Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Raced a new 5.0 from a dig with vids.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 03:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raced a new 5.0 from a dig with vids.

I had raced a new 5.0 on the freeway, and lost. I thought in my head, maybe from a dig it could be a good race. It turns out I was right.......but I can honestly say the mustang has the edge in a drivers race at the top end. My 99 SS has a lid and catback with stock 3.42 gears. The 5.0 I raced had a Bama tune, full exhaust, CAI, and stock 3.55 gears.

The first race, I flat out missed third gear, and I was pedaling right from the start......driver error. Oh well. His Mustang was pretty stout and he would have beat me by about 3 if I had hit third. **** happens.

http://youtu.be/OT0LaCbRSnE

The second race, I got a great launch and pulled him by 2 cars, then he missed third. However I can honestly say, if he hadn't missed third he probably would have beat me by a car. Yes I am stating AS AN LS1 owner, he probably would have beat me. Sorry about the short video, my gf is still learning how to record and when he saw him let off, she stopped the video. If he would have hit 3 gear, it would have been a hell of a race.

http://youtu.be/HfqBXRrVWvc

We went back to the gas station, and another 5.0 pulled up. So of course I yell, wanna run that thing? He said why not. His car had exhaust and 3.73's with a 6 speed. I ran him, and he beat me by 3 (no video it was at a street light, and I didn't hook for ****). Then he raced the other 5.0 and they had a close race. The 3.73 geared Mustang beat the other Mustang by half a car. Once again, I am retarded and didn't record the damn thing (sorry guys). We all went back, and bullshitted for a bit. The guy with the 3.73 geared Mustang turned out to be a cop, but he was cool. The Mustang I raced in the video's is moving back to Texas as I type this, so it looks like I won't get to race him again.

Cliffnotes: Ran a new 5.0, lost the first race missed third gear. Ran him again, won because he missed third gear. It can be a drivers race, with an edge going to the Mustang.

Can't wait to put some long tubes, ORY pipe, magnaflow catback, LS6 intake, monster clutch, and get it tuned by NicD. I should be able to not only leave the new 5.0, but stay in front of them.........

Last edited by SM105K; 09-14-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SM105K
I had raced a new 5.0 on the freeway, and lost. I thought in my head, maybe from a dig it could be a good race. It turns out I was right.......but I can honestly say the mustang has the edge in a drivers race at the top end. My 99 SS has a lid and catback with stock 3.42 gears. The 5.0 I raced had a Bama tune, full exhaust, CAI, and stock 3.55 gears.

The first race, I flat out missed third gear, and I was pedaling right from the start......driver error. Oh well. His Mustang was pretty stout and he would have beat me by about 3 if I had hit third. **** happens.

http://youtu.be/OT0LaCbRSnE

The second race, I got a great launch and pulled him by 2 cars, then he missed third. However I can honestly say, if he hadn't missed third he probably would have beat me by a car. Yes I am stating AS AN LS1 owner, he probably would have beat me. Sorry about the short video, my gf is still learning how to record and when he saw him let off, she stopped the video. If he would have hit 3 gear, it would have been a hell of a race.

http://youtu.be/HfqBXRrVWvc

We went back to the gas station, and another 5.0 pulled up. So of course I yell, wanna run that thing? He said why not. His car had exhaust and 3.73's with a 6 speed. I ran him, and he beat me by 3 (no video it was at a street light, and I didn't hook for ****). Then he raced the other 5.0 and they had a close race. The 3.73 geared Mustang beat the other Mustang by half a car. Once again, I am retarded and didn't record the damn thing (sorry guys). We all went back, and bullshitted for a bit. The guy with the 3.73 geared Mustang turned out to be a cop, but he was cool. The Mustang I raced in the video's is moving back to Texas as I type this, so it looks like I won't get to race him again.

Cliffnotes: Ran a new 5.0, lost the first race missed third gear. Ran him again, won because he missed third gear. It can be a drivers race, with an edge going to the Mustang.

Can't wait to put some long tubes, ORY pipe, magnaflow catback, LS6 intake, monster clutch, and get it tuned by NicD. I should be able to not only leave the new 5.0, but stay in front of them.........

I bet an auto with a decent stall and good tires would have put up a good/better fight and possibly even win. At least you had fun!
Old 09-14-2011, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wav3form
I bet an auto with a decent stall and good tires would have put up a good/better fight and possibly even win. At least you had fun!
I agree with that statement.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

NIce runs. But I can honestly say if he has them mods as in full exhaust ie Long tube headers back it is not a drivers race with a cat back/lid 99 SS. From the dig his biggest issue is launching the manual. Its a no go on street tires.

I have the mods he has minus gears., I have steeper. But I raced a full bolt on WS6 that had some weight reduction also. Both on DR's and destroyed him. He posted it here as well. He asked me to run here.

Drivers equal manual to manual it will take you a cam plus bolt ons to beat a basically full bolt on 5.0. Sorry.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/street-ra...hioborn80.html
Old 09-14-2011, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

I believe he has a roush intake as well.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good races. I would be pretty damn proud of myself if I beat a new 5.0 with my lid/CB SS lol.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
NIce runs. But I can honestly say if he has them mods as in full exhaust ie Long tube headers back it is not a drivers race with a cat back/lid 99 SS. From the dig his biggest issue is launching the manual. Its a no go on street tires.

I have the mods he has minus gears., I have steeper. But I raced a full bolt on WS6 that had some weight reduction also. Both on DR's and destroyed him. He posted it here as well. He asked me to run here.

Drivers equal manual to manual it will take you a cam plus bolt ons to beat a basically full bolt on 5.0. Sorry.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/street-ra...hioborn80.html
I understand what you are saying, stock to stock it is a drivers race. Modded to Modded who knows what happens....that is the beauty of the street.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by aAZz
We both agreed that it was pretty much a draw. It sucks he is moving to Texas though......would have been fun at the track.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
Good races. I would be pretty damn proud of myself if I beat a new 5.0 with my lid/CB SS lol.
Yeah, I can just imagine what it will do with full bolts on, cam, and tune. Should be fun.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Yea sucks I wanted 2 get a run wit him 2 but my car won't be done by the time he leaves. By the way a local board is having a dyno day on the 1st 40 dollars for 3 pulls I believe if ur interested
Old 09-14-2011, 04:19 PM
10 Second Club

I understand what you are saying, stock to stock it is a drivers race. Modded to Modded who knows what happens....that is the beauty of the street.
So a stock 99' SS 325hp is a drivers race with a 11' 5.0 412hp?

A mid 13 sec car stock vs a car that driver depending can go mid 12 pretty easy. HMMMM

If you say so.

Where is he moving to in TX?
Old 09-14-2011, 04:21 PM
10 Second Club

Tell him to get rid of it. They are junk. The worse one on the market. SOme reason only one that don't require a tune to have. HMMM
Old 09-14-2011, 04:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

So a stock 99' SS 325hp is a drivers race with a 11' 5.0 412hp?

A mid 13 sec car stock vs a car that driver depending can go mid 12 pretty easy. HMMMM

If you say so.
Factory ratings? Seriously? The ls1 is 345hp an lots of fbodies are lighter than the weights I'm seeing claimed by 5.0 owners.

I wouldn't call it a driver's race but I would call bullshit on "mid 12s pretty easy". Easy being the key word...not saying it doesn't happen but bone stock if it were "easy" there wouldn't be so many in the bottom 13s either. EDIT: and I'm not talking about the complete retard drivers in the mid 13s or slower
Old 09-14-2011, 05:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Factory ratings? Seriously? The ls1 is 345hp an lots of fbodies are lighter than the weights I'm seeing claimed by 5.0 owners.

I wouldn't call it a driver's race but I would call bullshit on "mid 12s pretty easy". Easy being the key word...not saying it doesn't happen but bone stock if it were "easy" there wouldn't be so many in the bottom 13s either. EDIT: and I'm not talking about the complete retard drivers in the mid 13s or slower
They can rate it at 325ho and it be 345. Still dont matter. As far as weight all depends on what trim level you have. MIne weighed in at 3560 stock. Day I got it. Took and put on scale. I know a buddies car weighed almsot 3800 but he had loaded with glass roof I have a base.

I guess same can be said for all cars. How many has people seen not run what they shoudl or could. Every car has its capable of and then what it runs at this track or that track.

The 5.0 is a mid 12 car with some higher 12's. And occasional 13s sure. Fbody 99 SS what mid 13 with high 13 and some occasional 14s.

We talking real numbers. Even if look at best of SS went what 12.8 or 12.9 with DR/slicks's compared to 12.1 for 5.0. Still not a drivers race.

new SS and 5.0 is much better as a drivers race.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:26 PM
11 Second Club

They can rate it at 325ho and it be 345. Still dont matter. As far as weight all depends on what trim level you have. MIne weighed in at 3560 stock. Day I got it. Took and put on scale. I know a buddies car weighed almsot 3800 but he had loaded with glass roof I have a base.

I guess same can be said for all cars. How many has people seen not run what they shoudl or could. Every car has its capable of and then what it runs at this track or that track.

The 5.0 is a mid 12 car with some higher 12's. And occasional 13s sure. Fbody 99 SS what mid 13 with high 13 and some occasional 14s.

We talking real numbers. Even if look at best of SS went what 12.8 or 12.9 with DR/slicks's compared to 12.1 for 5.0. Still not a drivers race.

new SS and 5.0 is much better as a drivers race.
If you can get any of the new SS drivers to race, and I disagree. Most drivers with a new 5.0 go low 13's in the 1/4, sure there are some that will go 12's. I could care less about track numbers, I run on the street. In my mind on the street a stock SS/Z28 vs a new stock 5.0 is a driver's race.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Well driven 98-02 SS's are mid to 13's....occasionally high 12's and that's not really uncommen ....not mid to high 13's.
Looks like both could us the driver mod in this race.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Well driven 98-02 SS's are mid to 13's....occasionally high 12's and that's not really uncommen ....not mid to high 13's.
Looks like both could us the driver mod in this race.
I agree, rowing from 2nd to 3rd gear with a stock shifter sucks in this car........another thing to add to the list.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:33 PM
11 Second Club

Yea sucks I wanted 2 get a run wit him 2 but my car won't be done by the time he leaves. By the way a local board is having a dyno day on the 1st 40 dollars for 3 pulls I believe if ur interested
It is on the AZfullthrottle board? Yeah I would be interested in it. When is your car going to be done? Wouldn't mind running it.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:40 PM
10 Second Club

If you can get any of the new SS drivers to race, and I disagree. Most drivers with a new 5.0 go low 13's in the 1/4, sure there are some that will go 12's. I could care less about track numbers, I run on the street. In my mind on the street a stock SS/Z28 vs a new stock 5.0 is a driver's race.
LOL...if you say so its a 13 sec car. I know what I ran in mine. And it was no where close to 13's stock. Or was the other 4 of my buddies. Or the ones I have seen posted all over modularford/s197..ya there is a few guys that ran 13 there first time out. They all went back and did 12.7-12.9 after that. SOme other have went from 12.2-12.6 as well. Guess they all just lucky

And on the street biggest issue with the 5.0 is still tarction. When I test drove one I turned traction control off and roasted the tires threw 1-2 and into 3rd. SOme reaosn Ford thinks Perelli's are the best tire in the world and so are 235 sized tires.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:55 PM
11 Second Club

LOL...if you say so its a 13 sec car. I know what I ran in mine. And it was no where close to 13's stock. Or was the other 4 of my buddies. Or the ones I have seen posted all over modularford/s197..ya there is a few guys that ran 13 there first time out. They all went back and did 12.7-12.9 after that. SOme other have went from 12.2-12.6 as well. Guess they all just lucky

And on the street biggest issue with the 5.0 is still tarction. When I test drove one I turned traction control off and roasted the tires threw 1-2 and into 3rd. SOme reaosn Ford thinks Perelli's are the best tire in the world and so are 235 sized tires.
Like I have said, I don't care what the 5.0 does at the track. I run on the street. Traction is everything, like you admitted. If you are spinning 1st, 2nd, and into 3rd on the street, you are losing to me. Not everyone is a pro racer like you and your boys........

Quick Reply: Raced a new 5.0 from a dig with vids.