Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edelbrock Stainless Headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Edelbrock Stainless Headers

I have been scouring the internet trying to find the best quality, fit, and price on stainless steel headers and I have heard good things about Edelbrock. I checked out there website and I see 2 results for my application (1999 Firebird Formula)

Application 1: 1998-99 Camaro/Firebird with LS1, fully welded (1-3/4", stepped to 1-7/8", 3-1/2" collector, mild steel) (may be used w/ L92 Heads) available in Ti-Tech Finish and Ceramic Coated

Application 2: 1998-02 Camaro/Firebird with 5.7L LS1, slip-on merge collector (1-3/4", stepped to 1-7/8", 3-1/2" collector,304 stainless steel) (may be used w/ L92 Head Conversions) available in Stainless

I am interested in the stainless ones obviously but I am not sure how the 3-1/2" collector works, I would get the Edelbrock Y pipe as well and I have a Borla catback.

Does anyone have the Stainless Edelbrock headers? Input on them?

And where the heck can you buy them from?? I looked at the Edelbrock store and they only have 7 results which don't match my application or what I want, and I don't necessarily needed a step to 1-7/8.

Worst case, how is the Ti-Tech coating vs Ceramic coating on their products?
Old 08-10-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my six+ years on this board I have never heard of anyone running those. (edit: Maybe 1 or 2) Maybe I've been kept in the dark or missed the threads....

Most common top of the line LT's I've seen are American Racing Headers, Kooks, Stainless Works and QTP. If you want a long lasting, durable piece that will perform; any of these will work for you.

Budget LT's are Pacesetter, eBay (OBX) and Hooker/Flowtech. TSP and BBK are between high end and budget. All of these perform well, but Hooker has been turning people off lately. Just be sure to go with either Stainless or Ceramic coated.

I'd like to look these up now that you mention them. They look good on paper.

-=EDIT=-
ha.. Found em..

http://www.byunspeed.com/index.php?o...&filter_id=118
Old 08-10-2011, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes thats them. I was also looking at the stainless Hooker's as well, found those after I made this thread. How come hooker is turning people off? They are cheaper than Edelbrock and I've heard Hooker flows well
Old 08-10-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Forgot to mention SLP
Old 08-10-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've heard SLPs are garbage as far as ground clearance goes.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
I actually saw a SLP header installed yesterday on a '00 Z28... I hopped down, looked underneath... and it wasn't anything too spectacular. I mean, as with all headers, he lost clearance, but nothing too bad. And they looked damned good to boot.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well if I wanted to spend $1000 I'd go with Kooks, ARH, or QTP lol. Even the Edelbrocks are a little more than I expected, Hooker is looking more like my price range...I could go with coated but I'd prefer stainless. I wouldn't do a whole lot of winter driving, and I only drive in the rain if I get caught in it but I know the coating flakes after a little while and then it rusts out.

Some people run BBK headers and they fit nicely. But they are ceramic coated or chrome. Chrome rusts as well doesn't it?
Old 08-10-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edelbrocks here. Not stainless it's their titanium coating. Looks primer grey but it's held up pretty good over the last 20k miles.

They fit great. I have to use a wrench now on my oil plug and the oil hits the headers win I drain it. not sure if all headers are like that though.. Otherwise they fit well. Only other weird thing is they leave the collector separate on the one with the high velocity merge... They supply these weird *** brackets that you can weld to the end of each primary an collector tube, like 16 brackets total. Then a bolt goes through and you can keep them tight that way, kinda like a ball and socket fitting. I opted to have them welded but local guy couldn't weld all the way around.. They were a tight fit though so I think (hope) they aren't leaking. Car is so loud I can't hear a leak over it haha. The collectors are pretty tough to get on the primaries but if you wrestle for a few minutes you'll get em on.

I don't think I'm missing any other details but if you have questions let me know. It's a great deal when you consider your getting a stepped header and high velocity merge collector. Oh and yea you gotta buy their y pipe too, they start really big and go back to whatever a normal aftermarket y pipe is. It's weird but I think it's part of their high flow merge design.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
Originally Posted by idle
I actually saw a SLP header installed yesterday on a '00 Z28... I hopped down, looked underneath... and it wasn't anything too spectacular. I mean, as with all headers, he lost clearance, but nothing too bad. And they looked damned good to boot.
I've got SLP LT's and you'd be leaving about 10hp on the table with the older design "tuned length." They're supposed to be good for low end torque, but I've found a couple threads where people switched and picked up 15-20hp peak. And there's no real collector. It seems like they took four pipes, lopped the ends off square and welded a 3" piece of 3" OD tubing on there. That's it. I understand the concept behind tuned length headers and Long Tube headers, but these were kind of a waste of money IMO I should have done a little more research and gotten a set of Kooks instead.

I've had mine in since 04 and they still look decent. No rust, but they hazed over a little which is no big deal. I just want a better performing set.

I'm really surprised SLP never chimes in here to defend their products or to do a little market research on what the customer is looking for.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

ive had a set of Hooker coated for about 9 years....They perform good but the coating is flaking VERY bad. The bottom half (where the collector is) has lost ALL of the coating and have rusted very bad. I wish i could afford Kooks but i think i might try the "brocks, or Pacesetters...I want a set of stainless ones too..
Old 08-11-2011, 01:19 AM
TECH Resident

I have the edelbrock stepped 1 7/8 victor series drag race headers in ti-tech and all I can say is... IT WAS THE BEST 200 I EVER SPENT!!! Got them for a steal brand new from edelbrock when they decided to cancel their exhaust products. They fit very very easily with no modifications whatsoever. The collectors being 3 1/2 inch was odd but I just had a reducer put there. I don't want to lose more ground clearance with a 3 1/2" y pipe... But they're excellent headers and I honestly can say I can't believe more people don't run them. Sound great too!
Old 08-11-2011, 01:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm gonna be buying the TSP stainless 1 7/8s for about $500. They should be available soon.....
Old 08-11-2011, 05:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UnVMySS
I have the edelbrock stepped 1 7/8 victor series drag race headers in ti-tech and all I can say is... IT WAS THE BEST 200 I EVER SPENT!!! Got them for a steal brand new from edelbrock when they decided to cancel their exhaust products. They fit very very easily with no modifications whatsoever. The collectors being 3 1/2 inch was odd but I just had a reducer put there. I don't want to lose more ground clearance with a 3 1/2" y pipe... But they're excellent headers and I honestly can say I can't believe more people don't run them. Sound great too!
Oh so they are no longer being produced?

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I'm gonna be buying the TSP stainless 1 7/8s for about $500. They should be available soon.....
I was going to do that too but I don't have plans do do H/C. I may do a cam, I'm not sure yet and I've considered spraying a 75-125 shot but I'm not sure if 1-7/8 is necessary
Old 08-13-2011, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No I believe he is mistaken. It was jegs or summit that cancelled the edelbrock lineup from their stock and clearanced them off for 200. I know because Thats when I got mine. You can still buy the headers just not from jegs or summit ( whichever it was). I heard they were canceling ti tech( titanium coating ). But I don't think they actually did.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ps 1 7/8 is always necessary even for a mildly modded ls1. These are stepped 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 which gives more exhaust velocity and flow than a 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 straight pipe could deliver. It also has the high velocity merge collector option for super quick and strong exhaust evacuation.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Stainless Headers