Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

100W HID kits (no 56k)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 12:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 100W HID kits (no 56k)

Has anybody here tried the 100W eBay HID kits before?
Also, NO ARGUING ABOUT HID IN HALOGEN HOUSINGS VS. PROJECTOR HOUSINGS.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

holy smokes 100w
Old 08-08-2011, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not doubting the bulbs or kits, but I can't buy something from someone who doesn't have good grammar.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Holy crap those things would be bright.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00FlowCamaro
I'm not doubting the bulbs or kits, but I can't buy something from someone who doesn't have good grammar.
I see this grammer issue from alot of dealers in Asia...I buy all my LED lights for my hosue from them and all I can say is WOW....products are great though, no complaints
Old 08-08-2011, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Damn, that's awesome. I might be upgrading my lights here soon now.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

Only thing I am concerned about would be the heat output and the effects of that on the plastic that GM used in the headlamp area on both Firebirds and especially Camaros. I have the BLS kit which uses Hella 60mm projectors that have metal housings, but the kit uses this flimsy cheap thermoformed plastic lens to "protect" the projector lens (all it's done is scratch mine up).
Old 08-08-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well hopefully on your firebird youll be using the lmc housings which are all metal and glass, im running them with mine and they were completly worth it. if your worried about the black plastic that surrounds the lights, i wouldnt worry too much, iirc there is an air gap between housings and plastic, that would be plenty for heat disapation.. now its a whole other story for camaro drivers, plastic lens would have issues imo.

i wonder if those are actually 100 watts... if a 50 watt bulb is 5000 lumens, that would be a 10,000 lumen bulb, times 2... geez that would be bright...
Old 08-08-2011, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by t/a98
well hopefully on your firebird youll be using the lmc housings which are all metal and glass, im running them with mine and they were completly worth it. if your worried about the black plastic that surrounds the lights, i wouldnt worry too much, iirc there is an air gap between housings and plastic, that would be plenty for heat disapation.. now its a whole other story for camaro drivers, plastic lens would have issues imo.

i wonder if those are actually 100 watts... if a 50 watt bulb is 5000 lumens, that would be a 10,000 lumen bulb, times 2... geez that would be bright...
I already posted that I have the BLS kit (which are projectors made out of metal and glass), and the "50w=5000, therefore 100w=10000" logic isn't exactly true. Although, that is what they advertise. The only way to truly verify would be with a light meter on each kind of housing setup.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Holy screenshot batman

Lee, isn't 100w insanely bright for an automotive application?
Old 08-08-2011, 03:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
Holy screenshot batman

Lee, isn't 100w insanely bright for an automotive application?

The projectors I have will help with excess glare, but yes it is a lot of excess light for on-road application. Off-road these would be awesome for trails at night, assuming they are what they claim to be.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good lawd! I might have to try those!
Old 08-08-2011, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZexGX
The projectors I have will help with excess glare, but yes it is a lot of excess light for on-road application. Off-road these would be awesome for trails at night, assuming they are what they claim to be.
that would be nice to run the normal ones on the low beams then run these on the high beam for when you are all alone out in the middle of no-where
Old 08-08-2011, 04:16 PM
FormerVendor

I would be concerned with the heat output and the bowl getting burned within the projector. It certainly wouldn't melt but the bowl coated may burn away/oxidize killing your effective light output. A sealed unit like the 60mm Hellas may make things worse with no air flow to cool things down.

As far as melting the cover lens, they likely would survive since the thermoforming temp is above the heat produced by the 100w HID. I would need to do some testing to confirm but we would likely not offer this option due to the inherent risks.

What are you cleaning your lenses with? They shouldn't scratch if you are using a good microfiber towel and generic windex or glass cleaner.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLSolutions
I would be concerned with the heat output and the bowl getting burned within the projector. It certainly wouldn't melt but the bowl coated may burn away/oxidize killing your effective light output. A sealed unit like the 60mm Hellas may make things worse with no air flow to cool things down.

As far as melting the cover lens, they likely would survive since the thermoforming temp is above the heat produced by the 100w HID. I would need to do some testing to confirm but we would likely not offer this option due to the inherent risks.

What are you cleaning your lenses with? They shouldn't scratch if you are using a good microfiber towel and generic windex or glass cleaner.
Thanks for the input regarding the reflector burning and bulb overheating. Definitely good to think about.

The thermoformed lenses IMO are garbage for the replacement cost, and I'm pretty much considering taking them off altogether and using bedliner on the vanity plate. The lights not only had a poor seal on both sides from the very beginning due to the weatherstripping method used, but the thermoformed lenses rubbed against the glass lenses on the projector because they were shaped wrong. Dirt gets introduced into the system from normal driving due to the poor seal design, and got caught in between the two lenses (causing scratches). On top of this poor sealing issue, the material is way too weak and cracked when I GENTLY installed it with the provided weatherstripping - not only barely cracking at the edges, but in the center where it was pressing against the projector optics. Due to the cracks and the bad sealing issues from the weatherstripping, humidity also gets in the system, and I have built-up dirtywaterspots on the inside of the thermoformed lenses.

I'm probably one of the few that have/notice this issue (just like the adjustment screw hitting the radiator support when the lights are closed). Not really irritated by it, and light output doesn't seem to be affected at all.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:55 PM
FormerVendor

Odd and I wish you would have brought this to my attention earlier so I could have helped you with your issues. Feel free to PM to discuss since this convo is about 100W HID kits.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

Interesting find. 100 watts though... isn't that a little overkill? LoL

Quick Reply: 100W HID kits (no 56k)