Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Trans guys head in...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans guys head in...

The scoop- I installed a level 3 monster,quicktime bell and tick master in my 35th camaro. I kept loosin hydraulic fluid had to fill it evry other day. I guess I had the peddle adjusted to far out because I over extended the slave and it gave out. Anyway I pulled the bolts on the trans and fluid poored out (trans and brake). Then I pulled the slave and a bunch more trans fluid was behind it. If its leakin from the imput shaft whats my next step? And if fluid got on that clutch disk is it wasted? Any ideas would be awesome cuz im not sure what to do. If you need more info let me know im fixen to pull the clutch see how it looks thanks fellas.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:33 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The input shaft machined surface needs inspected and the seal need replaced. You do not have to disassemble the entire trans. for this.

Do you want to save money on the disc and potentially pull the trans. again?
Or do you want to machine the flywheel and PP (or replace) and replace (or have re-lined) the disc and know it'll be a while before you have to pull it again?

Those are your 2 options. If it's heavily soaked, you're not going to save money or time trying to run it again. If it only got a tiny bit on it, you might get lucky.

Good luck.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Thanks jmd.. So Im guessin ive gota pull the front case off and knock the seal out and replace it awesome what I get for usen mobil 1 fluid lesson learned! I diddnt get the clutch off but im prayin it diddnt get dowsed cant afford another 1500 dollar clutch. Anbody have any pointers on changing the seal? What all I need?
Old 08-21-2011, 11:35 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

a thin-wall sleeve or socket will drive the new seal in (if it fits between the outer wall and inner seal wall)
tranny tail down
RTV ultra black
trans. assembly lube on the outside of the bearing races holds those in place
the shift rails may need pushed around a bit with a thin piece of metal to line up w/ the bushings in the front plate
Old 08-22-2011, 01:38 AM
On The Tree

Thanks bro Ive got super black and assembly lube and I guess il understand what your talkin about when I dig in..
Old 08-23-2011, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Update guys- I pulled the clutch down and I cant see or feel any visible sighns of fluid on the pressure plate, disc or flywheel. Although the center of the disc were the lil springs are is pretty sloppy loose and noisey. Would there be any visual evidence like burnt fluid if it got in the clutch cause I cant see anything and should i replace the disc because how sloppy that center is I dont think it was loose like that when i put it in?? Thanks
Old 08-23-2011, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Maybe one day Il get to drive this car..
Old 08-24-2011, 01:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Feel free to send me pics of the disc, pressure plate and flywheel for an opinion. If fluid has contaminated it could have caused it to chatter and loosen the spring carrier up from the hub.