Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

why is my car shaking??

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why is my car shaking??

Ok so I have a 99z and just got lowered,put new shocks and panhard bar so the shop I took it to told me I didn't need an alinement car drives straight doesn't pull but on my home I noticed the car shaking as I accelrated more noticeable after 60-70 mph does anyone know why this is happening I also just swapped rims so I took them to get balanced and it helped quite a bit on them shaking. Wht do u think it is or should do

Last edited by Fmunguia; 09-14-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

I'm assuming this isn't making the steering wheel shimmy therefore I'll say this: Often after lowering the car your pinion angle will be off unless you have an adjustable torque arm. The tail of the transmission doesn't move, but now your rear is tucked higher in the car so the angle of the driveshaft in relation to the two isn't the same anymore. The angle on both sides of the driveshaft need to cancel out each other because u-joints don't spin at a constant speed. I had this problem in my old car.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

I'm curious with this also. After a trip to Charlotte. My front right wheel would start to have a wobble feel.to it. Some what vibrate. I have to get my lug nuts cracked so I can do my brakes. I'm tossing it.up to a possible warped rotor. But I'm open to ideas.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by technical
I'm assuming this isn't making the steering wheel shimmy therefore I'll say this: Often after lowering the car your pinion angle will be off unless you have an adjustable torque arm. The tail of the transmission doesn't move, but now your rear is tucked higher in the car so the angle of the driveshaft in relation to the two isn't the same anymore. The angle on both sides of the driveshaft need to cancel out each other because u-joints don't spin at a constant speed. I had this problem in my old car.
So wht is the solution to my problem aligment or??
Old 09-14-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

The only way I know of to adjust the pinion angle is an adjustable torque arm assuming this truly is your problem. Does your steering wheel shimmy much or does the shaking more pronounced near the shifter?
Old 09-14-2011, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

The only way I know of to adjust the pinion angle is an adjustable torque arm assuming this truly is your problem. Does your steering wheel shimmy much or does the shaking more pronounced near the shifter?
It's an auto but the wheel was moving alot more before I got the tires balanced again but it does still move alittle but it feels like the whole car moves not only the front

Last edited by Fmunguia; 09-14-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:05 AM
11 Second Club

"and just got lowered,"this would totaly change the alignment so you Need alignment, if the alignment is off a lot you would be draging/scuffing the tire side ways, THIS may cause your ptoblem
"Often after lowering the car your pinion angle will be off" if angle is off THIS may cause your problem
"and panhard bar " is this adjustably? you may need to center the rear under car, do not think this would cause your problem
Johnny
Old 09-15-2011, 04:54 AM
Teching In

The rims you bought are they new or used, reason for asking if used one could possibly be warped causing this issue. I would get a alinment because something has to be out of spec IMO.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fmunguia
Ok so I have a 99z and just got lowered,put new shocks and panhard bar so the shop I took it to told me I didn't need an alinement car drives straight doesn't pull but on my home I noticed the car shaking as I accelrated more noticeable after 60-70 mph does anyone know why this is happening I also just swapped rims so I took them to get balanced and it helped quite a bit on them shaking. Wht do u think it is or should do

Typical "toe and go" shop......Don't EVER go back there, if you want your car done right.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Any ideas on why my front right tire would wobble? Besides being off balance. I drove over really shitty roads in Charlotte. After that. Is when it started. Sorry I don't mean to hijack.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS SLP2
"and just got lowered,"this would totaly change the alignment so you Need alignment, if the alignment is off a lot you would be draging/scuffing the tire side ways, THIS may cause your ptoblem
"Often after lowering the car your pinion angle will be off" if angle is off THIS may cause your problem
"and panhard bar " is this adjustably? you may need to center the rear under car, do not think this would cause your problem
Johnny
Ok I going to take it to get an aligment and yes the panhard bar I ajustable will the aligment shop Aline the rear as well
Old 09-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jasons50
The rims you bought are they new or used, reason for asking if used one could possibly be warped causing this issue. I would get a alinment because something has to be out of spec IMO.
Yes they were used I got the the front tires balanced they were off after Balancing it got a little better so I'm going to get it aligned today and c if it helps
Old 09-15-2011, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Typical "toe and go" shop......Don't EVER go back there, if you want your car done right.
This shop is pretty legit I think they make parts for camaros and mustangs they told me it's didn't need to b aligned cuz it drove straight but I haven't talked to them about the shaking they were closed wen I was going home
Old 09-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so I talked to the guys from the shop and they told me it could b the pion is off but highly unlikely since it wasn't a drastic drop I lowered my car bout an 1" 1/2 and they told me it could either b the tires or the tire spacers I have in the rear I had tires spaces for my c5zs and they still on there after the rim swap so they offered to take em off for me and c wht happens can spacers cause vibration?
Old 09-15-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This shop is pretty legit I think they make parts for camaros and mustangs they told me it's didn't need to b aligned cuz it drove straight but I haven't talked to them about the shaking they were closed wen I was going home
"Driving straight" is NOT the only criteria for a car being properly aligned!

For example, the toe can be OK, the caster be OK, but the camber be 2* positive...which is NOT OK, but the car will drive pretty straight. Or, the camber can be OK, the caster be OK, but each wheel "toed-out" 1/4", which is NOT OK, but again, the car will go reasonably straight. In both examples, the car WON'T handle correctly, but it will go reasonably straight, so THAT ALONE, doesn't define proper alignment....
Old 09-15-2011, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question

Interesting. Is this something a Watts Link helps address as well?

Old 09-15-2011, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Interesting. Is this something a Watts Link helps address as well?
No. A watts link really won't affect the pinion angle.

Ok so I talked to the guys from the shop and they told me it could b the pion is off but highly unlikely since it wasn't a drastic drop I lowered my car bout an 1" 1/2 and they told me it could either b the tires or the tire spacers I have in the rear I had tires spaces for my c5zs and they still on there after the rim swap so they offered to take em off for me and c wht happens can spacers cause vibration?
I wouldn't call 1-1/2" drop *drastic* but it is significant. Wheel spacers *could* be your problem, but I get the impression you had these spacers on before the shaking problem occurred. Of course it's easy to remove them and see what happens.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:44 AM
Staging Lane

No. A watts link really won't affect the pinion angle.

I wouldn't call 1-1/2" drop *drastic* but it is significant. Wheel spacers *could* be your problem, but I get the impression you had these spacers on before the shaking problem occurred. Of course it's easy to remove them and see what happens.
Ok so I took off the spacers help alittle then I got the rear balanced and help also still have a bit of a shake but nothin like before going to get the car aligned and c wht happens from there
Old 09-17-2011, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

So I'm thinking the problem is coming from the rear I'm not getting any steering wheel shake and it seems it's coming from the rear since the front doesn't really shake Anyone??
Old 09-19-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

So I'm thinking the problem is coming from the rear I'm not getting any steering wheel shake and it seems it's coming from the rear since the front doesn't really shake Anyone??
I have a thought.

Quick Reply: why is my car shaking??