Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What i planned on using as restrictor plate

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 12:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What i planned on using as restrictor plate

SO this is what im thinking of using for a restrictor plate. I found it on ebay. And i plan to just put as far back inside the filter and use a second sip tie with the truck intake. Or i though about getting another silicone coupler, But it seems to fit in there good. And thinking this will work.

Also figure i would try it out the size it is. And see where it put me for boost. If i need to go bigger, I can open it up. But if i need to go smaller. I figured i would just cut a round piece of sheet metal. And install it in the center. And mount with a screw. But im open for feedback and thoughts. thanks

Oh and the reason im doing this is because im putting an f1a on my stock bottom end tell i can get my other motor built. And ill be running the biggest pulley procharger makes. 5.25

Old 09-14-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

why do you need to do that? seems like a dumb idea. Put the right size pulley on and call it a day
Old 09-14-2011, 11:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm guessing he doesn't want to spend extra money on different size pulley's.

Seems like a disaster waiting to happen to me. Buy the size pulley you need for now. Since you won't be able to use all the boost that F1A is capable of delivering until you build your motor you have no need for the biggest pulley they make.

How much are pulleys?
Old 09-14-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

He said he's using the biggest pulley he can get. A restictor blocks airflow into the blower this will allow the blower to.move less air. Its common for guys who want to maintain boost levels but pickup spool.

You can always try mounting a wastegate on the blower piping.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Banned

Exactly. Using the biggest size pulley. Biggest pulley = Lowest boost. And why a disaster?
And i have thought about a wastegate. This just seems easier. Plus when i get my new motor done i can just remove the plate.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:07 PM
10 Second Club

Ahh sorry when you said biggest pulley I had biggest amount of boost envisioned in my mind. I admit to knowing very little to nothing on pro-charger set-ups or supercharger set-ups in general. It makes sense for spooling quicker.

The disaster I spoke of came from visions of driving over your oil pan after overboosting the motor
Old 09-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Banned

Its all good. That's what i figured when you said i didn't need the biggest pulley.
But thanks for the feedback.. Looking for any i can get.
Im hopping i wont have to use it all that long anyhow. And just get my other motor built. But thinking its going to be close to a year realistically.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:48 PM
10 Second Club

I understand now, it's a big *** blower, and running it on 5psi is going to not be fun at lower to mid rpm's until 4500rpm or higher. Running it at 10psi on the headunit but only allowing your motor to see 5 psi and getting the added benefits of getting the 5psi your motor can handle faster.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:56 PM
Restricted User

Wont this make it cavitate?
Old 09-14-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Wont this make it cavitate?
Or make the blower heat up and strain alot more than its supposed to? Its like putting your hand over the hose on the vacuum cleaner for a long time, it heats up the motor alot. I think a pulley is cheaper than risking damaging a head unit. I would pm Bob at Brute speed and see what he says.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Banned

As stated before. Im have the largest pulley they make the 5.25 pulley. It isn't that i dont want to buy a pulley... I wish they made a bigger one.

And actually there are some people who run them just to bring on more boost early. And swear by them.

But i would imagine that it will make it run a lil warmer.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ECS (East Coast Supercharger) successfully uses them on their customers Corvettes. What you have though looks too restrictive, which would create too much heat and could cause belt slippage. Check out this link, and there is a picture of their restrictor plate about halfway down. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-f...-question.html Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 09-14-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FlipediS
As stated before. Im have the largest pulley they make the 5.25 pulley. It isn't that i dont want to buy a pulley... I wish they made a bigger one.

And actually there are some people who run them just to bring on more boost early. And swear by them.

But i would imagine that it will make it run a lil warmer.
What boost are you wanting? I assume 5-8? I had never heard of doing this and after reading more about it i thinks it's interesting. Does it really bring the boost in earlier? I wonder how it does this?
Old 09-14-2011, 09:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
ECS (East Coast Supercharger) successfully uses them on their customers Corvettes. What you have though looks too restrictive, which would create too much heat and could cause belt slippage. Check out this link, and there is a picture of their restrictor plate about halfway down. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-f...-question.html Bob
Thanks as always bob. I actually emailed them after the first time you told me about it. To ask them how much for restrictor plate. they told me to just make one lol.. So ill do that. Now that i see about what size it is. I revived the blower cam today. And im going o go ahead and i install that as well to help lower boots. Before i install the procharger.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
What boost are you wanting? I assume 5-8? I had never heard of doing this and after reading more about it i thinks it's interesting. Does it really bring the boost in earlier? I wonder how it does this?
ya somewhere around there. Would like to keep the motor alive if possible until i can finish my other build
Old 09-15-2011, 02:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Alot of the corvette guys run them. Also it allows you to simply and quickly increase the boost presure your supercharger can produce if you have two tunes or a can of C16!

Cant see how a restrictor plate is going to cause ANY problems. thinking about it it will acutally reduce the load on the SC. Think of it like putting you hand over the nozel of the vacume cleaner (yeah that noicey thing you lady / mother might use. lol) the motor speed actually increases, ie there is leess load on the motor. dont forget to load anything up its got to be moveing / doing something. you cant move a vacume!

Chris.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:42 AM
FormerVendor

I see no issue with a restrictor as some have mentioned here. There is always the option of a smaller filter or smaller crank pulley.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Larry @ AMS
I see no issue with a restrictor as some have mentioned here. There is always the option of a smaller filter or smaller crank pulley.
Hes very ture. Im already running the SDCE crank pulley. I believe its a little bit smaller then one that prochager uses
Old 09-15-2011, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

why not just leave that bag on the air filter
Old 09-15-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Or make the blower heat up and strain alot more than its supposed to? Its like putting your hand over the hose on the vacuum cleaner for a long time, it heats up the motor alot. I think a pulley is cheaper than risking damaging a head unit. I would pm Bob at Brute speed and see what he says.

The strain is actually less, this is why the motor speeds up. It heats up because there is more motor speed and less cooling air getting to the motor. This won't be a factor in a blower.

If you aren't pumping as much air, you are doing less work.

Quick Reply: What i planned on using as restrictor plate