Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM Capabilities

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM Capabilities

I did a couple searches but found nothing noteworthy.

A while back I had a shop do an LS swap on my BMW. I would have preferred to do all of the work myself but I had no time due to the fact it was DD and could not afford much downtime. The idea was just to get the motor in and running. From there I intended to modify it, adding a few features like A/C, HUD, OBDII stuff, etc. I was adding the harness for A/C last night and went to connect the harness to the PCM pins when something caught me off guard. The PCM looked different from the F-body version I was expecting. I did a part number search and found it was out of a 01 or 02 Chevy express van.

1) Will the Van PCM manage the engine as well as the F-Body/vette PCM does? I wouldn't think so, but in theory the engines are the same. I was wondering why the motor was showing lower HP than I was anticipating, could this be why?

2) Can the PCM be cloned to that of an F-Body (software and pinout)? I don't think so as many circuits have physical resistors, etc, for controlling different systems.

3) Does this mean that I will only be able to add features that were available on the Chevy Exp. Van? (i.e. no HUD possible with this PCM)
Old 08-18-2011, 10:20 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post a picture of the PCM.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rao
Post a picture of the PCM.
Looks like pcm in this post, minus the mount:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/12684545-post13.html

I will post a pic of my PCM with the wiring when I get back to the car; probably tonight.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:12 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That PCM can be flashed with an F-body map.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rao
That PCM can be flashed with an F-body map.
Understood, as I think it is currently running one, but does the pinout change when you alter the map? I wouldn't think so as the two should be independent of each other. I just want to confirm before I go adding more pins to the harness in the wrong locations.

Would the PCM from an express van manage the engine any differently than that from an F-Body? There is more to it than just the map right? Each PCM expects certain inputs, sensors etc. Can the PCM being used physically produce less power than others depending on its original vehicle etc or is it all in the map alone?
Old 08-18-2011, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Danamal
Understood, as I think it is currently running one, but does the pinout change when you alter the map? I wouldn't think so as the two should be independent of each other. I just want to confirm before I go adding more pins to the harness in the wrong locations.

Would the PCM from an express van manage the engine any differently than that from an F-Body? There is more to it than just the map right? Each PCM expects certain inputs, sensors etc. Can the PCM being used physically produce less power than others depending on its original vehicle etc or is it all in the map alone?
Performance will not be affected.

Tuning parameters between all gen 3's are similar Some platforms add/remove options, but even between manual and auto tunes, just about all the same tables are there.

It's not like you're going to open an f-body file and see chrome and flames or something...
Old 08-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jim_PA
Performance will not be affected.

Tuning parameters between all gen 3's are similar Some platforms add/remove options, but even between manual and auto tunes, just about all the same tables are there.

It's not like you're going to open an f-body file and see chrome and flames or something...
Thanks, but perhaps I am asking the question wrong. Flames are never a good thing inside a PCM. haha

I'll give a hypothetical. If I were to take an PCM and harness from an 02 X-Van and plug it into a 02 Camaro, with the proper map, would the engine produce the exact same power HP/TQ as it did with the original Camaro PCM and harness? Why/Why not?

I would suspect not. Would not some sensors would perform differently? Albeit even slightly? Would you not expect that some control logic has different feedback loops and variables?
Old 08-19-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

An 02 Express van uses a Vortec 350 with either a 4L60E or 4L80E transmision. The wiring harnesses are not inter-changeable, however the PCM is depending on which OS is loaded

Quick Reply: PCM Capabilities