LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

carb my 95 LT1 advice???

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb my 95 LT1 advice???

i have been flirting with this idea. anyone have some part numbers on what intake to buy?
can anyone tell me what troubles im facing?

just curious. i appreciate any info on this. thanks
Old 08-10-2011, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sticking with the Optispark? Or going to a regular distributor?

Al 95 Z28
Old 08-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Im assuming changing to a regular distributor would be better. Like a msd pro billet.
I have enjoyed many years of usage out of my Dynaspark, with a msd opti style as backup. But if I change over why not eleminate everything. Am I thinking right?
Old 08-11-2011, 01:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GITSUM95Z
Im assuming changing to a regular distributor would be better. Like a msd pro billet.
I have enjoyed many years of usage out of my Dynaspark, with a msd opti style as backup. But if I change over why not eleminate everything. Am I thinking right?
If you put the distributor in the back you're going to have fun if you ever need to pull the intake. Have to remove the distributor first, not a lot of room back there, unless you cut the cowl.

Do a search here and you'll find threads about it.

Al 95 Z28
Old 08-11-2011, 01:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do you want to carb your lt1?
Old 08-11-2011, 02:04 AM
Teching In

im just done taking the car to get tuned everytime i do an upgrade. i am going solid roller and the lt1 computer will not handle the rpm range so i was told ls1 change over or fast ecu. why spend all that money and continue tunning every time i turn around. the car is transforming into a bracket car to do some dely box racing. it is a whole lot cheaper and less time consuming to change carbs, jets ect. as for the dist clearence issues, i was thinking of do what some nhra stock & superstock guys do and run msd dist, with a shallow ford cap. this way clearence is not an issue. i am waiting response on the part numbers to make that work.

i found a ton of info on this swap on this site, "the full carb swap" it is incredible. the only 2 questions i have left before ordering what i need are.
1) can i still run the 6spd without computer?
2) i already run a msd coil. i already have msd 6al box. can i just use a msd pro billet dist and go directly to coil. similar to a points style but non point dist
hopefully these questions arent stupid
Old 08-11-2011, 02:07 AM
Teching In

dont get me wrong i have enjoyed the fuel injection, however i just feel like i have just about reached my capacity with it on this build.
after 1 more year running a stick class its power glide time
Old 08-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Launching!

I went to a carb about 5-6 years ago. something like that. I would NEVER GO BACK.

I run a MSD crank trigger and crank trigger dist. It is low profile which helps when needing to remove it without dropping the motor. I did cut the cowl back to the firewall. You will probably have to do that anyways. Small blocks like spacers under the carb. The carb would hit the cowl if you run spacers. I currently am running a Super Vic with a 1" and a 1/4" spacer. I would like to run more but I don't want to cut the glass or get a lexan windshield.

I am not sure about your 6 speed question. But the coil should wire right into the 6AL box. I run a 7AL but they should wire just about the same.

Ken
Old 08-12-2011, 11:36 AM
Teching In

thanks z28racerlt1.... i have already ordered almost everything i need to do this swap. i have seen many photos on this and i like what i see. i have already made so many changes to this car so some cutting isnt gonna be a big deal. i seen the crank trigger msd setup. is this hard to install, or is there any tips you have learned to make the install easier. i dont know much about the crank trigger stuff so any info would be helpful. im tossed up by the crank trigger setup, and the points style but instead of points installing pertronix ignitor solid state ignition system. i have been messing with the fi lt1 stuff for last 10 years that i am very rusty on my "old style" ignition stuff.... thanks agian for your input

Quick Reply: carb my 95 LT1 advice???