Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C disconnect during cam install?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C disconnect during cam install?

Is there a away to not lose the freon or whatever it is during a cam install? If I don't have to disconnect this that would be great.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: A/C disconnect during cam install?

I can't believe anybody discharges their a/c to do a cam install. They claim it's easier that way...right....no chance, clearly they've not done it the other way.

Loosen the bracket around the silver canister (dryer?) mounted there on the fender wall, free up the condensor, then when its time to pull the cam out, lift the condenser out of the way and bungee cord it to your hood latch, so it's up in the air. Swap your cams, let the condenser back down. Simple. Discharging the a/c just lets the shops charge more for the install imo. I'm an amateur and had no problems at all working entirely by myself.

<small>[ February 28, 2003, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: Dave Carney ]</small>
Old 02-28-2003, 09:39 PM
wrencher

The best way is to disconnect the condeser,but you have to discharge system. You can try to put condeser down low but it just bends lines up. If you leave the system open you should replace the a/c acumulator before recharging.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

I just installed a cam last week you do not have to discharge the system or disconnect the cannister. Just jack the front of the car up abou 12" and drop ac radiator down through the bottom I did this and it worked fine.
Old 02-28-2003, 10:00 PM
TECH Junkie

There is absolutely NO reason to discharge the A/C when doing a cam install. Just lift it out of the way and do not worry about bending the lines a little. Aluminum lines are very flexible. If you discharge the system you will have problems with the A/C system down the road as any moisture will cause a chemical reaction forming an acid which destroys various components.
Old 02-28-2003, 10:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah...no need to discharge. Just make sure if you bend the line a little...take care not to do it around the ends. Some of the crimps are weak spots and may crack. Tweak in the middle of the lines and youll be ok. FWIW I always lifted mine up and out of the way.
Old 03-01-2003, 12:00 AM
TECH Resident

This was one of the only portions of the cam install that didn't go as easily as I'd hoped. We tried for almost an hour to get the condenser apart from the radiator and just couldn't get it. We had to discharge the system and, as chance would have it, the condenser to evaporator line did develop a crack near the joint next to the radiator neck and it had to be replaced. It just couldn't be helped in my case. It can be done but it just didn't happen for me. Hopefully, I won't develop future problems with the A/C.
Old 03-01-2003, 12:38 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

You will not have future problems with the A/C unless you fail to vacuum the system properly before re-filling it. You need to have an A/C machine for this...
Old 03-01-2003, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Jabroni:
<strong> We tried for almost an hour to get the condenser apart from the radiator and just couldn't get it. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There is a black plastic shroud that keeps them together, you just unsnap it and take it out.
Old 03-01-2003, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i just finished my head/cam install keeping the ac on the car. if i was ever to do a this again i would definetly take the ac out. It was a big pain in the ***...that extra 2 inches of "leg-room" (because i stand in the engine bay) would have helped out alot.

Quick Reply: A/C disconnect during cam install?