inspection questions - will blackouts pass? what about no front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inspection questions - will blackouts pass? what about no front license plate?

I am about to get inspected, and don't have on a front license plate, and have blackout tailights. Will they not pass me if I have not front license plate and blackouts on my taillights?
Old 09-15-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didnt have a plate on front and all my markers are VHT'd dark. I passed.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:52 PM
Launching!

i took my car to 3 places and they freaked over the lights/side markers. gotta find a 'secret shop'
Old 09-15-2011, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

Also had blacked out my car with now front license plates and it passed. Guess u would have to find a place
Old 09-15-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah some will pass the lights some wont and the same with the license plate. just find an inspector that will pass you.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:48 AM
AGH
Staging Lane

The only problem with that is they want you to pay first. Then if you don't pass you don't get your money back. I played that game already twice.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:10 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by XtremeBBQ
i took my car to 3 places and they freaked over the lights/side markers. gotta find a 'secret shop'
me too, i went to 5 shops till I finally got inspected, now I know 2 spots that are legit to pass me

Originally Posted by AGH
The only problem with that is they want you to pay first. Then if you don't pass you don't get your money back. I played that game already twice.
Just walk in and say, will you pass me or not. all my shops said yeah or no and didn't charge me a bit. My friend did 6 shops that way and never paid a dime. So if your getting charged your getting screwed!

The state is broke so they are really out and about ticketing people for giving illegal inspections. SO.... it's not as easy to find em anymore.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:52 AM
Launching!

I have a spot I've been going to for years. It may cost me a little extra, but it's worth it to get passed without any worries.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ekshail
I have a spot I've been going to for years. It may cost me a little extra, but it's worth it to get passed without any worries.
yeah have heard about those, but I'm referring to places that will do it for the same price (actually I got my last one done for free)
Old 09-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Domsz06
yeah have heard about those, but I'm referring to places that will do it for the same price (actually I got my last one done for free)
You suck.

I guess I need to step my game up.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Teching In

you do not have to have a license plate on the front or rear of a car to pass texas state inspection....

tinted lights, should cause you to fail
Old 09-16-2011, 04:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ekshail
You suck.

I guess I need to step my game up.
can't take all the credit, I met a friend who knew the inspector. It's ok though I still ended up paying 40, cuz i went to this first place and my 02's said they were not ready, but she still charged me, said bring it back and she would pass, well I did and when I came back she noticed my tails, I argued with her and tried to bribe her and still lost

oh well.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I was an inspector for years and never failed anyone for no front plate. I did fail people for tinted tail lights though, that happened dang near every day. The law states that there shall be no paint on the lenses, so tinting them is not legal. Some shops don't care and will just ignore tinted lights. Mine cared.... A LOT. Like, our manager would turn you in to the state for passing a vehicle that shouldn't pass. Extremely ****.

Originally Posted by AGH
That's not a game, it's the law. You aren't paying for the sticker, you are paying for the inspection. The sticker only comes after you pass. If you fail then you have 15 days to bring it back to that location for a free re-inspect. If you wait longer than 15 days then some shops charge you full price for a sticker (again, totally legal). My old shop would usually let a customer by with a month rather than just 15 days, but that's just how the manager ran things.

Just walk in and say, will you pass me or not. all my shops said yeah or no and didn't charge me a bit. My friend did 6 shops that way and never paid a dime. So if your getting charged your getting screwed!
A true inspector who is following the law will not tell you beforehand if you pass or fail. You pay the $14.50 and the inspector will look at your car. It's mostly to save a lot of hassle, there are a lot of times when something obvious is wrong with the car and the inspector will tell the customer to get it fixed and the customer thinks that is all that is needed. Well what if they come back and need the exhaust fixed? That was something that the inspector couldn't see just by glancing at it, and now the customer is pissed because he has more to fix and feels like he has been cheated.

The state is broke so they are really out and about ticketing people for giving illegal inspections. SO.... it's not as easy to find em anymore.
No, it has more to do with the laws being changed so that "dirty" or lazy inspectors don't pass cars that shouldn't pass. It used to be a fine if you were caught either knowingly or unknowingly passing a car that shouldn't pass. Maybe even a suspension of your inspectors license. That all changed last year. You know what happens if an inspector is caught passing a car that he KNOWS shouldn't pass? Automatic two years in jail. No passing go, no collecting two hundred dollars. Straight to jail. If an inspector is caught passing a car out of laziness or ignorance, it's a stiff fine AND your inspectors license is suspended. The guy who represented the state in our county was a DICK when it came to inspections, he'd hide out in cars and watch us inspect vehicles just trying to catch us. Lots of people just don't want to take the risk anymore.

I will say this though, it's so easy to get around inspection laws that it isn't funny.

1.) If your front windows are tinted darker than 25%, just roll them down and take the fuse out. Tell the guy that your window motors are broken and that you keep it in the garage as your "toy" car and rarely take it out. They can't make you roll your windows up if they won't operate.

2.) If you are running straight exhaust, just spend the $50 a pop on some cheap cats and put them on your exhaust and just gut them. That way you pass the visual. If you're in a county that does emissions then just make sure your car is tuned properly and you should be golden. Our motors burn pretty efficiently.

3.) If you have tinted tail lights, just buy an extra set of stock ones to get inspected. Keep them around the house until you get the car inspected and then just throw em on.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Bumping this old one up. You may pass inspection without the front plates but don't let the highway patrol in Texas catch you. They are **** around here for those front plates!!

Originally Posted by tommie
you do not have to have a license plate on the front or rear of a car to pass texas state inspection....

tinted lights, should cause you to fail
Old 09-23-2012, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by scameron
Bumping this old one up. You may pass inspection without the front plates but don't let the highway patrol in Texas catch you. They are **** around here for those front plates!!
Yep, Highway Patrol (DPS) are the only LE agency that seems to care about the front plate. And they aggressively look for it.

I rarely put a front plate on my vehicles and no one has ever mentioned it during a traffic stop except Highway Patrol.

If you are traveling 59 South between Houston and Victoria without a front plate, chances are very good you will get a ticket from DPS.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

They can't stop you for no front plate anymore as far as I know.

http://dallasattorney.com/blog/114-n...ng-key-element
Old 09-24-2012, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They'll pull u over for no front plate as a way to look for other things. But more than likely it'll be a warning.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jake Spoon
Yep, Highway Patrol (DPS) are the only LE agency that seems to care about the front plate. And they aggressively look for it.

I rarely put a front plate on my vehicles and no one has ever mentioned it during a traffic stop except Highway Patrol.

If you are traveling 59 South between Houston and Victoria without a front plate, chances are very good you will get a ticket from DPS.
I have been stopped numerous times by DPS for no front tags..however; I have yet to ever get a ticket. I think the troopers are just using no front tags as pc to make the stop and see if anything else is going on.

Quick Reply: inspection questions - will blackouts pass? what about no front license plate?