Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How much power did you make before your factory t-56 died?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much power did you make before your factory t-56 died?!

About to be making 550whp and 500tq and was wondering how well my factory t-56 will hold up? I dont want to spend 2k to beef up my tranny if its not necessary! Is there a cost effective alternative? Any input is greatly appreciated!! Thanks
Old 09-19-2011, 06:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im just under 600 rwhp and 600 rwtq and its still kicking

not gonna lie im waiting for it to explode though
Old 09-19-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

... about 500rwhp/500rwt and still going strong for 8,000 miles (82,000 total miles). It will be interesting to see what happens once I bolt up a set of 28" slicks though.

I didn't want to chance the rear, so I installed a spooled S60 and I will probably go with a Tick Performance Level 2 build before I put too many passes on it with the slicks.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Is there anything i can do in my garage to help out with longevity? ill be running a procharger with a cam and should make some good power. im upgrading to a 12 bolt with 410's. i already run some 305 drag radials. plus ive got a spec stage 3+ clutch. the tranny seems to be the weakest link and dont want to be pulling this tranny again!
Old 09-19-2011, 07:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think if you slip the clutch at the track with no power shifting (track r street) you will have nothing to worry about. I ran my car cam only with nitrous for 4yrs then h/c nitrous for 3yrs with my M6. Never had a problem and my power was 495rwhp/475rwtq (cam only) then 565rwhp/585rwtq (h/c). Ran DRs all the time.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ranedoss27
Is there anything i can do in my garage to help out with longevity? ill be running a procharger with a cam and should make some good power. im upgrading to a 12 bolt with 410's. i already run some 305 drag radials. plus ive got a spec stage 3+ clutch. the tranny seems to be the weakest link and dont want to be pulling this tranny again!
When you had the tranny out, did you install a scattershield? This will be my worry until I pull my tranny for a Tick build/shield install. I don't know how many 1/4 mile tracks actually check for a shield so I will probably stick with 1/8 mile until the install.

Originally Posted by red fury
I think if you slip the clutch at the track with no power shifting (track r street) you will have nothing to worry about. I ran my car cam only with nitrous for 4yrs then h/c nitrous for 3yrs with my M6. Never had a problem and my power was 495rwhp/475rwtq (cam only) then 565rwhp/585rwtq (h/c). Ran DRs all the time.
It is nice to see a stock T-56 stay together under such power.

Last edited by BrianSF-GA; 09-20-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Sweet thanks guys! Looks like ill just have someone check the tranny over and make sure there isnt any unusual wear on anything and if all checks out ill just stick it back up in there!
Old 09-20-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

good clutch with tick master and newer slave. and my favorite fluid I have used is Amsoil ATF.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ranedoss27
About to be making 550whp and 500tq and was wondering how well my factory t-56 will hold up? I dont want to spend 2k to beef up my tranny if its not necessary! Is there a cost effective alternative? Any input is greatly appreciated!! Thanks
As long as the clutch and hydraulics are functioning properly, the actual hard parts inside a T56 are generally pretty strong. It's the little pieces (stock stamped 3-4 keys, stock plastic fork pads, etc) that are easily damaged by any amount of horsepower. Run it and see how it does! When/if it breaks, our Level 2 is rated to hold 600RWTQ and its less than $1500 shipped both ways: http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...build-600rwtq/
Old 09-20-2011, 01:43 PM
11 Second Club

havent had any issues with mine yet. 600rwhp through a 28" drag radial and a moser 12 bolt with 4.11's.

I got 40k out of my first clutch, now im on my second. Been at 600rwhp for 8k. I lift every shift. Not worth it. As long as you treat it right, it will last. I honestly think the t56 is under rated. Most of them break from power shifting of a really bad miss shift.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

I'd say over 600 and drag slicks will send her to the grave yard
Old 09-22-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
havent had any issues with mine yet. 600rwhp through a 28" drag radial and a moser 12 bolt with 4.11's.

I got 40k out of my first clutch, now im on my second. Been at 600rwhp for 8k. I lift every shift. Not worth it. As long as you treat it right, it will last. I honestly think the t56 is under rated. Most of them break from power shifting of a really bad miss shift.
How many track passes or is the 8k strictly spirited street duty?

How many overall miles on the T-56?
Old 09-22-2011, 10:10 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA
How many track passes or is the 8k strictly spirited street duty?

How many overall miles on the T-56?
I am not a track guy. The car total has prolly about 40 passes or so at the track. Half of those passes are on drag radials. Total passes on drag radials and nitrous (not spraying out of the hole) are only 5 or so.

however, I have 3 hard years of street "running" on the car. Well over 300 runs. 100 of them or so are on the bottle.

overall miles on the T-56......80k, and bone stock. When my u-joint went in 12 bolt driveshaft, my tailshaft seal also went so I had to put a new one in. That was 10k or less ago. When I drained the fluid doing this, the fluid was spotless and looked brand new.

the car still shifts just as smooth as the day I bought it from the dealership at 40k. I beat the ***** off it on the streets. I just always lift on my shifts, and never power shift it. I also have my nitrous delayed to spray less then half a second after every shift, so im not putting stress on it instantly after the shift, or if my shift just so happens to be a little slower then usual or something the car isnt already spraying before my shift is over. I also have full suspension under my car as well.

I believe with maintenance and using your head, these can last a long time.

when your doing clutch dump burnouts, no lift shifting/power shifting/missing gears etc. is when things break.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
I am not a track guy. The car total has prolly about 40 passes or so at the track. Half of those passes are on drag radials. Total passes on drag radials and nitrous (not spraying out of the hole) are only 5 or so.

however, I have 3 hard years of street "running" on the car. Well over 300 runs. 100 of them or so are on the bottle.

overall miles on the T-56......80k, and bone stock. When my u-joint went in 12 bolt driveshaft, my tailshaft seal also went so I had to put a new one in. That was 10k or less ago. When I drained the fluid doing this, the fluid was spotless and looked brand new.

the car still shifts just as smooth as the day I bought it from the dealership at 40k. I beat the ***** off it on the streets. I just always lift on my shifts, and never power shift it. I also have my nitrous delayed to spray less then half a second after every shift, so im not putting stress on it instantly after the shift, or if my shift just so happens to be a little slower then usual or something the car isnt already spraying before my shift is over. I also have full suspension under my car as well.

I believe with maintenance and using your head, these can last a long time.

when your doing clutch dump burnouts, no lift shifting/power shifting/missing gears etc. is when things break.
Good points ... I agree. 80k on mine as well and is currently shifting great. No power shifts or side stepping the clutch here either. I am currently working on a track setup since I only street drive the car occasionally to the office and around town on the weekends. Once I go rear coilovers, the rear will be done and I will be moving to the front then a cage and then track wheels/tires.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:52 PM
11 Second Club

If you lift on your shifts you should be fine mine didnt break until I started power shifting. 590/585~nitrous. It broke on the last pass on the last track day at Gateway International Raceway before they closed their doors.

Quick Reply: How much power did you make before your factory t-56 died?!