Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

true dual exhaust help

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default true dual exhaust help

I have been looking for about an hour now for true duals throughout the web and am having trouble finding any. I would like to know of any websites. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here are some pretty mean sounding ones, I'm gonna go with the 3 in. X pipe with 12 in. bullets. Hope this helps.Lane's wheels
Old 03-06-2004, 11:10 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are you looking for a prefabbed setup or just supplies? TTP is working on an dual package and ls1speed has duals also. you can pick up supplies to do a dual setup from jegs or summit as well. either way duals are all custom for our cars.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

on lanes performance site it says that the duals are not allowed for street use. Are there any that are ok to use on the street.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99SSCamaro
on lanes performance site it says that the duals are not allowed for street use. Are there any that are ok to use on the street.
Haha... you can't legally remove your cats either. Do people? Hell yeah they do. Lane's puts that on as a disclaimer to keep themselves from getting in trouble.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:45 PM
Banned

I don't know of any laws regarding single vs true dual exhausts. That might be a protective disclaimer, who knows. It's most common to have a TD system custom built. If you can find someone who can fab pipes it can be very economical.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

most states have alaw where the exhaust has to mimic the factory equipement...Cough bullshit cough. i think of it this way, without aftermarket parts, cars dont get any faster, cops can pull us over and make money. mods feed the beasts...they feed our need for speed, and they feed the wallets of the police and town you live resulting directly from our need for speed....ahhh good ol' food chains.

honestly if you are worried about police, add cats into the x pipe and make sure you have a set of mufflers. most cops wouldn't give you too much **** as long as you are keeping the air clean and your exhaust is at a "tolerable level" as one cop put it to me. rule of thumb,, just dont be a dumbass and drive like a royal focker, and they'll usually leave you alone.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:50 AM
Launching!

Funny thing, I just posted a related item about marketing a larger intermendiate pipe. There is a true dual exhaust for F-bodies, but it is very expensive. I have been speaking with a 20 year veteran in exhaust, he owns his own Meineke shop, about marketing a true dual exhaust. He is very willing to donate the initial fitting, and of course, working with me, to find some resellers on the site, to market an inexpensive true dual exhaust.

Most already have headers, and those usually are 3". As you probably know, you don't need true 3" duals until you approach 500HP. (I know, there are quite a few F-bodies doing it, naturally aspirated even, just look at the latest Chevy High Performance. I can't beleive Joe Jill's Superior Automotive, (they won Popular Hotrodding Challenge) 545.4HP and 529 ft lbs of torque at 5800rpm from only a 383 LS1 stroker!!!)

What I would like to know is the following. Would you want 3" duals with chambered exhaust behind the axle, or 2 3/4" duals with a real dual in dual out muffler, like the earlier f-bodies did it? Input anyone? Of course, if we do this, I will wholesale only, and you will buy it through existing site sponsors. I just need to know demand. I think aluminized is fine, just to hold cost down, but weigh in on that too, if you have an opinion.
I might even opt for only one way, with chambered mufflers (they are about $45 wholesale) OR maybe even with QTP electronic exhaust cutouts TOO!
What do you think?
Old 03-07-2004, 01:10 AM
TECH Resident

I remember reading an article in one of the hi-performance magazines...HOTROD or CAR CRAFT I can't remember which, about this very thing. I remember the article stating true dual exhaust consisting of 2.5 inch mandrel-bent pipe flows the same amount as a single 3 inch mandrel-bent pipe. The problem lies in the muffler/s. For the single 3 inch pipe to match the flow of the duals the muffler MUST be extremely free flowing.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:46 AM
Launching!

Default True duals are there, but you can get more HP for the buck elsewhere

I should have mentioned what is available now. I hope they are a supporter here, if not, someone can this. That is www.ls1speed.com. Check it out.
http://www.ls1speed.com/catagory.cfm?catagory=exhaust

My original driving force behind my frustration, was cost, options, etc. There just isn't any choices because frankly, clearance IS an issue. Check them out, I think there prices are nuts. But, they have to make a profit.

I hope to, at a minimum, solve the SLP LT header problem, with a too small of an intermediate pipe. For those of us who like the dual/dual exhaust we paid extra for on our SS Camaro, Firehawks, or Ram Airs.

We may end up with a full dual dual system too. The data is being gathered next week and stored in a custom CNC machined exhaust system. IF we can come up with base material, that will allow us to price this stuff reasonably, then I will take some prototypes with us on the Hot Rod Power Tour to get customer input. Then we will make a decision if it makes any sense to try and sell it to the forum retailers. But again, if we cannot make it affordable, (like $500 or less for true duals, with chambered slim inlines) we will not do it. Frankly, you can get more HP for the buck elsewhere, and that is what we all really care about.