I started tearing into the factory wire harness yesterday, focusing on ground feeds to the PCM. Is there a recovery file or a way to salvage a PCM? Is there a way to program the EEProm out of the car like in the older gen's?
I don't think so, unless you have a spare harness lying around and could create a bench testing/flashing environment. The PCM is not EProm based and you cannot remove the chip for burning. I would look into the BIN file to make sure it's not the problem as there has been reports in the past from other members about a corrupted .BIN taking out the PCM.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most mail-order tuners can repair fried PCMs. I know Ion can - happened to me once.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with the above. Ion can resocket fried PCM's and there good as new.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MEAN LT1
I agree with the above. Ion can resocket fried PCM's and there good as new.
True - however unless the root cause of the "corruption" is found - corrupted .bins, grounding issues, etc... then I would not spend one dime getting a PCM resocketed as it will likely just happen again.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

you might need the "b" version of the $EE definition file? i only noticed 2 parts on the contstant table swapped around which was the giveaway for which version was needed. could be way off base but maybe that has been causing the problem.

i just recently made my own harness to run out of the car but for now it still requires me to connect it directly to the battery because i do not have a power supply yet to support it. if you are gettin less than 12.5v on all power connections to the PCM then you might be experiencing the intermittent tuning issues i have been having.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

TunerCATS said they could salvage a smoked PCM for $25.00 - thought that seemed like a decent deal. My OBD1 PCM has 4 plugs with a total of 64 pins populated & the PCM wiring diagram I have shows 6 of those to be grounding pins. I assume those 6 pins should read 0 ohm resistance in a continuity test when grounded to the chassis correct? Thanks to everyone who has posted here! This is such a great site!!!
Old 12-30-2015, 11:11 AM
Launching!

Resurrecting this question since I'll be diagnosing my PCM soon. :/

TunerCATS said they could salvage a smoked PCM for $25.00 - thought that seemed like a decent deal. My OBD1 PCM has 4 plugs with a total of 64 pins populated & the PCM wiring diagram I have shows 6 of those to be grounding pins. I assume those 6 pins should read 0 ohm resistance in a continuity test when grounded to the chassis correct? Thanks to everyone who has posted here! This is such a great site!!!

Quick Reply: LT1 ECM Programming Problems