Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Longtubes and lowering springs..

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longtubes and lowering springs..

Need to get some new shocks/springs got a few questions. Gonna have TSP longtubes once they come out of backorder. Was wondering if (or how bad) you scrape with longtubes and lowering springs, would appreciate it if you stated what springs and longtubes you got. For shocks it seems I'll be leaning towards the KONI 8200 series as it seems they have a little more compatibility with drag and road course. I was looking at the Hotchkis lowing springs because they only drop an inch according to the website and from my searches it seems a few people run the hotchki/koni combo to their liking. I looked at the strano options but I couldnt find just the springs, they came as a part of a package, and since we are doing an 8.8 rear end conversion not sure how compatible that would be (leaning away from pushing out the axles and more towards fabbing the whole 8.8 housing into the back). Any thoughts on a suspension setup with longtube headers that would be decent at both road course and drag? If I HAD to favor one racing style it would be drag. Thanx in advance.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have the Koni/Strano combo and LPP headers. I only scrape on larger than normal speed bumps or on normal ones if there is a passenger in the car. The Hotchkis springs are a great choice as well so you won't be dissapointed. That said I know for a fact you can get Strano springs by them selves at www.stranoparts.com . Best of luck with the conversion, I'm gonna start an 8.8 conversion as soon as I swap in a T56.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

i would look to see where you sit after the installation of the long tubes, that should help you determine how far you could drop it.
i am saying this because every car sits a little different.

i know i scrape with a passenger, but its more my y-pipe and where the headers meet at.

but i have pacesetters.. and they hug the bottom of the car well.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Launching!

I have SLP LT's, believe my springs are stock with bilstien shocks. I think I sit about a half inch below stock. my headers hang kinda low but not the worst, like said unless its BIG bump they dont hit. my cutouts hang lower, and the flange is what scrapes on most speedbumps if i dont let the center of my car (where the cutouts are) go over the gap between the speedbumps.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Banned

We run SLP HD Bilsteins and Hotchkis 1" lowering springs. You're gonna scrap no matter what especially on speed bumps. We've ran three different LT setups and they all scrape especially if you have a 180+ pound person in the passenger side.

You want to make sure you reuse that stock bracket that clamps on the passenger side y-pipe to the trans or you may have that side scrape against something and pull back the y-pipe esp if it is a slip fit design.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

thanx for the responses. lol didnt notice the lowering springs link on the strano sight, see them now. I did however get sidetracked by the edelbrock IAS shock kit with the adjustable coil-over up front. I use to have a jeep and I remember really really wanting some edel IAS shocks (awesome technology). Plus the adjustability of the coil over front is a bonus to raise for city driving. Anyone ever run these? or any coil-overs for that matter?
Old 09-03-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I haven't run those or ground control, but I have had some experience with ground control. They were really nice for the money and you get to spec out your own spring rates which is nice. What are you wanting out of the car, handling with acceptable street manors? If that is it then Konis are hard to beat. Either the Stranos or Hotchkis springs will work fine for you if that is what you want. The stranos I find a bit more predictable with their linear working rate while the Hotchkis seam a bit smoother around town and have about 1/4" extra clearance. Stock springs are not a bad option either unless you want to drop the car more than about .5". I'd give sam a call if you are planning on going though him for your parts.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Byunspeed do u have a picture of your car with the Hotchkis springs?
Old 09-04-2011, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

For now the main application is drag racing. But I do drive the car to school (4 minutes away, not necessary just for kicks). I don't care about how stiff the ride is though, just worried about clearance issues if I lowered the springs. Yeah my current suspension is stock and very worn, losing alot of power because of it at the track. In the future we might put the car through some road course, which is why i didn't want to lean towards the drag specific setups. Just took a look at the ground control kits, I am starting to lean towards coil over as it seems to have the most adjustability and cross platform functionality. Guess i'll search for opinions on coil-over setups, if not start a new thread.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:31 AM
Restricted User

My car is lowered a good 1 and 1/2 incehs all the way around and I have pacesetter lt's. They scrap speed bumps and really bad high spots on the highway lol. Actually my headers don't scrap just my exhaust hanger has. And it is grinded down from all the scrapping lol
Old 09-04-2011, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Camaroking1996
Byunspeed do u have a picture of your car with the Hotchkis springs?
x2, I would also like to see this car!
Old 09-04-2011, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Strano springs and kooks headers here, my headers have never scraped once. It's always the cats on the y-pipe that scrape, like a lot lol. But the headers themselves have never scraped...props to Kooks for making the perfect headers!
Old 09-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Teching In

I'm running longtubes and almost 2 inches lower then stock. I can't go over speed bumps but other then that no scarping. Just gotta be a lot more aware of the roads your driving on!
Old 09-04-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BBK LT's and stranos... my headers have never scraped (yet). I also don't drive over speed bumps though, and leave driveways at an angle. I have, barely scraped my Y pipe once with 2 passengers on a railroad track, but thats it.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

eibach pro kit/kooks. havent scraped on anything yet.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:11 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

How bad you scrape is really going to depend on the header design since some header brands sit lower than others. Most springs will drop the car around the same - 1.25-inches - and this should leave room for your headers. From that point on it's about how well your headers tuck under the car.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 09-07-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running Pacesetter longtubes, with TSP duals dumped on BMR springs and no issues. Good clearance.

Quick Reply: Longtubes and lowering springs..