Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

front end fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front end fix

So i've been thinking about doing some fixes to my front end on my 93 Z. here are the problems:

A lot of play in the wheel
bump steers
steering wheel shakes a tad at 50 or above
when swerving back and forth the car seems to sway alot and it doesnt feel as responsive when i turn the wheel back and forth (i dont mean in a power steering way)

would replacing all bushings help or should i get all new tie rods and control arms?

hit me with any idea's...thanks
Old 08-26-2011, 03:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Front end alignment?
Old 08-26-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not start by jacking up the car up and shaking down the front end? It could be several problems
Old 08-27-2011, 01:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're talking about a 18 year old car. You don't specify how many miles are on it, but even if it was "low mileage" for it's age, I would dare say that most, if not all, the bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, and steering shaft rag joint are at the end of their life cycle.

If you're mechanically inclined, and have the tools available, $4-500 in parts, and a full weekend's worth of work would have you in shape to get an alignment on Monday, and have a decently driving car.

Not to be a 'wise guy', but since you're asking a pretty basic question on an internet discussion forum, I'm assuming, however, that your mechanical experience is limited. Therefore, if you want the car to be safe to drive, be prepared to open your wallet, and have ALL those parts replaced......
Old 08-27-2011, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
You're talking about a 18 year old car. You don't specify how many miles are on it, but even if it was "low mileage" for it's age, I would dare say that most, if not all, the bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, and steering shaft rag joint are at the end of their life cycle.

If you're mechanically inclined, and have the tools available, $4-500 in parts, and a full weekend's worth of work would have you in shape to get an alignment on Monday, and have a decently driving car.

Not to be a 'wise guy', but since you're asking a pretty basic question on an internet discussion forum, I'm assuming, however, that your mechanical experience is limited. Therefore, if you want the car to be safe to drive, be prepared to open your wallet, and have ALL those parts replaced......
i love how your being a dick without actually being a dick haha. i agree give more details on the car and it will be alot easier to help narrow down your problem.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 14k
i love how your being a dick without actually being a dick haha. i agree give more details on the car and it will be alot easier to help narrow down your problem.
Who's being a dick???

To me, rebuilding a front end is no big deal.....BUT I have ALL the tools, and 40 years of experiencing doing it! I changed out my first set of ball joints in 1970, probably before most of you guys were born....

But if somebody describes his car's symptoms, such as the OP, and then says, "would replacing the bushings help, or do I need tie rods too", it's appears to be VERY obvious his skills are probably limited. Therefore, he better be prepared to "purchase" some experienced help.

The truth sometimes hurts, and stating it doesn't make you a dick!
Old 08-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Teching In

no hes right i just started working on my car about a year ago. im only 18 so im just starting to get into the mechanical world but i like to work on my car cuz 1 it doesnt cost as much and u gota start learning somewhere
Old 08-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Teching In

108xxx miles
Old 08-29-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bbreeze93
no hes right i just started working on my car about a year ago. im only 18 so im just starting to get into the mechanical world but i like to work on my car cuz 1 it doesnt cost as much and u gota start learning somewhere
Welcome to the club...We all had to start somewhere!

Do you think the ball joints are original? A good sign that they are, would be if the uppers are still held in by rivets.

I know that you probably don't want to hear this, but with over 100K miles, replacing all of the "moving parts" in the front end will probably be in order. Ball joints and control arm bushings would be first on my list, as well as a "rag joint eliminator" on the steering shaft. After that, I'd attack the outer tie rods, sway bar links, and sway bar bushings.

The problem you'll have to deal with, beyond the cost, is if you want to do it in stages, which might be dictated by your budget, you might have to spring for more than one front end alignment. Any time you replace worn parts, it affects how the parts sit in relation to each other, which affects how the car sits, which can affect the alignment.

Also, keep in mind, the rear end also has LCA bushings and PHB bushings, which will affetc the car's stability. These are probably in need of replacement also, but the front end parts are more critical to stability and safety.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:41 AM
Teching In

yea i was looking at buying one of those master polyurethane bushing sets from hyperflex or something for like $110. if im gunna have to do multiple alignments then ill just do it all once cuz im gunna have to spend the money anyways so mine as well do it and finish with one alignment. i was also looking into having this shop near by that specializes in trans, brakes and suspension. maybe they can tell me exactly what needs to be replaced and should be replaced...i like to work on the motor not the suspension
Old 08-31-2011, 06:10 AM
TECH Veteran

If you farm the work out, just make sure that the shop has a proper press for removing/installing ball joints. The uppers are very easy to do, but there have been horror stories discussed here on this forum, about lower a-arms that have been bent, by using improper tools/methods to do the lower b/js....
Old 08-31-2011, 09:40 PM
Teching In

ok thanks

Quick Reply: front end fix