General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Leasing v8 mustang or camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Leasing v8 mustang or camaro

I see the new generation v6 models are being leased.

What about the v8 models?
Old 09-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you want to drive it for awhile or own it? Most people I would think are going to want to own the v8 rather than just leasing it
Old 09-20-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

save the money then purchase it imo
Old 09-20-2011, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can understand Leasing being a more affordable way to drive a new car, but there are mileage restrictions and other terms you have to agree to. With this in mind, it seems to me as though you're giving them your money and can only drive the car with their permission.

And ultimately, why would you wanna spend all that money and have to give the car back?

Just some things to think about.
The following users liked this post:
capelajc (09-18-2023)
Old 09-20-2011, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

The biggest thing that would keep me from leasing a performance car is that at the end of the day its not your car. And I don't know what the terms would be regarding modifying the car or anything like that. And at the end of the day at least for me half the fun of owning a car like this is modifying it a little bit to personalize it to my tastes and knowing that its my car.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks for everyone's input so far and bring up good points.

My situation is that I need a new car since I don't have time to maintain my dd fbody(making career moves).

I don't have means to keep 2 cars (beater and fbody) & personally I'm not a fan of having the fun car for only 1 or 2 days out of week and drive a slow pos for rest of time.

Mileage limitations won't be an issue since my driving will fall right under the cap.

As far as giving money away for a car I won't keep, there's always the "lease to buy" option. Basically when its time to return the car its up to customer if they want to buy the car since that is what the dealership will do anyway.

As far as modding goes, its been fun with my fbody but for now I just need a car I fill up with gas and do oil changes.

v6s models are 250-300 a month for mustang/camaro.
What about the v8 models? Is anyone leasing?
Old 09-20-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

Every dealer is going to be different based on the demand for the cars in that particular market. But a while ago I was thinking about leasing a car and checked at the Chevy and Ford dealership after seeing advertising on TV for 2-3 hundred a month payments for leases (this was for a Malibu or Fusion type car). And after going to the dealership that is for the base stripper model. And to lease a nice one was like 450-500 minimum. So it really just depends, length of lease is going to play a decent part in the monthly price too, its like anything else the longer you keep it the lower you pay.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't lease one of these, at least not a V8 model. I'd want to race it and mod it, I can't see modding a leased car. Plus I owuld prob want to keep it for a longer period of time, so buying owuld make more sense.

For your situation of just wanting a nice driver to just put gas in, why not get a Elantra or something like that for less than 200/month? It'll be great on gas, and you won't have any temptation to mod it or spend any money on it besides maint. And, with a 3yr/36k mile lease, all you should have to do for maint is oil changes.

For that puropse, and if you can stay under the mileage cap, leasing makes sense to me. A lower payment than buying, and you just turn it in and get a new one after 3 years. Always having a relatively small payment is a fair tradeoff for always having a new-ish car and never having any maint issues, IMO.

I prob wouldn't do the 'buy" option at the end though, in that case you'll most likely pay more for the car than if you had just bought it outright.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Banned

I prob wouldn't do the 'buy" option at the end though, in that case you'll most likely pay more for the car than if you had just bought it outright.
most likely yes, but stick it out and walk away often and you can get it lower.
Did the same thing with my silverado. I needed a new truck, but couldnt afford the new truck buying it outright. So, with the lease, i was able to get payments I could afford, while still paying less than buying it straight. Tip here is getting them down to their lowest price with you "buying" it, then flip it on them that you really want to lease it instead.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Junkie

camaro was leasing at 450 and 5.0 at 489.
Too much for me right now, so bought a cobalt ss.

Perfect chance to get a cam, stall and 4.10 gears
Old 09-24-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so did keep your camao? or do we need to all mock you for trading in your f-body for a wrong wheel drive piece of domestic rice?
Old 09-24-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
camaro was leasing at 450 and 5.0 at 489.
Too much for me right now, so bought a cobalt ss.

Perfect chance to get a cam, stall and 4.10 gears
Originally Posted by Fry_
so did keep your camao? or do we need to all mock you for trading in your f-body for a wrong wheel drive piece of domestic rice?

I 'd guess so...

Didn't know I woulda lost my "playa card" if I did.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well from what I do know about the newer turbo'd 4bangers (i was looking into getting a solstice gtp for a short while) is that with a good tune and a offroad down pipe some of us with mostly stock rides will have to watch out for you because you'll be putting down300+fwhp. but I'm still gana call it wrong wheel drive domestic rice and getting an automatic is kind of laim to. sorry to rag on you but I feel requiered to because you broke one of the hotrodder comandments "tho shalt not sell your supped-up V8 for a 4banger".

oh and you have to have a tune for any mods to have any affect because torque management will "learn down" your power output.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:08 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I leased a 2004 Cobra when it was new. Saved a huge chunk of cash. Drove it like it was meant to be driven then turned it in when I was done.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not only can you not go over a certain mileage, you can't do upgrades to it, because the "factory" still "owns" it.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by NVUSZ28
you can't do upgrades to it, because the "factory" still "owns" it.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Regular

A lease can be a good deal if the terms work for you. If you plan on keeping the car you want a low residual but that means a higher payment. There's a lot to consider before you sign off on a lease.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

leasing is cool if its a boring/daily car.. I wouldnt lease a car your gonna want to make faster and plan on keeping
Old 09-25-2011, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

well from what I do know about the newer turbo'd 4bangers (i was looking into getting a solstice gtp for a short while) is that with a good tune and a offroad down pipe some of us with mostly stock rides will have to watch out for you because you'll be putting down300+fwhp. but I'm still gana call it wrong wheel drive domestic rice and getting an automatic is kind of laim to. sorry to rag on you but I feel requiered to because you broke one of the hotrodder comandments "tho shalt not sell your supped-up V8 for a 4banger".

oh and you have to have a tune for any mods to have any affect because torque management will "learn down" your power output.
The solstice is rwd isn't it?
Old 09-25-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

the cobalt ss (turbo and supercharged) are always manual.
No I didn't sell my camaro to pay for the cobalt.
I was considering selling it if I leased one of the new pony cars.

Right now I dealing with my credit union to approve a decent loan on the cobalt.

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I leased a 2004 Cobra when it was new. Saved a huge chunk of cash. Drove it like it was meant to be driven then turned it in when I was done.
NICE! && you have a sweet car in your sig sir!

Originally Posted by wav3form
A lease can be a good deal if the terms work for you. If you plan on keeping the car you want a low residual but that means a higher payment. There's a lot to consider before you sign off on a lease.
yes, thats why i just opted for a car i could comfortably make payments on and mod if i wanted to.

Originally Posted by 00ls1z
The solstice is rwd isn't it?
I believe so

Quick Reply: Leasing v8 mustang or camaro