Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to clean brake assembly/wheel well help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default How to clean brake assembly/wheel well help!

Hey guys,
I need some help on cleaning my brakes and wheel wells. I plan on spending next weekend on doing this bc it may take a while
I will post pics with this so you can see what I'm dealing with, but what supplies and tools will I need to make this look good again?
Thanks for you help!!

Old 08-28-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

brake cleaner, caliper paint to paint brakes. do you just want to freshen up the fender wells color or strip the rough protective coat (heard its a p.i.t.a.) and do something else?
Old 08-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know that works well cleaning all the brake grime off? Chrome plated wheel cleaner. IIRC, Hot wheels? Literally will break down all the grime off the calipers with that stuff.

I haven't done this for years but when my calipers weren't painted, this was my method of cleaning them. Just look at the result.^^^
Old 08-28-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rabbit320
brake cleaner, caliper paint to paint brakes. do you just want to freshen up the fender wells color or strip the rough protective coat (heard its a p.i.t.a.) and do something else?
Whatever it takes to make the wells look better. I haven't really got in there yet to see what I'm up against, but right now they just look dirty from years on the road.
I don't know what my options are when you mention stripping the protective coat and doing something else. I mean, if a lot of scrubbing is needed to clean it out then that is fine, I just want a cleaner looking area behind my wheels and I'm willing to do whatever has to be done.

Originally Posted by bene
You know that works well cleaning all the brake grime off? Chrome plated wheel cleaner. IIRC, Hot wheels? Literally will break down all the grime off the calipers with that stuff.

I haven't done this for years but when my calipers weren't painted, this was my method of cleaning them. Just look at the result.^^^
Thats a good idea. Where do can I buy this stuff at? Just at my local Auto Zone/O'riley's. And the product is called IIRC or Hot Wheels?
Thanks for the info!
Old 08-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by bigbomber5
Thats a good idea. Where do can I buy this stuff at? Just at my local Auto Zone/O'riley's. And the product is called IIRC or Hot Wheels?
Thanks for the info!
IIRC= If I Remember Correctly.

This stuff.

Autozone/O'Reillys/Napa should have them.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is what i have, and this is what you need http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-405-a...ning-tool.aspx and some wheel cleaner. when you're done cleaning them id recommend putting a sealant on them to protect them and make it easier to clean next time

Last edited by JHL88; 08-28-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:12 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the info guys
Old 08-28-2011, 04:54 PM
TECH Junkie

You can do anything you want but if you don't address the rotors, it'll still look bad. In addition to painting the calipers or whatever you plan to do, mask off the part of the rotor that touches the pads with clear packing tape and use a razor to cut around the hat of the rotor. Paint the rotor hats too!!

Quick Reply: How to clean brake assembly/wheel well help!