Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2010 M5 25hr correction (no 56k)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 12:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2010 M5 25hr correction (no 56k)

I did this new M5 a little while ago, but hadn't done the writeup on it yet. The plan for this car was to prep the paint for it to be wrapped in clear film to protect it. But this wasn't for just the front end....every surface of this beast would be wrapped by the best in the business: Premier Films. Even though it only had about 900 miles, it had a fair amount of swirls and scratches throughout. A 2 stage correction was chosen to sort out the imperfections so the car would look great with the clear film covering all the paint. Since the film would lock in any imperfections, a high level of correction was required. A total of about 25 hours went into this car.

Upon arrival, the car looked quite good, as you'd expect with such low mileage.

A preview of the swirls waiting for me....

The wheels needed some attention.

Gloss-It Wheel Gel was used to safely clean the wheels of all grime and brake dust.

Clean all the way to the inside of the wheel

The Pre-wash foaming to loosen dirt to reduce the chance of marring during the washing phase.

Washed with the 2 Bucket Method with 2 Grit Guards and a brand new Pinnacle MF wash mitt.

Claying the car with Pinnacle green clay and ONR as clay lube

After one section....

With the car washed, stripped, and clayed of all dirt, contaminants, and dealer wax....this is what was waiting for me.

More swirls, scratches, and holograms/buffer trails

Old 08-17-2011, 12:42 AM
TECH Junkie

The dealer gave my client a great deal on the car, but this had to go.

After compounding....

Working in the finishing polish

Work was finished very late into the night on the second day, so there were no sun pics to be taken.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Wheels were sealed with Optimum Opti-Seal

I stopped by Premier to take some "in-process" pics for my client. Very impressed with the work they were putting out. Client decided to do a Satin wrap on the car after seeing another one like it. So while the paint is covered, at least when the day comes to remove it, it'll still be looking good underneath.

Even though it was a little dirty, the paint was still swirl mark free.

Thanks for checking it out!
Old 08-17-2011, 04:45 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good work man, what is the wrap color like a flat grey or something?
Old 08-17-2011, 08:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That came out gorgeous! I always love seeing your pictures of your work!
Old 08-17-2011, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Client decided to do a Satin wrap on the car after seeing another one like it.
All that hard work covered up, damn!
jk, the car def needed it after seeing some of those before pics. Nice job on the clean up.
Whats the prep process to installing those wraps? Do they have to remove all the chemicals and wax from the paint before applying or do they just clean it up and go to town wrapping it? Seems like the wax and polish would keep it from sticking good...

Also, what do you recommend that isnt crazy expensive to clean the inside wheel wells if they have a lot of brake debri and baked on crap from not being done for a long time? (Previous owner never did the insides and I dont want to sit there for days scrubbing away at it..) Seems like that stuff you used on the M5 worked really well but then again, that car is also ten years newer than mine so a lot less crap to clean off....
Old 08-17-2011, 08:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're a god.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome work as always!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bro can you make a write-up on how you did the buffing and compounding? Everytime I do that type of work to my black vehicles they come out looking more marred and swirled than when they came in! Help me out!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:52 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Damn dude, good work. x2 on the buffing and compounding write-up on how to remove swirls.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
Thank you! The wrap doesn't have any color actually, is clear but has a satin finish.

Originally Posted by StealthWeaponLS1
That came out gorgeous! I always love seeing your pictures of your work!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
All that hard work covered up, damn!
jk, the car def needed it after seeing some of those before pics. Nice job on the clean up.
Whats the prep process to installing those wraps? Do they have to remove all the chemicals and wax from the paint before applying or do they just clean it up and go to town wrapping it? Seems like the wax and polish would keep it from sticking good...

Also, what do you recommend that isnt crazy expensive to clean the inside wheel wells if they have a lot of brake debri and baked on crap from not being done for a long time? (Previous owner never did the insides and I dont want to sit there for days scrubbing away at it..) Seems like that stuff you used on the M5 worked really well but then again, that car is also ten years newer than mine so a lot less crap to clean off....
Thanks! You're dead on right about wax/sealant before a wrap. On this car, no wax or sealant was applied because it would have to be removed for the film to be installed properly.

For the inside of the wheels, there are 3 products that work exceptionally. Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner, P21S Wheel Gel, and Gloss-It wheel gel. All three are pricey, but they are all safe for all kinds of wheels and pH balanced as well. A Daytona Wheel brush or Wheel Woolies work great at cleaning the inside. If that won't clean it, you may need to remove the wheels to clean them.

Originally Posted by Spd-Kilz
You're a god.
Thanks, but I'm still human

Originally Posted by Aaron@Texas-Speed
Awesome work as always!
Thanks Aaron!

Originally Posted by idle
Bro can you make a write-up on how you did the buffing and compounding? Everytime I do that type of work to my black vehicles they come out looking more marred and swirled than when they came in! Help me out!
I suppose I could. Maybe shoot a video even. After the busy season I might do something like that. What are you using on your car?

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
Damn dude, good work. x2 on the buffing and compounding write-up on how to remove swirls.
Thanks!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've been using a rotary buffer and a 3M compound on a soft pad... apparantly not good enough
Old 08-18-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Man I can appreciate all the hard work. I had 19 hours in Black 96 Camaro SS this past weekend. Phenomenal job!!!
Old 08-18-2011, 11:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LT4vert
Man I can appreciate all the hard work. I had 19 hours in Black 96 Camaro SS this past weekend. Phenomenal job!!!
Thank you!
Old 08-19-2011, 08:35 AM
Launching!

Yea, i wouldnt mind seeing a video or a write up or something about doign a proper buffing and waxing of a car. Ive always wanted to learn how to do that.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:45 AM
TECH Junkie

I love your threads. I seriously need you to detail my car!
Old 08-20-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Looks great but is the stuff you used on the wheels safe for polished wheels. I know some come clear coated but if it helps, mine are the polished C5's from OEWheelsLLC and was gonna make sure first before I bought some and it messed them up.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:21 AM
Launching!

repairs look great! but i dont understand the film, why? to protect paint? i mean the cost to have that stuff installed properly and then removed properly wouldn't it just be cheaper to repair or hell even respray the front end every few years if your gonna be that **** of an owner. i mean honestly how much is that wrap job gonna cost?

-matt
Old 08-24-2011, 11:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by StealthWeaponLS1
Yea, i wouldnt mind seeing a video or a write up or something about doign a proper buffing and waxing of a car. Ive always wanted to learn how to do that.
I may do one down the line...

Originally Posted by HoLLo
I love your threads. I seriously need you to detail my car!
Thanks! Send me a plane ticket and I'll do it

Originally Posted by 9WhiteCamaro9
Looks great but is the stuff you used on the wheels safe for polished wheels. I know some come clear coated but if it helps, mine are the polished C5's from OEWheelsLLC and was gonna make sure first before I bought some and it messed them up.
Yes, its safe all all types.

Originally Posted by 01M6TA
repairs look great! but i dont understand the film, why? to protect paint? i mean the cost to have that stuff installed properly and then removed properly wouldn't it just be cheaper to repair or hell even respray the front end every few years if your gonna be that **** of an owner. i mean honestly how much is that wrap job gonna cost?

-matt
Matt, because the film is almost zero maintenance, and will protect from bird droppings, deep scratches, and rock chips. Repainting a car like that isn't so simple. You'll never get a solid match on the metal flake in the paint. If you were gonna repaint that car, it would be around 6-7k to do it right, and then you have to deal with it severely negatively effecting the resale value. The wraps on a car like this vary from 4-7k.