Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Do cams harm lifters or vice versa?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 06:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do cams harm lifters or vice versa?

I recently had a cam swap done. The old cam had grooves and pits in it. The springs had been worn out from racing them over 30K miles. Anyway, after the cam swap. The car performed well on the dyno. Now the car has an issue with mV in bankone. The cam and valvesprings were replaced by a professional shop(sponsor). So I'm thinking that's not the issue. THe lifters weren't though. So I'm wondering if the bad lifters could damage the new cam. If not, I can just change the lifters. If so, I have to pulll and buy a new cam too. What do you guys think. It has new plugs and no visible damage to the coil packs. Oddly, though, I don't hear any tapping.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you pulled out a damaged cam i sure would have changed the lifters. not saying thats your problem but something damaged that cam... and theres only 2 things touching it. cam bearings and lifters. before i went chasing stuff though id swap the sensors and see if it stays the same or follows. a o2 sensor could just be going out...
Old 09-17-2011, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the car runs great, sounds great, performs great yet...
Originally Posted by RealLiveMD
Now the car has an issue with mV in bankone.
Can you explain what, exactly, the problem is?
Old 09-18-2011, 01:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShoddyHog
So the car runs great, sounds great, performs great yet...

Can you explain what, exactly, the problem is?
No, the car is a slug. I'm only trapping 110 and my last dyno was 427/415. My tuner says the O2 readings are too low in bank one according to the datalog I sent from hptuners. So, I've been trying to check the possible problems. There is no lifter noise however.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

No, the car is a slug. I'm only trapping 110 and my last dyno was 427/415. My tuner says the O2 readings are too low in bank one according to the datalog I sent from hptuners. So, I've been trying to check the possible problems. There is no lifter noise however.
Ah, I see...then I agree 100% with this:

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
if you pulled out a damaged cam i sure would have changed the lifters. not saying thats your problem but something damaged that cam... and theres only 2 things touching it. cam bearings and lifters. before i went chasing stuff though id swap the sensors and see if it stays the same or follows. a o2 sensor could just be going out...
Post up the log, if you can.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ShoddyHog
Ah, I see...then I agree 100% with this:

Post up the log, if you can.
why would i post a log?
Old 09-18-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

lol...datalog :-)

I was just curious. Since I started using HP Tuners (70,000 miles ago), there has always been a difference in my narrowband O2 readings...so much so that it would throw off my LTFTs. Swapped O2s - same problem. Replaced O2s - same problem. Installed L92 heads - same problem.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cam pic
Attached Thumbnails Do cams harm lifters or vice versa?-094.jpg  
Old 09-18-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

log of a run. with granny shifts
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
full run2.hpl (9.7 KB, 103 views)
Old 09-19-2011, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

I recently had a cam swap done. The old cam had grooves and pits in it. The springs had been worn out from racing them over 30K miles. Anyway, after the cam swap. The car performed well on the dyno. Now the car has an issue with mV in bankone. The cam and valvesprings were replaced by a professional shop(sponsor). So I'm thinking that's not the issue. THe lifters weren't though. So I'm wondering if the bad lifters could damage the new cam. If not, I can just change the lifters. If so, I have to pulll and buy a new cam too. What do you guys think. It has new plugs and no visible damage to the coil packs. Oddly, though, I don't hear any tapping.
Based on the photo provided ... I would have replaced the lifters as well if it was mine. IMO, you should pull the new cam for inspection and replace all your lifters. Hopefully, you cam isn't damaged.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jared H
Based on the photo provided ... I would have replaced the lifters as well if it was mine. IMO, you should pull the new cam for inspection and replace all your lifters. Hopefully, you cam isn't damaged.
I agree with Jared
Old 09-19-2011, 08:22 PM
10 Second Club

That's what my cam looked like when I pulled my stock short block apart after losing number 7. Comp XE-R grind, only ~15k on it, ~58k on the stock lifters however. There were never any signs or issues, car ran awesome, and the lifters themselves looked just fine. It left me wondering...

Quick Reply: Do cams harm lifters or vice versa?