Spending some vacation time in Fredericksburg

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spending some vacation time in Fredericksburg

Well after my wife shot down my idea of going to Colorado for our anniversary, (she felt bad not including the kids in the trip), she liked my idea of spending a couple nights in Fredericksburg. We were looking at maybe staying at Barons Creekside cabins. Anyone stayed there or have a comment or suggestion?
I've never been in or around here before, so I was wondering what the must see's or must do's are around there if anyone has any input. Anyone been to enchanted rock? Is Luckenbach a cool place to visit? Ideas?
BTW, we plan on staying there for a few days in the first week of December if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Billy
Old 08-18-2011, 06:50 AM
TECH Junkie

My wife and I just spent a couple days in Fredericksburg this summer. Loved it.

Assuming you're over 21...There are several wineries in the area. I highly recommend Grape Creek, Woodrose, and Becker. Grape Creek has a great tour, while my wife and I enjoyed Becker's wines most of the three. Woodrose has some great white wines (I'm a red wine guy).

If you're a history buff, the National Museum of the Pacific War is a must. The tickets are good for up to 72 hours after you purchase them, and with good reason. There's a lot to see. My wife and I spent about 4 hours in the Bush museum, and even that felt a little rushed. We didn't get a chance to go see the Pacific Combat museum, but we will next time we go. I had already seen the old Nimitz museum several years ago, so we skipped that. The tickets are good for all three.

There are plenty of good places to eat, and a couple microbreweries.

My wife and I just wanted to be lazy and relax. We dropped the baby off with her mom in Austin, then spent about three days in Fredericksburg. Due to our laziness, we didn't go to Enchanted Rock or anything like that.

-Mike
Old 08-18-2011, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Awesome info. Mike. thats exactly what we needed. We are leaving our boys with the grandparents down here, so we'll be alone for more than a day for the first time in about 8 years. We'll proably get a little lazy ourselves......

Where did you guys stay at?

I also saw that Marble Falls is relatively close. I've read about a few things in that area. Anyone know of anything to do up there?
Old 08-18-2011, 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

My wife and I spent our 1st Anniversary there in Feb of 2003. We stayed at a Bed and Breakfast called the Shenandoah, although it appears to no longer be operated as B&B. There are many other B&Bs to choose from though. I would love to go back, the German food, beer was great and the town was beautiful.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Junkie

We stayed at the Inn on Baron's Creek. It was nice, but not what I would call luxurious. There was nothing wrong with it, per se, and the price was right. It's within walking distance of Main Street, which is a big plus. When I travel, it's usually for work, so my hotel room is just where I sleep. When I'm on vacation, I like to be a little more spoiled.

-Mike
Old 08-18-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm looking for a place to go next month 9/10/11 weekend for my wedding anniversary. We got married by the justice of the peace but we never had a wedding ceremony/party. It's a long story but I haven't even proposed to her with a ring lol

Where is this place that you speak of?
Old 08-18-2011, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

^^^ a big wedding/ceremony is way overrated. My wife and I didn't ge to enjoy any of our food/beverages. But the ring is a big deal.

I've neve been to Fredericksburg, heard there's lots of nice scenery.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

It's just west of Austin / just north of San Antonio. It seems to be a really nice place to visit. I'll bet going there in the fall would be really nice as well. I was actually trying to talk her into going earlier, but she wants to be there on the date of our anniversary sooooo.......I think we are looking at staying in the Baron's Creek Cabins......
Old 08-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

There are several places with "Barons Creek" in the name but a couple of years ago we stayed at 'Barons Creekside' cabins. Very nice, the guy that owns its is from Sweden and kind of modeled the place after a little Swiss village.

"Hike the Rock", most memorable thing we did, although with the heat right now I would plan accordingly. Anyway its a huge granite formation you climb up. Really, really, really neat. I got the t-shirt after that. There is also a place where you can watch a cave full of bats come out in the evening.

Best place to eat is the Silver Creek Beer Garden hands ****** down. They have a pork shank dish there that is the bomb.

We were back a couple of weeks ago and stayed at the Inn on Barons Creek which is a regular hotel type of deal, we were there for the Cannonbird Run II.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.fredericksburg-lodging.com/
This is a service I used last month that put me into a great B&B there. I stayed about 10 minutes outside of town at the 'Barn at the Quarry', a quaint, romantic stone building on a small ranch. Weekends are usually booked during summer months. A clean, older motel I like is Peachtree Inn.
Enjoy F-burg!
Old 08-18-2011, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

Awesome guys! I really appreciate all of the input. She is pretty much sold on this idea now. Thanks again for all of the input and info!

Billy
Old 08-24-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any other places in Texas or nearby that have good scenery and stuff for an anniversary weekend? We already walked the Riverwalk in SA a lot of times. We might end up going to "F-burg" if there's nothing else.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Just figured I'd let everyone know how it went during our stay in Fredericksburg.

My wife and I had a great time out there. The hill country is amazing, the people were great, and there was alot to do and see. Here are a few highlights.

Baron's Creekside Cabins.....beautiful place to stay. Highly recommended, can be found easily online. The wife LOVED this place.

Enchanted Rock....really fun hiking/climbing experience. It was really cold and REALLY windy, but it just made getting to the top more of an accomplishment. Cool place to visit, I only wish I would have had a bike to make the drive from Fredericksburg to the park.....that ride woulda been fun on the R6.....uphill, downhill, elevation changes on turns....the whole 9 yards.

Downtown Fredericksburg.....cool shops everywhere, good food everywhere, and you can carry your beer on your walk around! Expect to carry many many bags of things your wife or significant other couldn't live without. The Pacific war Museam was awesome......keep about 4 hours handy for the museam visit.

Food.....great food everywhere. We really liked Pasta Bella. Silver Creek was pretty good, we also went to Kerrville to the Cowboy Steakhouse. My ribeye was very good, but the sirloin my wife ordered was incredible.

I HIGHLY recommend a visit here to anyone wanting to take their wife or girlfriend away for a couple days. The weekends look to be very busy, but we still had a blast.