Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What suspsension setupid do i need???

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question What suspsension setupid do i need???

Ok guys, I dont really want to lower my car at all...but after 185K miles on the old girl its bout that time to replace the shocks and springs. I dont want the car to be lowered because the roads here are that great and at school theyve got big ol speed bumps. Anyway what woudl yall recommend. And also what kind of Torque arm would be good because i see adjustable and double adjustable and non adjustable sooo yeah help a nooobie out here.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh and im really liking the QA1 setup, I dont know why i just do....any help info would be appreciated.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaos07
Oh and im really liking the QA1 setup, I dont know why i just do....any help info would be appreciated.
You never said what you are really looking for out of a different setup. Do you want a better ride? Better handling? Better launch?
QA1s may be decent for launching (but so is your worn out suspension), but are horrible for ride or handling(they are drag shocks after all), especially for the money.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well i want a better ride and good handling. I dont really race to much so Launch wouldnt really be a big issue for me....
Old 09-06-2011, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well i want a better ride and good handling. I dont really race to much so Launch wouldnt really be a big issue for me....
Then stay away from drag shocks like QA1, Afco, Strange, and cheap autozone replacements like monroe. All will ride rough, and handle terrible.
You want a sport shock like Bilstien, KYB AGX, Koni, Edlebrock (or if you want to spend big money you can get a high end custom valved shock like Penske).
No one makes a stock height aftermarket spring, so you can stick with the stock ones as long as they are not sagging.
Check out stranoparts.com, and give him a call if you want, you will get the more knowledge out of him than any other sponsor on here.
This kind of thing is covered practically every week, you can do a search and find more info if you want.

Oh yeah and the torque arm, what are you trying to change with that? Thats another item that helps with launching.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok ill look at what you said, but yeah the torque arm i would want to get one but i have no idea which one to get with all the adjustable this and that stuff out there haha
Old 09-06-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok ill look at what you said, but yeah the torque arm i would want to get one but i have no idea which one to get with all the adjustable this and that stuff out there haha
Im asking what makes you want a torque arm? Are you getting wheel hop?
Im asking to see if its necessary, or could you be spending your money on something else that will get you better gains on what you want. -So what are you looking to improve by buying a torque arm?
Quick run down though:
Non-adjustable: Just a stronger unit than stock, bolts right in.
Adjustable: allows you to adjust your pinion angle which can be thrown off by lowering the car.
Short/chassis mounted: for drag racers, may gain you traction but you risk wheel hop under hard braking.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is just something i could possibly need down the line with future upgrades, built LQ9 and new tranny n rear end... just wanna make sure all the power gets to where it needs to be. Thanks for the info i looked at the Hotckins springs and they only drop about an inch so thats good i dont wanna go lower than that. and struts i will probably use Bilstiens

Quick Reply: What suspsension setupid do i need???