Any mechanics in here I need help with my truck!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 09:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any mechanics in here I need help with my truck!

I need to go to work the wifes already gone the ss is under construction and I daily drive mu 01 dodge ram 1500 I went to start it this morning and I had no power to absolutely anything I put the truck in neutral and let it roll back and gauhe cluster lit up I put it in park and started it then it died and have no power to anything again? I checked cables to battery to starter and fuses. I have no clue what the hell it is but nothing in the truck has any sort of power whatsoever.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Silly question... did you check the battery itself? Break out your DMM and check the B+ voltage.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Pull your battery cables off the battery, clean them and re-install. Sounds like you are not getting a good ground.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:40 AM
11 Second Club

The battery is good ive pulled the cables and reinstalled also its crazy cause nothing freakin works the head lights dnt even work
Old 09-07-2011, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just checking the cables isn't enough. Ohmmeter/resistance and visual checks won't tell you jack... if the cable even has one or two good strands of copper, it'll show continuity on an ohmmeter. Time to check voltage drop on B+ and (-) cables while installed and under load. Touch your DMM to each end of the B+ and the (-) cables, then crank the ignition. If the voltage drop reading is >0.5v you've problems in the cables. For the truck to have absolutely no power at all like that, the voltage drop would have to be extreme (like... 7-8v, if not higher). It's gotta be something close to the battery - a bad ground, bad fuse/link, a wire that got cut or maybe some wildlife climbed up into the engine bay and chewed up a wire overnight... for no power to get through at all.

Break out a Haynes/Chilton manual and follow the circuit diagram... gonna have to get nasty with the DMM and trace power flow until you find the culprit.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Launching!

^^^i think this guy has done this before lol he sounds smart tho...id do wat he said!
Old 09-07-2011, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

Welll I figured it out guys changed out a couple of relays and voila perfect thanks for the input though I appreciate it.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Yea what BlueStreak said its gotta be a bad cable and when it does actualy start back up its gonna run like crap so you might have to keep a foot on the gas alittle till the computer resets itself atleast thats the way my buddys 01 dodge ram is!