Sponsored by:

ws6 Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ws6 Question

Hi guys,
I have a WS6 firebird an i was wondering if there are any benefits to upgrading the stock air intake assembly. It would be classified as a CAI kit right? Ive been mostly focusing on exhaust upgrades, since i assumed my stock ram air was already "free flowing." I see alot of people on the board have aftermarker lids or CAI kits, but most of them seem to be z28s or non-ws6 cars.
If i wouldnt really see any rwhp gains from modifying the ram air intake, what could be improved on the intake side of the engine (aside from throttle body and maf -- ive heard these mods dont do much of anything)

thanks,
Kyle
Old 03-03-2004, 12:09 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On an otherwise stock WS6, the lid is the only thing worth upgrading, intake wise.

Throttle body will pick you up a few rwhp, and a 01-02 "LS6" intake (if you have a 98-00) will also pick you up a few hp.

The lid just eliminates the silencers and baffles of the stock airbox (take it off and have a look, it's a mess) ... smoothes out the airflow, etc etc. That should generally be your first mod (it's cheap too).
Old 03-03-2004, 12:10 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

go read the sticky in the external forum.

in short BGRM is what you want.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lid and seal the airbox is all you need. BGRM or do it yourself. Just don't do the free ram air. You have a WS6, use the nostrals.

I did the TSP clear lid, Holly powershot (because the K&N fits like crap)

Also debaffle the hood. Painted the inside of the nostrals satin black and put velcro where I can pop in the baffles when it rains hard. Also sealed between the hood and box with that thick black weather sealing tap you find at Loews. Works great. Not as refined as BGRM but cheaper.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dal1as
Lid and seal the airbox is all you need. BGRM or do it yourself. Just don't do the free ram air. You have a WS6, use the nostrals.

I did the TSP clear lid, Holly powershot (because the K&N fits like crap)

Also debaffle the hood. Painted the inside of the nostrals satin black and put velcro where I can pop in the baffles when it rains hard. Also sealed between the hood and box with that thick black weather sealing tap you find at Loews. Works great. Not as refined as BGRM but cheaper.

Hope that helps.
How did you paint the inside of the nostrils? Any tips? btw, love the velcro idea gonna do that today.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99ws6m6
How did you paint the inside of the nostrils? Any tips? btw, love the velcro idea gonna do that today.
I bought some outdoor satin black paint and a smallish 1 or 2 inch wide paint brush. Took off the nostril grills and went to town. Just be careful not to get any paint on the outside. I just painted the areas where you can see. Mainly the bottem part of the compartment, the top, and the back towards the airbox.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:09 AM
Staging Lane

Okay.... sealing the airbox i understand.

But y'all are still saying i could use a new lid for the airbox..... i thought the lid is what goes on TOP of the air filter on cars w/o ram air. If you covered up the top of the filter, wouldnt that kill the whole point of ram air? Or am I missing something here??
Old 03-04-2004, 02:44 AM
Staging Lane

ahh..... i think i understand the problem..... I have an LT1.. i though the LS1 used the same design for the ram air assembly ... from what i can see in the pictures i found it looks like the ls1 sucks air from the bottom of the filter.. is that correct?

No wonder i could never figure out what a better lid does.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:31 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the LS1 ram-air uses a completely different system then the LT1 did. The LT1 WS6 had an exposed filter and the air was sucked down into it .... the ls1 has a box, where the air enters at the bottom and is sucked up through the filter, into the lid, etc.